Wood or metal framed slide out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DFlan05

Hi all, my husband and I have always had a pop-up and now that our family is growing we are looking at a 5th wheel that has a slide out.  We have been warned to stay away from wood framed slide outs.  We cannot find out anywhere if the camper we are looking at is wood or metal framed.  It is a 2001 Dutchmen Classic Series, 27BH-M5.  Can anyone help answer this? I even called the contact on the Dutchmen website and they said that because they merged and the camper is older they have no idea. 

you can google "2001 Dutchman fifth wheel brochure" and view the brochure online. It looks like the Classics were "stick and tin" construction unless it had the Supreme option which was aluminum framed. It doesn't specify slide construction from what I saw, but I may have missed it.

While metal is always preferred, I don't think a wood frame in a slideout is a big deal as long as the condition is good. If not good, then all bets are off. Enclosed wood is very susceptible to rot, so signs of water intrusion are more scary in a wood frame than with metal.

The Classic series is designed primarily for a low price and I'm pretty sure all models are the "stick & tin" type, i.e. wood frame and metal siding. I would not expect to find any upscale construction or features in the Classic model, especially the older ones.

Back
Top Bottom