pet safety in RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frownie56

I am traveling with my two Jack Russells and i am worried about when I am in a campground and there is a power outage when I am away from the RV and my Jacks being in the RV without an AC. I was wondering if there was something I could put on my RV to have the generator kick on automatically if that happens. I heard of a horrible situation where that happened and RVers came home to pets that passed away because of the heat.

You would need an automatic transfer switch and a generator that is designed to start and stop when signaled by the t/s. These are very common for stationary applications but I don't know if available for rv's.

It would help those who are technical to know what type of RV you have and also what type of generator.  Some, like mine, come with an Auto Gen Start feature.

I have exactly that setup in my MH. The generator will start when the temp is too high inside, when the batteries are down to a set voltage, or when we want it to. There is also the ability to set "quiet time" hours so the generator won't start during the night if one of the parameters are met. I don't recall the specific name of the system, but it's hooked to my 10K Onan generator and IIRC is set thru the inverter control panel.

ken

Looked into auto start options a few months ago and with some recommendations from Ned and a few others, came up with a couple solutions along with a range in prices.  Here is the link to that post and recommendation if you have an Onan gen.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,81802.msg741927.html#msg741927.

Keep in mind, if you do not already have an Automatic Transfer Switch, you will need one of those too.  While I was at it, I also ordered a surge protector but that is a separate issue.  Just figured while I was rewiring everything I would do it all at the same time.

If you're camping somewhere hot, I wouldn't rely on the genny to kick in. I would suggest following this post, which describes how to set up a sensor in your RV to alert you when the temp rises/drops to a certain level:

http://gopetfriendlyblog.com/gadgets-that-keep-your-pets-safe-from-the-heat/

Anything below 90 and I would leave the windows open and put an exhaust fan on to keep air circulating (I would still have the sensor above to make sure the temps didnt get too high). What becomes a big problem in any structure (esp a RV) is when the sun is hitting it, all the windows are closed and it becomes an oven with temps rising well above those outside. With the fan(s) on and windows open - the hot air doesn't get trapped.

Dear weretherussos... This is great, the only issue for me is that I only have one cell phone. Is there any other was around getting another cell phone to me it work? I don't see how....

Another halfway in between thought is Fantastic Fans with the adjustable thermostat that will open and suck air out when it gets too hot at ceiling level. If you're really fancy I think they have a model that can either blow in or suck out. With one fan blowing in and one sucking out, you might get enough air movement for the rare event that you're gone, the power's out, the outside temp is too hot, and the dogs/cats are inside.

Ken

Wearetherussos, thanks so much for the link to the pet friendly blog. It is fabulous and will certainly help me plan my traveling adventures with my two dogs.

Rosebud3 said:
Wearetherussos, thanks so much for the link to the pet friendly blog. It is fabulous and will certainly help me plan my traveling adventures with my two dogs.

You're welcome - I know there are some other solutions out there but that was the first I found that was well written.

There are quite a few different options and a little Google time might even find some more. The auto start seems to be the easiest if your rig can adapt to that but again none are fail safe. I think the most reasonable, depending on the ambient temp and the size of your MH, is the vents open and windows cracked. A large MH is not quite the same as a small car in the sunlight. Sit in your rig in the same conditions to see just how bearable it really is, if you can't stand it neither will your pets. We travel with 3 dogs and wouldn't leave home without them, good luck.

Depending on your current set-up, the auto start can become pricey, but felt it was worth it to me.  Looking at some of the monitoring systems with the auto dialer is a lower cost solution in some situations.  Depending on times you are traveling, one of those monitoring devices and a prepaid phone plan with no activation or cancellation fees might work.  I've seen some phone plans as low as $9.99 but sure that does not includes taxes and normal misc charges.  Just cancel in the winter months or when not traveling.

But that is an alternative solution to your original post of "to have the generator kick on automatically"

Just a thought...Did a quick Google search and there are companies that offer temperature monitoring via wifi where you would get notification at certain set points or the absence of check in if the wifi would go down.  The downside of course would be that you must have wifi in the area for it to work.  We use a similar cloud app for monitoring remote access points on networks and works great.

This is similar to the system someone else suggested but that required you to have a phone at the RV for notification.

I have a Netatmo device that is sold by Apple. It is a thermostat and air quality moniter with an inside and outside function that sends info to an app on your IPhone. You will be notified by your phone according to your parameters. All you do it plug it in and download the free app for the phone. Takes less than 5 minutes. It doesn't start your generator but will let you know if you need to go home for the dogs.

Also, if you are going to leave your dogs in the RV, it might be wise to leave your keys with someone and/or the main office if there is an issue and they need to get the dogs out. It could be something like a bad accident on the road and your stuck with no way to get back or something could happen to one of you and you're not able to get back. Not something I would do everywhere but certainly would consider.

Back
Top Bottom