RVing university

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Has anybody attended any of the RV universities presented in, I think, TX, ID, and FL?  Any opinions?  Recommendations?  I think there's one in FL, but I'd attend one in the west. 

--pat

Do you perhaps mean the  Life On Wheels seminars?  I think forum members Peter & Collette Cashmore are (are have been) instructors in that series (in Idaho, if I remember correctly).

I did the Life On Wheels week in Idaho couple of years ago. Loved it. Lecturers have been there, done that and did a good job of explaining.

I heard it described as RVing University, held in july in Moscow ID.  I attended one day of a 3-day rally at Beaudry's in Tucson last year, and all the classes ended up being people selling products.  I used to belong to a professional organization where speakers were instructed that no selling or mention of their specific products was allowed during the conferences.  They were all closely monitored and not allowed to return if they failed to comply.  I'm interested in this kind of unbiased training.

--pat

Pat said:
I heard it described as RVing University, held in july in Moscow ID.? I attended one day of a 3-day rally at Beaudry's in Tucson last year, and all the classes ended up being people selling products.? I used to belong to a professional organization where speakers were instructed that no selling or mention of their specific products was allowed during the conferences.? They were all closely monitored and not allowed to return if they failed to comply.? I'm interested in this kind of unbiased training.
--pat

From what I have heard about the RVing university held in Moscow Id it is very well done.  Not a sales campaign as I would expect at the place you mentioned.

Jerry:  I think I'm going to save my sheckiels and make summer 2006 an eclectic experience.  Moab first, then maybe visiting a friend around Denver, then Moscow for RVing U, then who knows. 

--pat

We just attended the Life on Wheels classes in Tucson this week (March 15, 2007), which we highly recommend. They also present these three-day sessions in other cities, but their home base is Moscow, Idaho, where the sessions are five days. The founder and one of the teachers is Gaylord Maxwell. They offered about nine or ten different classes during each period of one and one-half hours, plus three evening entertainment presentations (well, one was a free lasagna dinner at Beaudry's). There was no organized selling and instructors observed the no-selling rules.

We found the instructors and the materials taught to be excellent. Their instruction was top notch for what we wanted, which was introductory information and some nuts and bolts how-to's. They also have many available details classes and fun, travel-oriented classes. Many of the students were newbies, but there were many experienced RVers -- some for decades. Quite a few had attended multiple times before. Very well worth it!

I was close enough to attend the Life on Wheels  classes, if I had known.  Where they definitely education, or where they vendors selling?  I was at Beaudry's one year when an RVing group had "classes" that ended up being nothing but sales pitches.

--pat

We have helped develop several "generic" video and slide presentation for presentors at Life On Wheels over the last few years and even videotaped the entire event in Bowling Green KY and it is an outstanding educational session.  Instructors are strictly prohibited from selling items and their presentations are critiqued thoroughly.  If you have not attended Mac McCoy's fire safety seminar at a LOW event you should.  Other classes include weight and tire safety conducted by The Recreational Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation and Jerry does an outstanding job on towing!  Gaylord Maxwell has been an instrumental educator for the RV lifestyle for many years and runs THE BEST in RV education. 

Is the curriculum listed anyplace?  I'd be interested in repair and maintenance classes also.

--pat

I'd be interested in repair and maintenance classes also.

Pat, I don't know what kind of RV you have, but the manufacturers sometimes have classes pertaining to their specific line of RVs.  They're usually associated with a rally, but Monaco, for example, even has classes you can attend while waiting for service at the factory.  The manufacturer classes might pertain to maximizing power management in your rig, engine care and usage, batteries, interior care such as for Corian counters, and the like.  These are all useful and I would recommend them for those who are new to the RVing lifestyle or have a new RV they want to know more about.

ArdraF

AF:

I have a Chinook, and they went out of business a couple years ago.

Somebody in this park where I'm spending a month told me he had another model of Chinook that split in half along where the two halves of the mold are bolted and fiberglasses together.  Now I have something new to worry about.

--pat

Pat,

Yes, quite a few of the older manurfacturers split their chassis in half to lengthen them in the belief their motorhomes would be more livable.  The chassis mfgrs. finally caught on and beefed up their chassis and added heavier duty engines to handle heavier loads.  Eventually they were able to put Class A styles on what really amounted to a larger Class C chassis.  I don't recall hearing about any of the old ones splitting in half, but I suppose it might have happened.  I assume that's your worry.  If so, I would suggest that keeping your weight down is your best course of action.  If you haven't already done so, go to a weigh station and weigh each axle.  Each specific chassis has a front and rear axle weight over which you should not go.  Sometimes you need to shift things around so you get a more equitable weight distribution for both the front and rear axles, as well as side-to-side, but if you weigh more than the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) then you need to start discarding some of your "stuff."  While you're at it, make sure your tires are properly inflated because either underfilled or overfilled tires can present problems.  If you're too heavy, neither the axles nor the tires can handle the load.

ArdraF

The concern isn't the chassis but the body shell.  However, I haven't heard of any such problem with Chinook or any other model.  I suppose in an accident it would be possible to crack the shell along the seam, but in that case there would be bigger problems to worry about ;)

Ned:  Thanks.  That's correct, it's the body shell.  It's something like 3/16" thick fiberglass and bolted together along the halves, so I believe it will hold up fine.  I get a little nervous when somebody walks in and says something like, "Oh, gee, I had a motorhome like this and it fell apart."  I believe you are correct that he was in an accident. 

I don't overload and I do check axle, side, and wheel weights.

--pat

I don't overload and I do check axle, side, and wheel weights.

Great!  So go on and enjoy yourself because you're on the right track.  ;)

ArdraF

Ever give a thought that the person was impressed with your rig and tried to spook you into selling it at a much reduced price. ;D ;D ;D

I have never seen something like this that happened.

Back
Top Bottom