Taking delivery of new motor home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1PlasticMan1

In a few weeks I will be taking delivery of our new Bounder, and am looking for a checklist to use before accepting it from the dealer.  I see checklists for purchasing a used motor home, but nothing for a new motor home.  Is there anything in the library under this topic?

Pretty much the same list. Make sure everything works and nothing leaks.  Do not assume the factory or the dealer verified everything. Or even most things. A few dealers do a very comprehensive PDI, but most allocate about an hour of a tech's time for a quick checkup. A better than average sales person will do their own check to help assure a happy customer, but that's typically just a visual once-over.

Then plan on spending 2-3 days in the RV before leaving the immediate area, and preferably without leaving the dealer  site. You will discover still more things don't work as expected, or questions you need to have answered.

Hey, congratulations PlasticMan1. When we bought our latest motorhome (almost new), I modified one of the checklists to include specific things that were unique to our model of coach. I emailed it to the salesman a week before we took delivery, so they knew exactly what we'd be looking at. Other than doing something like that, I think you'll just have to follow along closely with the person who's doing your walk-through and hope they do a thorough job. I took along a small video recorder to record some of the things that were different than our previous motorhomes (slide operation, location of fuses and circuit breaker panels etc.).

If a dealer has been selling a particular product for awhile, the person doing the walk-through will, hopefully, be very familiar with your coach and how everything works - but... who knows. If you don't live near the dealer, the best advice I could give is to camp somewhere near the dealer after taking delivery, and then operate eveything in the coach. Pull out every drawer, turn on every light and so on. You may find something that isn't working, or that that doesn't fit correctly. A dealer you just purchased from will usually be much more inclined to get you in quickly to fix something than a dealer in a different town.

Once again, congratulations!

Kev

Thanks, Gary and Kev.  Kev, am sending you my e-mail address if you wouldn't mind sending me your list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Joe...

I got your PM and sent the checklist a few minutes ago. Let me know if you need anything else. (Sorry I took so long... been traveling.)

Kev

Thanks, Kevin.  I also sent to you the list that I had developed before I got yours.  Yours is more encompassing, so am going to revise mine.  Thanks again. 

I mention this because I have been bitten twice by this issue on both of the new motor homes I have purchased. When you do your walk through and before you sign off make certain that you get in writing that that caulk and sealants have been inspected and are good throughout your warranty period. I failed on either coach to have this done and on both coaches I had to pay over $400.00 to have caulking and sealants done in the first year of Ownership.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom