2X4 vs 4X4 TO PULL 5er

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

I am researching for future purchase.  When I look for used HD pickups, almost all are Crew Cab Long Bed 4X4.  My last post answered the question of the longest possible wheelbase.  Why is the 4X4 option so popular?  If I am driving on smooth paved roads, is a 4X4 really necessary?

Gordon

4x4 isn't needed much of anywhere for dry roads, but they're a nice aid in the winter even when not towing, in many areas (obviously rarely for towing). They're also rather handy when your RV site is muddy (or soft for other reasons), and they're great if you want to do some off-roading after your trailer is set up.

You don't mention where you are, but in many areas 4x4 is the most common pickup, by far (Colorado, for example, plus much of Utah and Arizona, plus many other areas) since they are either farming areas or great places for off-roading. Also, resale value is much better in many areas.

There are several possible reasons. Some or all might apply to you. I rarely switch mine into 4 wheel drive, but when I need it, I need it.

1. The 2x2s can be hard to find, especially if you are in the northern 2/3s of the country.

2. You might occasionally encounter snow. At higher elevations, snow is not just a winter phenomena.

3. I have trucks spinning their wheels trying to park a TT or 5er on wet grass.

4. Dirt roads can get slick, especially when wet.

5. A 2x2 pickup has terrible traction when completely unloaded.

6. A 4x4 will have better trade-in value.

Joel

Not needed on smooth paved roads. I have been in a situation where 4 wheel drive would have been handy backing uphill on ice. Ice won, crushed corner of truck and cracked tail light. Thankfully the trailer just has a couple of scuffs on the fiberglass cap. If you are sure you will never use it for boondocking down dirt roads or have less than optimal conditions any where you camp, then 4 wd is not needed. But remember-"never say never"! I'm sure there is the possibility to reserve a "bad" site and have foul weather muddy things up.

On the other hand 4X4 gives up some load and towing capacity due to the extra weight of the system.

I took it one step further and special ordered manual hubs and transfer case so I could shift into 2L in case I needed it.  I've used it once in 14 years.

I would not be without 4 wheel drive - too many times I have been in loose gravel or wet grass at RV parks and pulling the trailer sometimes needs a little help. Let alone the few times I have been caught on that nice smooth highway in a late spring or early fall snowstorm, feel much more secure slipping into 4 WD.

Good luck...

Jim

Just backing my trailer into it's hidey hole at the house, I have to come in at an angle...which means front wheels have to climb the curb in reverse.  I use my 4X4 every time backing the trailer in at home.  It's one of those things....better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Being a northerner... I want a 4x for reasons that really no longer apply.

Some people believe that 4x4s are built stronger.. No evidence.

When backing however  LOW RANGE may be helpful  and 4Xs have that.

Like turning around in my yard I use 4WD so I don't spin the truck tires in the lawn. So with 4WD there is much less lawn damage compared to 2WD where the tires would eat the lawn in short order.  Another is 4WD LO for creeping around in reverse for long distance backing. Makes backing trailers long distance super simple because its traveling so slow. Dodge Ram transfer cases are 2.72:1 ratio so LO range is really low range with nearly 3:1 reduction...

I have towed with a Ford Expedition 4 wheel drive and now with a F350 2 wheel. Both have the plus and minus. A few times I did use the 4 wheel drive to park the camper in some hard to get at camp sites out west. Was good for backing up on wet grass as was talk about. I purchased the F 350 in 2 wheel cause it was used and cheap. Had only 7000 miles on it and was like new. Was going to a fifth wheel and needed more towing capacity. This truck was gas and not 4 wheel. Sold for under half its new sticker price. Just something to think about if you are buying new the resale is not as good on 2 wheel. As far as needing the 4 wheel I do just fine. I am not going to take a 40 ft rig into anything but flat sites. I have spun the tires on wet grass but you just go at it another way.

I think the reason you find so many 4x4 trucks on dealer lots is simply the "cool" factor.  More than a few people buy big-honking 4x4 trucks for their macho appeal rather than any real need, then they unload them when they prove unaffordable as a daily driver. Not to mention the monthly payments!

As the others have said, a 4x4 is nice insurance for trailer hauling. Campsites, campground roads, and yards are sometimes soft or slippery. Wet grass can be incredibly slick if over clay soil, for example. I recall one year when we got stuck three times using our truck with a limited slip differential. Would have given anything to have 4WD on those occasions!  Where did I get stuck? Once on wet grass, once on a loose gravel grade, and once when heavy rains made a bog of our nice grassy campsite. Had to get  towed to solid ground all three times, twice by a 4WD truck and once by a farm tractor.

For like myself I'm in the mountains of Idaho I get everything from heavy rains, flooded roads, muddy fields, snow covered highways, etc. But really I do most of all the driving in 2WD. I use 4WD only if I get stuck. Then return back 2WD so I've always got that Ace up my sleeve. Because out here there is a saying. "4WD will only get you 40 feet more stuck than 2WD". So if you only use 4WD as your rescue device then you'll never have issues. But I know guys out here that use 4WD instantly after leaving the pavement and BAM! They are stuck some where and need to be towed out.

Now I said it many time before I've never had tire blow outs. But I'll tell you I've had plenty of time of being stuck in the snow, mud, etc and walking out.  ::)

Mopar1973Man said:
But I know guys out here that use 4WD instantly after leaving the pavement and BAM! They are stuck some where and need to be towed out.

A winch on the front bumper is your friend  :)

But, then you always get the guy who gets stuck in the one place where there isn't a tree for 10 acres any direction.....

Frizlefrak said:
A winch on the front bumper is your friend  :)

But, then you always get the guy who gets stuck in the one place where there isn't a tree for 10 acres any direction.....

Haha... Funny story. Went out with the ATV firewood hunting. Tried crossing a mound of snow and got stuck. The ATV has a 3k pound winch on the front. I thought the same thing no problem unlock the winch and pull some line out. But it's really bad when your within INCHES of reaching a tree but just don't have enough cable.  :mad:

I have no objection to any of the above comments. The choice is for everyone to make based on their desires and experiences.

I have owned and lived on my ranches in Colorado Since 1961 and 1987, both ranches in the Mountains. Over the years I, and my employees, and family, have owned both 4X4 and 2X4 trucks. I still own both types.

I have two Dodge D-3500 2X4 trucks that are the only ones that I use when pulling, not only our 5th Wheel RV, but also our horse, Stock and Flatbed trailers when on our Colorado roads, driving for any distance.  I have not pulled any of our 5 RVs anywhere for over 50 years with a 4X4 truck. We use our 4X4 trucks on the ranch when driving off road and in normal day to day ranching work activities such as fencing, servicing machinery in fields that are rough, ditched, often wet, etc.

It is true that Colorado Mountain roads tend to be icy many times in winter months.  Mountain highways are solid pavement and many county roads are hard surface gravel surface. I can't remember ever having problems with mud, soft roads, etc., in Colorado when on the road. It is only off road where those conditions are common.

Since studded tires were invented in the late 1960's by Coors Porcelain Company, I and most of my employees have seasonally changed to studded winter tires on our light trucks, both duallys and SWD, and autos. Every Fall, about October, I put studded tires on the trucks and cars. Usually in May I have the summer tires put back on. Our experience is that studded tires all around are at least equal, and I believe better than non studded tires on 4X4's tires on ice and hard packed snow on roads. I know for sure that studded tires, all around, on 2X4 trucks are much safer when going down hill, both in lower gear and braking, on slick roads, especially when towing a trailer, than a 4X4 with non-studded tires. It is the down hill performance on slick roads, not uphill on a icy road where accidents are most likely to happen in the mountains.

Back
Top Bottom