Winnebago/Workhorse Dash-Odometer Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoomerD

Howdy Hi Campers!

It's Boomer...back with more questions.

We sold our little Class C Minnie. Just not big enough for us.

Just got home with a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer. (extremely low miles, always garaged, used 3-4 times per year.) (and the little old lady only drove it to church on Sunday)  :p

Anyway, we bought it knowing that it has the apparently common Workhorse dash/odometer/trip meter failure. Just a bunch of black lines instead of a read-out.

I've found a couple of places that will rebuild it...for a princely sum. Anyone here had any good/bad experiences with the various companies that do this kind of thing?

Next, what all is involved with removing the entire dash cluster. I haven't really had time to do any looking...but I know from working on BMW's...it can be a real PITA...or simple as pie. (I've made pies before...they're not all that simple when done right) :D

Anyway...I'm sure I'll have other questions to ask...some dumb as h*ll, others even worse...gimme time. 8)

My display messed up in 2004, not long after I bought my 2004 Sightseer. As  I recall there were some screws in the front that had to be removed and some in the back. To get enough slack in the wiring harness to remove the ones in the back I had to pop a couple of rocker switches out from the the front and unplug the harness from them.
One thing to check is if the recall for the IP because of a com problem between it and the ABS system has been done. If not when you send the unit in for the recall they may send you a replacement with the new orange display option. That would give you a free repair. Don't know if they will still perform the recall after all this time but if they do you could luck out and get a new/rebuilt unit.

Clay L said:
My display messed up in 2004, not long after I bought my 2004 Sightseer. As  I recall there were some screws in the front that had to be removed and some in the back. To get enough slack in the wiring harness to remove the ones in the back I had to pop a couple of rocker switches out from the the front and unplug the harness from them.
One thing to check is if the recall for the IP because of a com problem between it and the ABS system has been done. If not when you send the unit in for the recall they may send you a replacement with the new orange display option. That would give you a free repair. Don't know if they will still perform the recall after all this time but if they do you could luck out and get a new/rebuilt unit.

Thanks, Clay. I'll look into that. For now, I'm gonna buy a Scan Gauge II...but will get this fixed after the summer...IF I can find the OBDII port under the dash. From reading several threads, it appears that (a) it might not have one,  or (b) if it has one, it might be in one of several places, and (c) if it does, it might be well hidden.  :D

You can eliminate option a, but c. Is in play. As built, the OBD II port is supposed to be beside the steering column. It can get moved when the MH is built onto the chassis.

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
You can eliminate option a, but c. Is in play. As built, the OBD II port is supposed to be beside the steering column. It can get moved when the MH is built onto the chassis.

Ernie

yeah...so I've read.  :mad:  Of course, once I get my busted butt down between the driver seat and the steering column, it MIGHT be staring me right in the face.

(yeah, right...like I ever live that well) :p

This project will be postponed for a couple of months while we break the coach in with our grandkids...I've ordered a Scan Gauge II for now...that should help me keep track of the vital info until I have time to do the job right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom