Internet solutions in Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HatulBitzot

We are planning to stay few months in Canada with our American RV.
We are in the US now and we use the Verizon Jetpack MIFI on a prepaid plan. We consume about 5GB per month and we are looking for the best solution for such requirements in Canada.
Any recommendations form the forum members?
Thanks in advance 

Celluar data plans in Canada are very expensive.  We turn our Verizon Jetpack off and disable the data feature on our phones.  We find plenty of public wifi sources, even in Newfoundland.

Jeannine

Cellular plans in canada are expensive..especially if we leave the country...

Lots of free wifi here..for your cell phone, use viber...

Grassy

When I traveled to Alaska a few years back, I checked Verizon prices in Canada. It would have cost $2000 per gig. Instead I went to Canadian provider "Telus" and purchased a USB modem outright. It was about $250 for the modem, but then the monthly rate was around $50.  When I returned from the trip I sold the modem and recouped about 50% of the cost. 

Thank you Jeannine, grassy and SargeW for your comments,
I know that it is going to be a problem, maybe SargeW suggestion may work for me, I will check this option at the first Canadian city after crossing the border.
Thank you all,
HatulBitzot

Did you check for a roaming rate with Verizon? I would start there. If that doesn't work, I would go with the free WiFi spots. There is at least one at every campground and some have them throughout the campground. All the Tim Hortons and McDonalds plus many other places have free WiFi.

If you spend the time talking to Canadian wireless carriers and resellers you might find one that is willing to bend the rules and let you have an account.  Normally, the problem is your lack of a Canadian address but some smaller retailers might be willing to bend the rules a bit.  I won't be any more specific, but it can be done.

One word - "McDonalds"....

Got me by for email and blog update and then a couple campgrounds that had liveable WiFi and all was well - Verizon HotSpot worked great in most areas of Alaska....

Good Luck,

Jim

I am posting this using the campground WIFI in Quebec. My current address is Camping Juneau-Chalets,153 Chemin du Lac,Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures, QC G3A 1W7.
I would just  turn the jetpack off, I did, the roaming voice rates are about a dollar a minute. Turn Data off on your phones and enjoy the solitude. You can use the campground WIFI but some have limits on time or data or both. Be carful when you get close to the border you may pick up a cell tower in Canada. Last week in Eastport Maine we couldn't get a US cell tower and the campground had a 30 minuet limit on free access per devise per day. You could by more but it was expensive. As others have commented you can find WIFI at restaurants.
Sad how addicted we are to our instant communication.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom