WalMart Overnight - GREAT WEBSITE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shayne said:
Where on this Gods green earth aren't there strange people.  I'm a good example 

Shayne,

This is ironic but I can now tell you we are not totally save anywhere. Last night we had a triple homicide right here at TGO! We don't know the details yet but the gate guard and two other males were killed. It appears to have been a domestic dispute involving a woman here at the park. So, even though there is security they are not armed and have no chance against someone with a weapon. Will that cause me to sell out and move? No! It can happen anywhere.

Tom said:
I just read the story Jim. Very tragic.

It is, Tom. The latest I've heard, and it's not official, is the woman is the daughter of the golf course owner. I don't think she was hurt but I'm sure she and her daughter are traumatized. We are about a mile from the location so had no idea anything happened. Obviously, this is an isolated incident and probably won't happen again but it shows that we are vulnerable wherever we are. Ironically the current security agency just took over this year.

Paul,

The first story is the one we have been hearing. Hadn't heard about the "other" girlfriend. We won't know what really happened for some time.

Tom said:
Thanks for the link Paul. You can also get the latest location information from Wal*Mart's web site together with phone numbers so you can call ahead rather than rely on second hand information that might have changed  ;)

Where on the Wal-Mart website do you find information on overnight camping?

Thanks

righttime said:
Where on the Wal-Mart website do you find information on overnight camping?

You don't, you ask at each store if it's permitted, and if so, where you should park.

I was at a National Forest Service campground in Oregon and almost got the crap beat out of me by a 300 tatooed idiot who got ticked off because I objected to his pit bull running loose at my campsite. I have stayed at many Walmarts and never had my life threatened. Anyone who thinks campgrounds are safer than Walmart parking lots has a lot to learn.

The most authoritative free RV Parking site I know of is Overnight RV Parking. It's not free unless you actively contribute to the listings, but every entry in their free overnight parking database is verified by a real RVer who has parked at the location. Listings are continuously updated and verified as well.  You can look up and verify sites based on location, or you can download lists of available locations by state.

Cost is $17.95 per year if you do not contribute by reporting or verifying free overnight parking locations. Free if you are actively help out. Either way it is a bargain, in my opinion.

Shayne said:
Where on this Gods green earth aren't there strange people.  I'm a good example 

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well."
- Joe Ancis

I never stayed overnight at a Wal*Mart. I try to find a good place for the doggies to run around loose -- off leash where possible. And not many Wal*Marts qualify for the doggies.

-Don- SSF, CA​

Ned said:
You don't, you ask at each store if it's permitted, and if so, where you should park.

Well stated Ned. We always ask, and we've had the service desk people suggest we not stay for a variety of reaons including recent crime, bad neighborhoods nearby but not seen, ect... If they say they wouldn't do it, you can bet we move on.

Our worse experience was in a rest area with a state police office in the main building. Over nighting was allowed, but we lost a gas cap and almost the spare tire. It pays to travel with a reasonably large dog. She surprized the daylights out of them and I gained a pry bar for my collection.

Our only bad WalMart experience was in winter in Vermont. The coach battery died and the -20 degree temp combined with the 10-15 MPH wind froze us.
Can't bame WalMart for that one.

Joe

KodiakRV said:
Thanks for the info.  I'm not sure how updated it is, however.  There are two WalMarts in our area that are not listed -- one about 5 years old, the other about 2.  It also lists one store in our area that closed a couple of years ago.

FYI, the Randy McNally road atlas of the USA/Canada/Mexico that you can buy at Walmart for around $5 has listings of all the Walmarts & Sams Clubs, but does not tell you if overnight parking is available......................but it does have amenities & store size, with a post code & street address, & also the phone #, so you can ask the store direct on route for up to date details of whether or not you can park there...................................it's also an excellent map! ;)

seilerbird said:
I was at a National Forest Service campground in Oregon and almost got the crap beat out of me by a 300 tatooed idiot who got ticked off because I objected to his pit bull running loose at my campsite.

You know.. that almost never happens to me (I'm 6'3" and over 300 pounds and carry a big stick) (no tattoes though)

But then I have a secret weapon for most of those bullies.. I just pull out my insulin kit, take out the syringe and watch 'em faint  (kidding)

Wonder why :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom