Turbocharged 6-71 Detroit Diesel Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Being a 2 cycle, probably turbo and blown intake system. it is possible to get a runaway engine.  It happens if there is an introduction of oil (fuel, crankcase etc) into the air intake.  Any oil will become fuel and since the air intake is always wide open if there is enough of a oil leak it will keep the engine running.  There is a drive link for the blower which is designed to fail before engine damage occurs.  If there is a kill switch on the dash, it will be a damper that blocks air from getting into the engine, thus shutting it off. It sounds
worse than it is, just be aware of the intake air blockage method.

I can't remember if you can install spring loaded rack to these old 671's.
I have updated a lot of 16V149 Detroit's. It makes it a much safer unit virtually eliminates a runaway.

The fellow doing the selling couldn't answer half of my questions, as he had only had the bus for a year, and only been in it about 6 months. I was often talking over his head about it. So I decided to let it go, since I couldn't get any real info from him about it.  Just as well now that I've learned that my 2014 Beetle cannot be towed on a dolly but would need a trailer. Sigh. This is all going to take longer than I thought.

Gingercat. I think you my be mistaken about your Beetle. If it is front wheel drive it can indeed be towed on a dolly, a manual transmissission can be flat towed a max of 50 miles at 50 MPH, an automatic cannot be flat towed, Flat tow and dolly are two completely different ways of towing.

Bill

Gingercat said:
The fellow doing the selling couldn't answer half of my questions, as he had only had the bus for a year, and only been in it about 6 months. I was often talking over his head about it. So I decided to let it go, since I couldn't get any real info from him about it.  Just as well now that I've learned that my 2014 Beetle cannot be towed on a dolly but would need a trailer. Sigh. This is all going to take longer than I thought.
  The decision you made is the correct one. I know you will find something. Good luck in your search! ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom