Credit Card Security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few years ago a couple of cashiers at one of our local indy stations were stealing CC numbers. I'm not sure exactly how they did it but it was definitely low tech, like copying the numbers or reading the store copy of an older style receipt that had the entire number instead of just the last four. Here in NJ self serve gasoline is illegal (diesel is OK - go figure) so you always have to give up your card even at pay at pump islands - the attendant runs the card. In one incident the attendant would claim a problem with the on-pump reader and take the card into the booth, where he would double run the charge then convert the extra entry to cash.

The leave an invalid card trick won't work in a lot of places because in order to unlock the pump the card needs to be run for a validation check. If the card is expired or deactivated the system will reject it.

Ray

Make sure to actually look at the receipt when you get it. Once in Whitehorse YT,  I put in $230 worth of Diesel, the receipt said $2320.

Attendant said not to worry, company would "catch it", No way.

I made them cancel, give me proof, and used a different card.

Scam? Not sure.

For the most part I use Discover.
They send me a text immediately after any charge.  It keeps me informed. NP

thomasamski said:
I have an American Express Gold Card and use it rarely because they were questioning my charges too often. Once I was at a business meeting the AMEX refused to charge. It was embarrassing as hell. I understand the security, but they do go overboard. I still have the card, but my bank VISA is my card of choice. As for leaving a card with a cashier ... I don't do that. Ever.
I have found smaller credit unions to be a lot less paranoid than any of the well known credit cards from large banks and such.

I too have had credit cards rejected. Several times. Not once from any fault of my own.

But often for other reasons besides security.  For one example (I could give many more) my Chevron credit card got rejected while in Canada.  So I called them to see what the problem was.

The problem was they were updating their system software and their new system could not handle the  city name here of "South San Francisco."  This city name was  too long for their new system (but was fine with their old system) so the system simply rejected it.

After some hassle, they discovered the city name here could be entered into their system manually but only as "S San Fran".

-Don-  SSF, CA

Ernie n Tara said:
We just have them authorize an amount higher than we need and keep the card. They only charge for what you actually get. Works at major truck stops and most, if not all, others. I occasionally check my log against credit card bills to verify proper charges. Haven't found a problem in the five years we've done this.

Ernie

I spent a couple of months in Florida last year and did this at each fill. No problems. I think it's the way to go.

If the pump won't take my card , I  use my Paypal card.  I get an email each time it is used giving me the amount and where it was used. Often times my phone will notify me of the transaction before I walk away from the counter.

Identity theft is out of control and there isn't a whole lot you can do about it thats why our bank cards and credit cards do not hold us liable for fraudulent charges. I've had about 6 incidents in the past 10 years where either a debit or credit card had been compromised and there is no pattern. A month or so ago a bank debit card of ours was compromised and flagged by the merchant not the bank, we moved our accounts to Chase. Staples flagged an attempted purchase of an iPad in Massachusetts to be shipped to an address in California.

We disputed the purchase and stopped the transaction when they called us. That card was only used twice in two places that we frequent often in a period of several months. It doesn't matter where you use your card, somebody in a car near by with a card sniffer can get your info, then the number gets sold on the deep web and the buyers use them until the transactions get flagged.

We make a habit of using credit cards vs debit cards that are connected to our personal cash accounts.  Either way eventually they are going to get you but just make sure you have complete fraud protection.

somebody in a car near by with a card sniffer can get your info

That's not completely true.  A mag stripe card like most of us in the US use can't be sniffed at all, it needs to be swiped.  A chip and PIN card, while the chip can be read at close range, is useless without the PIN, making it much safer than the mag stripe.

Identity theft is much more than just stealing credit card numbers and is much more serious and difficult to resolve.

Lou Schneider said:
One thing I don't like about using the chipped card is you have to insert it into the reader and leave it there until the transaction finishes.  This means you're basically tied to the terminal until the checkout process closes out - you can't just swipe it while the cashier is entering your purchases and then put it back in your wallet.

In Canada where all the cards are chipped, you simply don't bring your card out until the cashier is finished tallying your purchases.  It's a change in behavior, since I, also, usually swipe my card while the goods are being checked, but it's really not a big deal once you get used to it.

powderman said:
I get an email each time it is used giving me the amount and where it was used. Often times my phone will notify me of the transaction before I walk away from the counter.

Many banks can do the same thing if you go to your account on their websites.  For example, I have my Wells Fargo debit card set so that I am notified of "swiped" transactions only above a certain $$ amount, but I am notified of all online, phone or international usage.  The notification emails come immediately after the card is used.

Ned said:
That's not completely true.  A mag stripe card like most of us in the US use can't be sniffed at all, it needs to be swiped.  A chip and PIN card, while the chip can be read at close range, is useless without the PIN, making it much safer than the mag stripe.

Identity theft is much more than just stealing credit card numbers and is much more serious and difficult to resolve.
I agree and the technology for thieves is improving as fast as all other technology.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom