"Small" Diesel Pusher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motoxbob

I love the floor plan of my Class A gas and I love the size. What I don't love is the harsh F-53 ride, handling, and noise! I know a big pusher will be a whole different world but what about "small" pushers like a Thor Palazzo on the XC-S chassis or a Tiffen Breeze? Do they provide a similar level of ride comfort as the larger models? Or are they similar to my gas rig in that regard? I own a bone stock 2007 Damon on a F-53 chassis.

My first pusher was an 2006 Itasca Meridian 32T, and it handled and rode great.  I did swap out the stock shocks for Koni's after the first 2 years, but the coach itself rode and handled great.  I heard a lot of folks speculate that a shorter chassis would "porpoise" going down the road.  That is just not factual in a diesel chassis.  The pusher in the back and the generator in the front make for a great ride. 

And the added carrying capacity is huge over a gasser due to the heavier chassis for the diesel. 

Just don't take a check book when you do your first test drive of diesel pusher...  8)

We started in a diesel pusher at 38 feet, so my experience is not quite relative, but as quiet and smooth riding as diesel pushers tend to be, I cannot imagine you will be disappointed.

Sarge makes some great points that you should consider.

Personally, the maintenance costs on my diesels over that last five years have been extremely reasonable, and that cost is often offered up as a reason NOT to buy. Yes, they cost a bit more to get into, but over time, I think you would be well served.

I like 'em so much, I even have a diesel in my Jeep! There's nothing like the low end pulling power that the diesel provides, especially if you travel in the western US.

Kim

I guess I will have to just go out and test one (without my checkbook!) and find out. My motorhome is the first one I ever drove, or rode in so I have no idea. I know that I love using it when we arrive at our destination, but after 3 years of using it the journey getting there is starting to get to me!
    I really don't want a big RV. I want a smaller RV that drives good. Looking at the Tiffen Breeze it looks perfect to me but it is much smaller than the typical pusher. That's why I wondered about the overall ride and handling.

motoxbob said:
I know that I love using it when we arrive at our destination, but after 3 years of using it the journey getting there is starting to get to me!

I had the same feelings with my 2010 Fleetwood Bounder 33U. I did a test drive in a Tiffin Breeze, and it wasn't a great experience. The unit we were looking at had a terrible dash board squeak. The salesman actually said, "just turn up the radio". We ended the test drive early so I cannot make a good comment on its handling characteristics.

Ultimately we ended up going with a Class C coach, which for me helped with the journey. I never got comfortable driving my Class A, but I am at home in the Winnebago Aspect. I have long range plans that includes purchasing a diesel coach, but I am 99.9% certain it will be a Super C style coach, such as the Jayco Seneca.

Good luck in your search.

motoxbob said:
      I love the floor plan of my Class A gas and I love the size. What I don't love is the harsh F-53 ride, handling, and noise! I know a big pusher will be a whole different world but what about "small" pushers like a Thor Palazzo on the XC-S chassis or a Tiffen Breeze? Do they provide a similar level of ride comfort as the larger models? Or are they similar to my gas rig in that regard? I own a bone stock 2007 Damon on a F-53 chassis.

Have you considered modifications on your current Motorhome? Both the "harsh ride" and "noise" are likely something that can be greatly improved on. You will  be tens of thousands of dollars ahead with some simple modifications. Extra insulation and 'Donvel Ride Control' turned mine into a keeper. It has been awhile, but I think I spent about $1,200 total. If you decide this option, still go test drive the others so you can report back to us.  :)

Wheelbase length is but one factor in ride quality. In general, the longer the wheel base, the smoother the ride, but there is no length at which ride becomes good or bad. Other major factors vs an F53 gas chassis is air suspension vs spring and rear power vs front. And if you were talking about an older F53, say before 2005, any DP probably has a structurally stiffer chassis as well. Your '07 should be fairly good in that regard, though.

Another somewhat nebulous factor is the quality of the motorhome itself. DPs in general are higher priced models and part of that higher price is more care lavished on noise reduction, insulation, vibration, etc. But a larger DP is an even more expensive model and often has even greater attention to those factors.  How well Damon did on noise reduction, etc., is something I can't comment on, but some builders do better than others. It is also possible that Damon skimped a bit on your particular chassis, going on the small side to keep costs down to a minimum. 

Back
Top Bottom