Aluminum radiator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JD Sharp

Looking at a 2008 Beaver with a 400HP Cat. Does anyone know if Beaver had problems with the aluminum radiators like Country Coach did? I see that many different coaches used aluminum radiators, did they all have problems?

JSplaine said:
Looking at a 2008 Beaver with a 400HP Cat. Does anyone know if Beaver had problems with the aluminum radiators like Country Coach did? I see that many different coaches used aluminum radiators, did they all have problems?

I can't comment on any problems inherent with that particular radiator but will comment on AL radiators.  Check the radiator carefully to see if there is any external corrosion as if it has been driven on roads where salt or any chloride product has been used, the chloride ions attack the AL and rapidly destroy the fins.  It makes no matter if the road is dry, if the ions are there they will get on the radiator with the dirt or water or snow/slush.  The presence of water then accelerates the corrosion.

I lost a radiator on my Dutch Star for this reason.

Again, check the radiator carefully, maybe even remove it to inspect.  The same with the charge air cooler, CAC.

You may want to also check the underside of the RV for signs of the steel being attacked as chloride is aggressive.

You probably won't have great service records, but the aluminum radiators do require a specific maintenance regimen that you should be familiar with.

Possibly consider what Jim is saying about a removal and inspection. Costly maybe, but a lot cheaper probably in the long run to know the exact state. Since replacement costs make will make your eyes water, especially on the road under duress, getting a handle on both the cost of inspection and replacement will make you feel a lot better.

I would not hesitate to check closely on a coach of that age without any records, if that is the case.

My two cents... 8)

Kim

skyking4ar2 said:
Possibly consider what Jim is saying about a removal and inspection. Costly maybe, but a lot cheaper probably in the long run to know the exact state. Since replacement costs make will make your eyes water, especially on the road under duress, getting a handle on both the cost of inspection and replacement will make you feel a lot better.

For what it is worth, my total cost including lodging and meals to go to a copper radiator was in excess of $4000 including a 6 day delay in my trip.

I have a Holiday Ramler, Ambassador,2000 with 5.9litre cummings diesel common rail. My radiator has been acting up, I am in the market to replace or to repair soon, Can anyone on this forum advise me please ideas.

wade17 said:
I have a Holiday Ramler, Ambassador,2000 with 5.9litre cummings diesel common rail. My radiator has been acting up, I am in the market to replace or to repair soon, Can anyone on this forum advise me please ideas.

If you can get the radiator/CAC off, you can always take it to a good radiator shop for checking/repair.  However, not sure what you mean by 'acting up.'  If it is overheating you may just need to wash the cooling pac well, especially if it is a rear radiator coach.  If it is leaking, I would be planning to replace a 17 year old radiator. 

Radiator Supply in Sweet Home, OR is a good source for radiators.

Those aluminum radiators are pricey to replace, so be prepared for sticker shock. Labor is often major because rear radiator units are hard to get at and remove, and the rad itself is expensive. The $4000 that Jim Godward paid is typical and probably cheaper than some shops would charge.

Please tell us more about "acting up". Maybe yours won't need replacing yet.

I just caught this in a fast survey of the forum.  The $4000 I mentioned was in 2010 and I would guess the prices are significantly higher today.  Also I replaced the AL radiator with a copper one that was built to fit the MH in a local shop as it was both cheaper than the AL replacement and much more reliable, not as subject to the corrosion problems.

Also, the $4000 did not include the tow which CoachNet took care of nor the extra expenses of the trip delay beyond those mentioned in the other posting.

Thanks, Jim. Another friend of mine had one made for his HR Endeavor in Indiana around 2013 and paid about $4400 total.

My coach was one of those that got 'suspect' radiators (it has an aluminum core) that both CC and Monaco used prior to mid 2007.  Fortunately, mine is 10 years old and not leaking....yet.  When I was in Junction City Oregon this past September, the consistent estimate I got to R&R the radiator was $5 - $7K, depending on whether I also replaced the CAC and hydraulic oil cooler at the same time. 

Now, as to aluminum vs copper.  My father owned a radiator shop for 30 years and I worked for him in the summers.  It was no question that copper radiators were the standard but there were some aluminum radiators coming onto the scene when he died and we sold the shop.  I remember Corvettes had aluminum radiators and we repaired them with epoxy.  I have been doing some research on alum vs. copper in anticipation of what I would want for my coach when I do need to replace.  There is some opinion in the industry that aluminum is a better choice due to its better heat transfer ability.  Plus there is the cost of copper to consider.  Also, some 'experts' say aluminum cores are actually more resistant to vibration and flexing and will hold up better than copper.  So, not sure what I would get but these are things to consider when making the choice. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom