Xantrex inverts - won't charge??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PorscheMark

Just finished a 400 mile trip, and staying at a friends house, where we plugged into his 50a box that we've plugged into before.

ACs all work fine, all outlets working, but the Xantrex control and LED shows "INVERTING" and not charging. Any ideas?? Neither of the circuit breakers to the invertor/charger are tripped.

It is a Xantrex RV GS series inverter/charger with a RC/GS remote control.

Have you unplugged from shore power and checked to ensure that the unit is really "inverting"?  Does it actually have 120vac output?  Are the breakers you mentioned mounted on the I/C itself?  How about the circuit breaker in the main Distribution panel that feeds the I/C?

If the inverter is really providing an output, with external power applied, and the breakers are all GOOD, I think you have a problem with the internal transfer switch of the Xantrex.

You could try a total system reset by removing all power (AC and DC) from the unit for a few minutes.  You should also disconnect the RC/GS remote.  Make sure the unit is OFF before plugging the remote back in, and use the remote to turn the unit back on.

Thanks, Lou.

The breakers are the AC current breakers on the main elec panel on the coach. There's a 30a reset on the unit, but it is not popped.

I'm headed to Tiffin in Red Bay next week, so may just let then add this to the list of things to check. Get the most out of the Extended Warranty.

I'll try the reset you described.

Did the reset, and checked a bunch of points with a meter. The unit IS getting AC power, so I think Lou is right, that it is internal to the Xantrex. Worst case, I'll throw a charger on the batteries, if they start running down.

The unit will invert as long as it doesn't sense (internally) 120v power from the coach. If you can verify that 120v is actually reaching the lugs on the inverter, then the problem is internal.  Probably the sense circuit, but maybe the internal transfer switch itself.

While plugged in, can I disconnect the AC in's and out's from the Xantrex, and connect them together for power, without damaging anything?

The only risk in doing that is that the input circuit breaker is 30A, whereas the outputs are 2 x 15A, so you lose a little protection on the individual output branch circuits. Functionally it is fine.

One last question...will the Gen and/or the engine charge the house batts? Or does this have to run through the Xantrex?

PorscheMark said:
One last question...will the Gen and/or the engine charge the house batts? Or does this have to run through the Xantrex?
The engine alternator will still charge the batteries, but you will need an external battery charger when on generator or shore power until you get the Xantrex reinstalled.

The generator merely powers the charger, so no joy there. The engine alternator, however, will do it. Not always quickly - it depends on how the electrical system is designed.

Back
Top Bottom