rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Favorite games while RVing  (Read 10200 times)

Dream Chasers

• ---
  • Be Brave - Take Risks - Nothing Beats Experience
Re: Favorite games while RVing
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2015, 08:27:51 PM »
We call 31 Blitz!  We have played with up to 15 people, but really as much fun.  We like to keep it under 10.  We play every Christmas and all ages can play. Plus it is easy to chat while playing since not so much concentration is required.
Sheryl & Bobby and Roxie the Yorkie
Polk City, Florida
2015 Forest River Berkshire 34QS
2011 Honda CRV SE

ylexot

• ---
  • Too many hobbies, not enough time.
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 06:04:34 AM »
Ingress
https://www.ingress.com/
Its like a global game of capture the flag crossed with geocaching. Get out and explore the area.

If anyone is interested in joining, let me know. I get points for recruiting.
2009 Four Winds Majestic 23A

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »
Here's the rules for the game f SCAT:  http://www.pagat.com/draw/scat.html
When we played, we started out with $.15, Every time you lost, you would put a nickel in a pot, once you were out of money, you were out of the game. You could also play with dimes or quarters.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
We started playing Settlers of Catan, which is for 3-4 people unless you have the expansion pack.  We really enjoy it.  As far as card/dice games, our mainstays are Skip-bo, Phase 10, and Fill or Bust (a dice game similar to "farkle", only it also uses cards).
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

i-Lean

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 01:15:55 PM »
You will find the best games ever in my truck!!

IMHO, all the good games (just like all the good RV's) were designed and built pre-1980.  I am talking about games like Simon, Merlin, Digital Derby, and other "electronic games" from that era.  The problem with these sorts of games is and always has been the poor battery life, which was the only problem with such games then as it is now..

As an electrical engineer, I understand how to solve the battery issue, and I I re-engineer all my games to use and accept common rechargeable Li-ion batteries from easily and cheaply obtainable burner-cell-phones so they can be recharged with the RV's 12 volt systems.  The main advantage of doing this would appear at the outset to be the fact that buying replacement batteries is now a thing of the past, but the real advantage slowly reveals itself over time to be the actual battery life--  My Simon keeps a charge for well over two years on standby, and for well over a year with regular play before needing to be recharged.  Other games have similar battery lives after being modified.

Having an old gameboy sitting around with a tetris cartridge stuck in it is great until the batteries go out.  My modified gameboy has a lifespan of just shy of 4 months (of being left on continually--without ever getting shut off) when being played and of over a year on standby...

It only takes about 35 dollars in parts and one hour of time to refit any old electronic game with rechargeable batteries.  The money I save in batteries is negligible when compared to the frustration everyone is spared from from when the batteries do not die in an hour.

i-Lean is loaded with games!!  She is nothing if she is not fun!!
i-Lean to keep from falling.  i-Lean because water met wood.  i-Lean for the weight I am hauling.  i-Lean because leaning I should...

blw2

• ---
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »
I'm not a gamer, but DW is.
We haven't played it in years, but here's a second call out for Mancala.  Seems like it would be a great camping game

I would also think dominoes would be good.

And for Cub Scouts once, we played something called Viking's Chess.... or as I have learned through Google its real name is Kubb.  It's a great outdoor game for a small group, and I figure it could be played with firewood
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kubb
Good fun

and a vote NO - DW bought me one of those ladder ball games last Christmas  ended up throwing it out when she wasn't looking.  It was a tangle mess even before we got it completely out of the box..... and never successfully played it before it tangled again and again.  Finally pulled out the rats next and tossed it when packing for our trip last weekend....
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2015, 06:58:37 PM »
We call 31 Blitz!  We have played with up to 15 people, but really as much fun.  We like to keep it under 10.  We play every Christmas and all ages can play. Plus it is easy to chat while playing since not so much concentration is required.

I agree that the "31" card game we played was easy for most ages to play and it was easy to chat while playing.  It's interesting how many variations there are.  I remember that you would win when your cards totaled 31.  I can't remember is if they all had to be the same suit.  We played with nickels. 
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »
I agree that the "31" card game we played was easy for most ages to play and it was easy to chat while playing.  It's interesting how many variations there are.  I remember that you would win when your cards totaled 31.  I can't remember is if they all had to be the same suit.  We played with nickels.

Yes they had to be the same suit. We also played with 3 nickels and you had 1 free ride. If you lost that, you were done.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2015, 11:37:18 PM »
I can't believe no one as mentioned "Chicken". :)
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

bucks2

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2015, 03:36:01 PM »
I can't believe no one as mentioned "Chicken". :)

We play that on the way to the RV park. Boy do those little Smart cars move fast when I drift over the centerline at them........ ;D

ken

chaperall lite

• ---
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2015, 05:55:24 PM »
 :D Yes, the washer game... ours is the 16 inch box with a 4 inch box in the center.... the two boxes lock together and store washers inside.easy and small to haul...
retired Central Minnesota
2016 Puma..

Len and Jo

• ---
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2015, 09:20:09 PM »
Mexican Train.  As long as I win.

Len & Jo
The Green TARDIS
We 'B' RVing   Berkley, Michigan
The TARDIS Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRgdCTfURsg

legrandnormand

• ---
  • Retired and enjoying it since 1995
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2015, 09:40:52 PM »
Mexican Train.  As long as I win.

... and the best way to play it is "house rules", the one that invites calls the rules, since every one that plays has their own !
Normand
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
2010 Gulfstream Independance, model 8367
2009 Smart Cabriolet

pheath

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
We have many indoor games. Cards for hearts, Rumicube, Scrabble, Backgammon (our favorite) and Parchessi.
For outdoors we have the ladder game, and the Cornhole game, buuilt by my Dad and given to me about 20 years ago.
Long before it became popular.

We usually camp with 4-6 other people so this is some game being played quite often.
Joanie and Paul and Sophie (our Havanese)
32' Thor 31W
Class C Motor Home
------------------------------------------
When all is said and done, there is more said then done.

prnebs

• ---
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »
if there is 4 or more layers, Farkel is fun.  There is also a game that is reverse Farkel, where you get to give away the points.  Played with dice so doesn't take up much room.
2002 Bounder 39Z DP
2014 Ford Edge Toad

Happy Trails To You...

legrandnormand

• ---
  • Retired and enjoying it since 1995
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2015, 10:36:02 PM »
and if you do have free WI-FI, why not play on the Internet ! ;)
Normand
Trois-Rivieres, QC, Canada
2010 Gulfstream Independance, model 8367
2009 Smart Cabriolet