Tow brakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PAPA BARE

I would like to know what is a good brake system for tow  for a 2008 phaeton motorhome. The car is a Nissan versa.
smi air force one
blue ox
or others

We recently installed and SMI Stay-N-Play and it works well.  One of the good things about it is that there's nothing to install in the motorhome.  But you do need a rear view camera.

If we knew we were only going to be towing a single vehicle, we'd have probably purchased a permanently installed braking system. However, we knew we'd be towing different vehicles so we opted for a portable system that we can move from car to car. We bought the RVi Brake 2, which is an updated version of the Brake Buddy type design. The RVi has a few new features and true proportional braking. It installs in less than a minute and it's only about 1/3 as tall as the BB, so I can store it in a smaller area, which is nice.

Kev

They all work decently, so it's mostly a matter of whether you want portable vs fixed. I see a lot of hand-wringing over permanent install vs portable, but the difference in hook-up time is on the order of 2-3 minutes and hardly worth the vast number of blog pages devoted to it.

The lowest cost solution is the Ready Brute Elite towbar+ brake combination. It's a fixed mount system with mechanical surge braking. I'm not a big fan of surge systems, but all the owner reports indicate it works well enough.

My own coach has the Brakemaster air system, which is semi-portable. There is a removable brake piston but the air lines and connectors stay with the vehicle.  Brake-away too, if used.

We have an article in our forum library discussing various types of Auxiliary (toad) braking systems.

I initially bought Roadmaster's prior 'removable box' (IIRC it was called Even Brake). It turned out to be a nightmare, and a Roadmaster employee subsequently apologized for the fact that I and numerous others bought that piece of junk. I've read that their newer design/model is much better. When I decided to dump the Even Brake, I replaced it with an M&G 'fixed' air brake system, and have had no problems in the last 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom