Cell Service and Cost (AT&T) when visiting Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RGrimm

We are traveling into Canada this summer (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island) for a few weeks and I am wondering about Cell service (AT&T iPhones) and associated costs such a Roaming charges, voice calls and sending and receiving texts. I had read somewhere that even if you are Not using your phone (making a call or texting) but your phone is on even that Roaming charges are adding up.

So those of you who have traveled in Eastern Canada with AT&T and a smart phone (iPhone), did you have coverage? What kind of costs did you have? Did you have roaming charges if your phone was on even if you weren?t making a call or texting? I'd hate to think that I would be getting roaming charges just because my phone is powered up. But I realize todays smart phones are constantly communicating and searching for service.

Thanks in advance for your responses

-Russ

We were there a few years ago and didn't incur any voice roaming charges from AT&T. Definitely turn off data, or you will have some hefty data roaming charges. Log into your AT&T account and see what options are available. There is very good information there, and you might be able to temporarily enable expanded international features at a very reasonable rate. This is something I do for our executives when they travel.

Enjoy your trip to the Maritimes; it's beautiful up there.

I have Version but hear are my suggestions. Turn Data off it will update and drive up your roaming charges. My roaming rate for voice is about $1.00 per minuet. Use WIFI to check mail and your other surfing.  Most campgrounds have WIFI but some charge and some limit how much time data you can use free. Last week in Eastport Main we couldn't get a tower on the US side to connect so be carful when you are close to the border. The campground had free WIFI for 30 minuets a day for each devise with additional time available for a fee. 
My current address is Camping Juneau-Chalets,153 Chemin du Lac,Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures, QC G3A 1W7.
This campground has free WIFI for two devises.
Are you going to Acadia National park when you are up this way? How about Campobello island?
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
........ Are you going to Acadia National park when you are up this way? How about Campobello island?
Bill

Bill,
Thanks for your reply. We leave Florida in about 10 days to start our summer trip.

We are going to Acadia NP, but at this point we hadn't planned on Campobello Island to visit Roosevelt's summer home, but that may change.

Russ

Hear is the place we stayed while visiting Acadia and Bar Harbor. Nice campground.
Forest Ridge Campground,2 Our Way,Ellsworth, ME 04605,United States
forestridgecampground.com, 1 207-664-7070
When you go to Bar Harbor try Geddy's Restaurant, good food reasonable prices. You can't miss it has a moose on the roof.
I drove up the east cost from DC so if you have any questions.
Today in Montreal.
Bill

Thanks for the information Bill.  We will certainly check out Geddy's, it looks like a neat place to eat.

Our route will bring us in to the Salisbury, MA from the west through NY, NH, and VT.

Russ

Have you got a E-ZPASS so you can get a discount on tolls and bridges? If you don't want to do it on line they have walk in centers. I stopped in at one in New Hampshire but I would look on line and call You could save 50% on tolls.
Bill

Bill,

We were originally from PA so have had an EZ-Pass for our car for many, many years. Knowing I was doing this trip I had purchased an EZ-Pass (RV Commercial) for the Coach that covers the Coach and toad. It is nice that the EZ-Pass covers the entire NE. It would be nice if the entire country would access EZ-Pass. Here in Florida the use a Sunpass and it is only good in Florida.

It sure would be nice to have a universal pass for all of USA.

Russ

Attachments

• EZPass_Map.jpg
    EZPass_Map.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV