Finally did it ... 10 months in my Class B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guido

I left last summer, August 1st 2014, and have been living in the van since then. I've learned a lot and don't want to return home anytime soon. I guess I could do this for a few more years anyhow but money is getting tight and work on the road is slim to none for me.

Anyone know of any work out there lol, I'm currently around Lake Tahoe. I can't even get a call back from Mt. Zion. Unfortunately I've been out of my field for about 10 years(Electronics) and can't seem to get an interview in that field, and when I submit my resume for other jobs they won't call because the see my prior Electronics skills. Trapped in a bad bad bad place lol.

Love being on the road but I need some work.

Guido
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTjVPDH3hjvDvKAFknZvbaA

It sure seems that way, tough on the older folks that still want to work though. I'm not anywhere near retirement either.

I think you should be applying for work at RV Dealerships and/repair facilities with the goal of becoming a mobile RV tech. You have the fundamentals of electronics down and probably some motor/generator knowledge too.

One of the problems with many dealerships (and I expect the current RV Technician training program) is that the people working tech jobs don't have a background where they studied serious analog electronics. They learned "plug n play" digital and often can't solve simple problems involving troubleshooting and interpreting the results.

You would be immediately productive at repairing heating systems, water heaters, converters and inverters and possibly entertainment systems depending on your past interests.

Right now is the busy time for many RV repair places and I would guess that busy times migrate with additional spring and fall loads on these businesses.

Perhaps simply presenting yourself as who you are (a temp with training, skills and experience) and your willingness to work through their busy time may land you some work. And, if not hourly, maybe piecemeal until you gain additional RV knowledge and application skills.

Plus, this would allow you to move with the seasons for some additional time if you wish.

That said, every traveler needs an exit plan... because that time will come far to soon.

Quillback, I've never thought of myself as an auto mechanic. Although I am somewhat familiar with RVs now that I have one. I guess I could give that a shot too, ya never know.

Back
Top Bottom