2 Photos: your thoughts on this tire wear.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigSkyTrailerGuy

Small single axle trailer (StarCraft AR-One); 
One almost looks like under inflation, but Tires definitely both at the max 50psi. 
This is after 2 summers wear, maybe 6,000 miles? Chinese OEMs No-Names.
Main trailer weight (water, fridge, furnace, kitchen)  is over the driver side tire.
They're perhaps 3 years old.

Your thoughts:   
Cheap tires?
Weak springs?
Axle out of align?

Attachments

• driver side.jpg
    driver side.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 177
  • passenger side.jpg
    passenger side.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 169
When was the last time you scaled the trailer?

I will admit it does appear to be some really odd tire wear. Almost like the axle bent? (Uncertain).

Either the axle is bent or it's been severely overloaded for it to lose its natural bend. The unloaded axle should have a hump in the middle that is flattened in a normally weighted condition.

You have a severe case of negative camber and possible a negative toe, which could come from a bent axle or overloading. The quality of the tires could also exaggerate the problem. 

I maybe looking at it wrong, but it looks to me like one is wearing on the inside and the other wearing on the outside, which could indicate a very unbalanced loading.

I have a 7x12 enclosed trailer I use to haul my race bikes..(behind the MH)
Both of the tires on it have worn the inner and outer portion of the tires completely down.
Had the axle checked.    Camber and toe both good...
These tires were only 5 months old. and about 7-8,000 miles on them.
They looked like under inflated, but I had run them at 45-50 psi all the time. (max is 50psi)
3500lb axle and the tires are rated for close to that load.  My loaded trailer runs about 2500lbs
so was never overloaded.
The only answer we can come up with is the tires....
My plan is to put a set of LT tires on it, as I have put hundreds of thousands of miles on other trailers I had
with them and no problems.
Bob

I took it to a scale last year, loaded up on the way to camping, and it weighed in at 2700... exactly the max for its current OEM tires.

I had a trailer repair guy tell me the best thing I can do is to load it up like a typical camping situation, then take it get the alignment checked.
I, too, am going to put some 14" Yokos Y356 LT tires, giving me some weight breathing room at 3400.

If I need a heavier axle or helper springs, I won't cry in my beer about it.

The strange thing is, all this is the stock OEM setup, and with very normal (even Spartan) camping supplies, the trailer is so close to max.  Is Starcraft known to be a cheesy company?

I'm assuming the actual trailer weight is 5,400 pounds that would give 2,700 per side on each tire. So what is the GVWR of the RV? What is the designed weight rating of the axle?

No, Mopar, the whole trailer and its ingredients is 2700.
1360 for each tire.
I'd have to look into the axle weight rating. Where would I find that axle rating?

Ok... I wasn't sure.

As for axle rating there can be a tag screwed to the axle tube stating who manufactured the axle and some sort of model number. Better question what is the GVWR of the trailer?

I'm the original poster:  I had the axle flipped on this TT; went and got alignment checked, turns out that flip really goofed up the camber.  I'm now proudly sporting three new Yokohama LT tires.  In my mirror I could even see it was tracking better, less weaving.  Thanks to you gents for your input. 
Another satisfied LT user.

I'm guessing the axle isn't straight, i.e. is pre-stressed in a curve, so that rotating it a bit would throw off the hubs & spindle angle (camber). Glad to hear you got itback where it belongs and aligned.

Trailer tires, by and large are horrible tires. I always run regular truck tires and the wear patterns are much improved. MPG improves also

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom