EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Washer/Dryer Info  (Read 1368 times)

Tschrock82

• Schrock Family Ties
Washer/Dryer Info
« on: May 17, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
My husband & I are looking into getting a TT.  It is Approx 30' in length.  Has the basic necessities. We aren't sure about the washer dryer hook up though.  Is there a way for us to use our household stackable washer and dryer ( brand .frigidaire . Affinity. ) to our new TT? Will it make a difference if we are connected to (30/50amp)? If there is a way, my plan was to build a platform (2"-3") then stack them, and build an enclosure or place them in a shed next to our site.  Helpful info only please.

Thank you so much to all.  :)
The Schrocks,
If life knocks you down - Roll over & look at the stars!

Alfa38User

• ---
Re: Washer/Dryer Info
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:39:10 AM »
Hi and Welcome!!

Edit: On re-reading your note, it sounds like you may be planning a permanent install outside the trailer itself. If you have the power and sewer available... go for it. If you will need warm or hot water, that is another consideration. If you intend on hooking it up in a trailer that you are going to tow around, then my notes below may be helpful. Many of my neighbours have household machines installed in sheds on their sites in our campground.

You might find those units take up a lot of room in a 30 footer.... Placement of the units vis a vis the axle and the total additional weight has to be a big consideration and it goes hand in hand with the total capacities of both the trailer and tow vehicle and the "stuff" you also need to carry. It adds up very quickly!!! The next thing to consider is power requirements, and this may be the killer... most household dryers used 220 V and you may not have that available in the trailer, for sure not in a trailer equipped with a 30 amp entrance. You may very well have to install the washer sharing the power with another item like the microwave (for example) arranged in a way that the two cannot be turned on at the same time. You may not have the necessary circuit capacity available in the breaker box for a single additional 15a circuit. The next thing to consider is the plumbing, hot or warm water and where to dump the waste water once the wash is finished. The grey water tank is not very big on most trailers. Most trailer HW heaters are either 6 or 10 gallons only. You will most likely need to be hooked up on a campsite with a direct sewer connection at the site or be prepared to move to the campground dump after finishing a wash. 

Despite all the negatives above though, many of us have a W/D, mine is a vented Splendide which is a combination washer AND drier and uses 120V for drying,  it takes a looong time at 120V!!. As a result we seldom used the drier and since the washer does an excellent job of spinning out any water, air drying takes very little time. Dirty water is not a problem as I have large tanks but we are also permanently parked and connected to a sewer system.

Before even considering a trailer, do your homework and then see if your tow vehicle can handle that 30fter before signing on the dotted line. Do NOT believe the salesmen who will likely will tell you that your can pull anything on his lot with your current vehicle!!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:41:28 PM by Alfa38User »
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Tschrock82

• Schrock Family Ties
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 01:22:46 PM »
Alfa38User. . . Thank you so much for your reply.  1st we are looking permanent. Only travel maybe 30 days a year (if not able to fly or is cheaper than flying to the 2nd location).  2nd, the guy/dealer we are working with to get a TT (2016-forest-river-vibe-308bhs) was very honest regarding if we are capable to towing with our current 2 vehicles. (2015 Jeep grand Cherokee [no], 1995 cheverlet Silverado 2500 [yes]). Husband looked into that further too just in case, we don't want to break down lol. 3rd, Our hook up will include 50amp connection, city sewage connection, and fee includes any E,W,S usage. We have a 100gal propane  tank for hot water. I did notice that the water to the trailer will be connected via a water hose.  Will this be an issue?
The Schrocks,

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 08:36:53 PM »
I did notice that the water to the trailer will be connected via a water hose.  Will this be an issue?

All RV use a portable hose for the water supply and this is not a problem if you select a hose designated for potable water use, and not a typical garden hose. Adding a quality pressure regulator and a whole house filter to the set-up and run the hose in the shade where possible would be desirable too.
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:14:41 AM »
The external water hose can deliver as much water as the internal plumbing in the RV can handle (all 1/2 inch water lines), so not an issue.

Your home stack washer/dryer probably requires 240v for the dryer, and THAT is a problem since your RV is only 120v. Often the dryer can be modified to use 120v power, but the drying times will double vs what you are accustomed to. And unless the washer is one of the new Eco models, it will probably use a LOT of water, which means city water for the supply and a sewer line hook-up when using the washer. Otherwise one wash load will probably fill the waste water tank (gray tank).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 08:16:22 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Tschrock82

• Schrock Family Ties
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 11:59:33 AM »
Awesome! Thank you so much. I'm understanding now.  :)
The Schrocks,

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 05:51:34 PM »
Placing them in a shed on the site and providing suitable power and drainage should work. If you have full RV 50A power available at the site, there will be 240v power at the pole, even though the RV itself does only 120. Run a 30A/240v branch circuit over to the laundry shed and a sewer line (or a separate "dry well" if local codes permit).

If the trailer is plumbed to a sewer line fulltime and has a 50A shore power system & cord, you could place the stack unit in the trailer and convert the dryer to 120. Often it is just a simple wire change. It just dries much more slowly. If it's a 30A trailer, don't even try.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 06:46:49 PM »
If the trailer is plumbed to a sewer line fulltime and has a 50A shore power system & cord, you could place the stack unit in the trailer and convert the dryer to 120.

You could also run a dedicated 220 line into the RV just for the dryer.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Hosted by Over The Network