Countertop Crack - 2002 Adventurer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

Out on our first short trip of the year in Wilderness RV Park, Branson, Mo.  Rainy morning and while washing dishes I noticed a fine crack in the countertop extending from the corner of the sink almost to the edge of the countertop, about 5 inches total.  I suspect if this crack reaches the edge the crack will enlarge.  I believe this countertop is Corian and the sink is undermounted.  Has anybody had experience with this type of problem?

If this gets any worse, I may have to replace the countertop and hope that Winnebago can supply what I need (and that I have the guts to tackle the job - LOL).

Look under the countertop and see if it's supported in that area. There may be support but with a gap between it and the underside of the top. It may require some shimming or caulking to fill any gap to support the top.

I would think a good kitchen installation shop would have a Corian installer who could handle this problem with little difficulty and not a lot of expense, especially compared to R&R the countertop.

Replacing the top is not a job for a novice, and not something your wallet will appreciate.

OLDRACER said:
I would think a good kitchen installation shop would have a Corian installer who could handle this problem with little difficulty and not a lot of expense
Yes. Corian can normally be repaired "like new" by someone who knows how to do it. Relieving whatever stress caused the crack is necessary to make the repair last.

I should say that this is a hairline crack that is noticeable where it starts at the edge of the sink but is difficult to see as it goes out.  I may have misspoke when I said the top was Corian.  In reading the owners manual it says "The galley countertop and lavatory surfaces are made of beautiful and durable solid surface material."  Note that the word Corian is never used.  In inspecting the below surface area I cannot see any reason or stress source.  The coach is 13 years old and has no similar problems.

But several things are piling up on this trip which indicate it may be a tough year with maintenance problems, most minor so far.  The chassis air conditioning is not working (no cold air).  The hot water heater is not working in the electric mode.  The CD player located in the outside compartment does not work (and I have no idea if it has ever worked since I bought the coach - never tried it).  The kitchen faucet leaks when the swing arm is in a certain position. I took it apart and cannot get the nozzle off to replace whatever o ring it has under there.  I bought a new faucet and could not figure out how to install such a simple thing because of the need for extensions to reach existing plumbing.  I now realize that I need to educate myself on modern plumbing materials (Pex and those removable connections) because I have only worked with copper tubing with flare connections - ancient I know).  But this coach really passed the leak test.  In the past 5 days we have had over 6 inches of rain and no indication of a leak.  It has been stored under cover for all of it's 13 years. 

John Canfield said:
Yeah, you have a good list of maintenance odds 'n ends.  My maintenance list has a biggie - replace the tires  :p.

Ouch, that is the one we are dreading but still have at least two to three years (just starting year 5) for that.  This short trip was just sort of a shakedown for our summer long trip to the north country to visit kids and their families.  Now I hope these are the only things on the fix list this year.  Really gonna miss the Winnebago Grand National as our first trip last year was a blast.

I ordered a repair kit from Lichtsinn Motors. The repair was pretty easy and has lasted for more than five years. You can't tell where the crack was in the countertop.
Make sure that you have your coach serial number when you order from them.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

indiana journey said:
I ordered a repair kit from Lichtsinn Motors. The repair was pretty easy and has lasted for more than five years. You can't tell where the crack was in the countertop.
Make sure that you have your coach serial number when you order from them.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

What all was in the repair kit, and what did it take to do the repair?  We have a long crack in our countertop on our 2005 Winnebago Voyage.

Thanks

Paul

The kit had powder and a liquid to mix with the powder. Not sure what the liquid was, but it turned the powder into a putty like liquid that you put into the expanded crack.
The kit also had step-by-step instructions for the repair.
Sorry for the vague description, it has been a few years since I repaired our countertop.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

indiana journey said:
The kit had powder and a liquid to mix with the powder. Not sure what the liquid was, but it turned the powder into a putty like liquid that you put into the expanded crack.
The kit also had step-by-step instructions for the repair.
Sorry for the vague description, it has been a few years since I repaired our countertop.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

Thank you for the reply. I will have to check into it.

Paul

We have a 2004 adventurer, crack in counter top was caused by screw pushing up from bottom. We will have to research
possible repair or replace.

This is an older topic but one that I started so I will continue.  The crack is now more noticeable.  Called Vendura and a repair kit is $75 (was only  $35 in 2012 according to another poster) but I see there is also a Super Glue repair technique.  The repair kit is a bit of overkill because of how much it will cover (about 6 feet) when I only need a few inches so I think I will look for a local repair guy (or gal).  The countertop is no longer available so it is repair only unless I can find a used one down the road at the salvage yard (Colaw Salvage).  Doubt that a used one would be the answer - so repair it is.

So maybe you might to try something different, a little "funky" maybe, but???
You can buy powdered turquoise at crafts shops, an artist friend uses that and superglue to fill cracks in turned bowls. Level, rub out and buff, quite attractive but maybe not for everybody on a counter top. Pretty inexpensive cure.

If possible and accessible, you might glue a piece of wood or thin aluminum under the counter to slow the crack. Also I would think flushing with alcohol, sure to have grease/oil in the crack from use.

indiana journey said:
Bill,
I got the countertop repair kit from Lichtsinn's. The kit was for a small repair.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey

I will have to get back with Lichtsinns as they were the ones who referred me to Vendura, the maker of the countertops. Vendura told me right off the bat - "$75 for the kit, you still want it."  My answer - Nope.  Thanks for the info.

Out on our first short trip of the year in Wilderness RV Park, Branson, Mo. Rainy morning and while washing dishes I noticed a fine crack in the countertop extending from the corner of the sink almost to the edge of the countertop, about 5 inches total. I suspect if this crack reaches the edge the crack will enlarge. I believe this countertop is Corian and the sink is undermounted. Has anybody had experience with this type of problem?

If this gets any worse, I may have to replace the countertop and hope that Winnebago can supply what I need (and that I have the guts to tackle the job - LOL).
If you have a fine crack in your Corian countertop, it is best to take action before it gets worse. Corian is a solid surface material that is generally repairable countertop resurfacing dallas, so you may not need to replace the entire countertop. Here are a few options to consider:
If you have a fine crack in your Corian countertop, it is best to take action before it gets worse. Corian is a solid surface material that is generally repairable, so you may not need to replace the entire countertop. Here are a few options to consider:
  1. Repair the crack: You can use an epoxy or acrylic-based filler to repair the crack. This will require cleaning the area thoroughly and then filling the crack with the filler material. Once the filler has cured, you can sand and polish the area to blend it in with the rest of the countertop.
  2. Refinish the countertop: If the crack is in a highly visible area or if you want to update the look of your countertop, you can consider refinishing the entire countertop. This can involve sanding down the surface to remove any scratches or stains, and then applying a new finish to the countertop.
  3. Replace the countertop: If the crack is too severe to repair or if you want to completely change the look of your countertop, you can consider replacing the entire countertop. You can contact Winnebago to see if they have a replacement countertop that will fit your RV.
It's important to note that Corian is a trademarked brand name for a type of solid surface material, so it's possible that your countertop may be made of a different brand of solid surface material. If you're not sure what material your countertop is made of, you can contact the manufacturer or a professional countertop repair or refinishing service for advice.

I own a countertop fabrication shop. It's not really a big deal to replace a top and given the size of the counters in a RV you probably could select a replacement from a remnant which could reduce the cost significantly. Make a sketch and send it to a few fabricators, you might be surprised at how inexpensive a replacement could be. (of course it'll be more than a repair.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom