Free water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bucks2 said:
And just imagine, Texas is less that half as big, in square miles, as the biggest state, the one who has enough water stored in the snow there to drown the state of Texas several times over. Assuming you could drive from east to west in Alaska, you could drive the equivalent of the entire state of Texas, 660 miles, and still have almost 3 times as far, still to go. Alaska is 2700 miles wide. If you want to go north-south Texas is 790 miles tall and Alaska is 1400 miles.

Ken
May be, but Texas is so big you can't see Russia from it. :D

Building cities in the desert, is like building a city below sea level, then not evacuating the 5th Ward, when a Hurricane heads your way!
I always wondered why, people in Ca, Nv, and Az, put lawns around your property, when there isn't even enough water to drink.  I'm thinking desert landscaping should be one of the many PC laws added to the left coast, along with all the others on the books, then add more taxes to fund it....because the Dems don't think you pay enough taxes there already.
Now on to important business, the earthquakes, wildfires, and mudslides.

I always wondered why, people in Ca, Nv, and Az, put lawns around your property, when there isn't even enough water to drink.

Not to mention golf courses and swimming pools.

rebelsun said:
Building cities in the desert, is like building a city below sea level, then not evacuating the 5th Ward, when a Hurricane heads your way!
I always wondered why, people in Ca, Nv, and Az, put lawns around your property, when there isn't even enough water to drink.  I'm thinking desert landscaping should be one of the many PC laws added to the left coast, along with all the others on the books, then add more taxes to fund it....because the Dems don't think you pay enough taxes there already.
Now on to important business, the earthquakes, wildfires, and mudslides.

You CAN have both....

We have xeriscaping in the front yard, and grass and trees in the back.  This place is about as dry as it gets.  The city embarked on a massive scale conservation plan 30-40 years ago, and today uses recycled water for golf courses, parks, etc.  Despite how dry it is here, we don't have water restrictions.  El Paso has the largest inland desalination plant in the world. 

Here's why we don't have restrictions.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcMxqC6W6cg

....and the "water forever" commercial

https://www.youtube.com/user/EPWU

The desalination plant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwebB1UWLTY

Frizlefrak said:
You CAN have both....

We have xeriscaping in the front yard, and grass and trees in the back.  This place is about as dry as it gets.  The city embarked on a massive scale conservation plan 30-40 years ago, and today uses recycled water for golf courses, parks, etc.  Despite how dry it is here, we don't have water restrictions.  El Paso has the largest inland desalination plant in the world. 

Here's why we don't have restrictions.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcMxqC6W6cg

....and the "water forever" commercial

https://www.youtube.com/user/EPWU

The desalination plant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwebB1UWLTY
The real question is............
How expensive is your water?

Desalinization is an extremely expensive process.  The City of Tampa, Fl. desalinizes water, and other places have looked into it, but haven't committed to it yet, because of the cost.

I'm also thinking, reclaiming sewer water, and bringing it up to drinking water standards, can't be very cheap either!

The Texas water offer is obviously in jest, but if someone could figure out a way to do it, they'd get wealthy. Our area's first desalinization plant is about to go on-line and it's the largest desalinization plant in the northern hemisphere (so they say). It's costing about 1 Billion dollars and will supply about 10% of our area's water needs. As far as I'm concerned, they should build 10 more of them. We can pay for them with the 68 Billion dollars Jerry "Moon-beam" Brown has earmarked for his "bullet train to nowhere." Talk about being out of touch!

To put our water situation in perspective, we have a single family residence with three occupants (soon to be two). We have four horses, low water-use vegetation and our biggest water consumer is our 5400 squre foot yard (total front & back). We just signed up to replace all the grass with artificial turf - at a cost of $60,000.00. At our current water rates (we're averaging a little more than $700.00 per month), and with a $6000.00 rebate and reduced yard maintenance costs, we'll break even in 10 years. And no one's under any false illusions here... water rates are only going to go up. On June 1st, a new reg went into affect County-wide (maybe State-wide - not sure), that says we can only water our yards twice a week for 10 minutes, and only after 6:00 PM. Yeah, this state's in a world of hurt.

Kev

I thought my water bill was high when it went over $50/month!  And this was during the drought years.  $700/month, I would be out of there ASAP.  That's more than our house payment.

Believe me Ned... don't think for a second that moving out of this state hasn't been a hot topic around here. I have family all over the Western U.S. and they can't believe our water and power rates - not to mention our gas/diesel and housing prices! Believe it or not, I'm not even a California-basher. This is a beautiful state - completely misguided - but beautiful. We live in a gorgeous rural setting with an incredible view - within an hour's drive of the Pacific Ocean, an international border, a large metropolitan city and beautiful mountains - and San Diego has the most moderate climate in the world (literally) - but OMG has this place become expensive!

I regularly travel all over the world and throughout the U.S. on business and I can't help but make comparisons. I was working with the Natl. Guard in Spokane, WA a couple of weeks ago, and I stopped by my brother's house in Liberty Lake (outside Spokane). He said his yard is about 2000 square feet, which is a good sized yard, but it's less than half the size of ours. And he's lucky - he doesn't have horses :) - just a wife and two boys. I just shook my head when he showed me his $44 monthly water bill. In the summer, we're paying 20 times that! - No exaggeration.

Can you imagine the RV toys I could buy with the $60,000.00 we're about to spend on fake grass!! Oh well. Time to give our dog her weekly thimble of water.

Kev

Kevin, we lived in Rancho Mirage for 2 years and loved it.  But there were just too many downsides to CA so we went on the road and never looked back.  We've been back to visit in CA many times over the years, but would never consider living there again.

rebelsun said:
The real question is............
How expensive is your water?

Desalinization is an extremely expensive process.  The City of Tampa, Fl. desalinizes water, and other places have looked into it, but haven't committed to it yet, because of the cost.

I'm also thinking, reclaiming sewer water, and bringing it up to drinking water standards, can't be very cheap either!

Bill runs me about $50 in the winter (most of which is sewer and garbage collection), and peaks about $140 in the summer...to be clear, that's the peak, not the average.  If I had to a average it over a 12 month period, I would say $75-$90 would be accurate.

Kevin Means said:
Our area's first desalinization plant is about to go on-line and it's the largest desalinization plant in the northern hemisphere. It's costing about 1 Billion dollars and will supply about 10% of our area's water needs. As far as I'm concerned, they should build 10 more of them. We can pay for them with the 68 Billion dollars Jerry "Moon-beam" Brown has earmarked for his "bullet train to nowhere." Talk about being out of touch!

To put our water situation in perspective, we have a single family residence with three occupants (soon to be two). We have four horses, low water-use vegetation and our biggest water consumer is our 5400 squre foot yard (total front & back). We just signed up to replace all the grass with artificial turf - at a cost of $60,000.00. At our current water rates (we're averaging a little more than $700.00 per month), and with a $6000.00 rebate and reduced yard maintenance costs, we'll break even in 10 years. And no one's under any false illusions here... water rates are only going to go up. On June 1st, a new reg went into affect County-wide (maybe State-wide - not sure), that says we can only water our yards twice a week for 10 minutes, and only after 6:00 PM. Yeah, this state's in a world of hurt.

Kev
One Billion Dollars to desalinize water so people can live in overcrowded, overpriced desert cities like LA and San Diego.  The climate is great in So Cal, but the leftist politics, especially Jerry Brown, gives credence to the saying.......you get the Government you elected!
Then you have the earthquakes, the predictions of a Tsunami in the near future, wildfires which are extinguished by the mudslides which follow, the high taxes, high cost of living, the CALPERS retirement system, which is grossly underfunded, and now the water issues, which continue to get worse, as growth continues, and water use grows.
The above is what makes Florida so attractive.  Rather than spending $60,000 to change landscaping, we can purchase a new house for not much more than that in many counties in Central Florida.  Then compare the $700/mo. water bill, to our $700-1000/yr. property tax bills in this area, if it's your primary residence, under the Fl. Save our Homes Law (unlike Ca. Proposition 13), low overall tax burden, low cost of living, and Florida seems a lot more cost effective.

rebelsun said:
One Billion Dollars to desalinize water so people can live in overcrowded, overpriced desert cities like LA and San Diego.  The climate is great in So Cal, but the leftist politics, especially Jerry Brown, gives credence to the saying.......you get the Government you elected!
Then you have the earthquakes, the predictions of a Tsunami in the near future, wildfires which are extinguished by the mudslides which follow, the high taxes, high cost of living, the CALPERS retirement system, which is grossly underfunded, and now the water issues, which continue to get worse, as growth continues, and water use grows.
The above is what makes Florida so attractive.  Rather than spending $60,000 to change landscaping, we can purchase a new house for not much more than that in many counties in Central Florida.  Then compare the $700/mo. water bill, to our $700-1000/yr. property tax bills in this area, if it's your primary residence, under the Fl. Save our Homes Law (unlike Ca. Proposition 13), low overall tax burden, low cost of living, and Florida seems a lot more cost effective.

Don't be surprised if a month from now you have 6 million new neighbors.... :p

Under $1000 a year for property taxes?  I may be one of your new neighbors.  I pay $3600 a year for about 1875 square feet. 

rebelsun said:
Perhaps, but too much water (salt water) is a problem Florida is going to have to contend with soon.  My Missouri with its tornadoes and icy winters still seems like a bargain.

Frizlefrak said:
Under $1000 a year for property taxes?  I may be one of your new neighbors.  I pay $3600 a year for about 1875 square feet. 

You don't need to leave TX to get lower property taxes.  Ours are well under $1000 for a half acre of land and 1200 sq. ft. house.

rebelsun said:

You forgot to mention that we also have the 2nd highest homeless population (largely a mental health issue) and 25% of the country's illegal alien population lives in California - ya think they aren't a draw on our resources. According to Zillow, the median selling price of a home, nationwide, is $178.000. The average selling price in California is $411,000 - in San Diego it's $510,000 - nearly double that of any other state. We are the country's most productive grower & exporter of agricultural products yet marijuana is our biggest cash crop. Maybe you're right - maybe I'm investing in the wrong type of grass! :eek:

Kev

Ned said:
You don't need to leave TX to get lower property taxes.  Ours are well under $1000 for a half acre of land and 1200 sq. ft. house.

True....and you already know how much I love the Hill Country....  8)

Back
Top Bottom