does size matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Gary, I've have my 1/2 ton for 20 months so I will check back after another 16 months and see what I'm driving.  Gee, If I'm not mistaking, Carl's Bronco is well over 3 yrs old!
Lowell

Mom & Dad towed a 35-foot 5th wheel for 10 years with a 1/2 ton Ford with no problems.

One man's experience is not necessarily another man's answer. Yes, trailers can be towed by 1/2 ton pickups but the bottom line is much of the time they just won't do the job. The goal here is to educate one that has no experience with information from those that do. Even though Carl does tow with a 1/2 ton does not mean others will be as lucky. We all want to make sure that everyone enjoys the RV experience without the pitfalls that many have endured. Education is the goal but only the individual can decide if their circumstances warrant the final decision. Again we all want to ensure everyone has a positive experience in RVing and buying a truck that is too small will not provide that outcome.

I disagree that Carl is only being "lucky" that he can tow with a half ton.  I believe I have learned a lot from Carl, probably more so than some of the others on this forum.  I think he and I have said much the same thing in that you need to match the trailer to the tow truck.  That is true if you have a 1/2 ton or a ton truck.  But saying a 1/2 ton isn't adequate for towing under any circumstance is not correct. The originator of this thread said he wanted a 1/2 ton truck for everday use and towing a trailer was it's secondary use.  He can have what he whats and do so safely if he just watches the weight relationships.

But saying a 1/2 ton isn't adequate for towing under any circumstance is not correct

I hope nobody thinks I said that.  I towed with a half ton Dodge Dakota myself for a couple years and Carl tows with one now. But most of the questions we get here deal with trailers at the edge or beyond what a half ton can reasonably do.  Nor is it a given that a 3/4 ton is an unacceptable daily driver for those who tow on weekends and vacations.

RV Roamer said:
I hope nobody thinks I said that.  I towed with a half ton Dodge Dakota myself for a couple years and Carl tows with one now. But most of the questions we get here deal with trailers at the edge or beyond what a half ton can reasonably do.  Nor is it a given that a 3/4 ton is an unacceptable daily driver for those who tow on weekends and vacations.

Really, at the worst, Consumer Reports says that the 250s would give a  "jiggly" ride when unloaded.  If the issue is towing a heavy trailer, even an ultra-light heavy trailer, safely -- that is no trade off in my mind.   A Bronco has a full bore high compliance 4wd suspension with quad front shocks and LT 31x10.50x15R tires.  The ride is not cushy or quiet but it is comfortable, laden or unladen.

I'll probably get creamed for this but... I went to my local Ford dealer today for some lease estimates and found out the new '07 F150 is rated at 10500# towing. (I think that is the same as the 3/4 ton)  I'm not saying that it's right, better, or will work- but the math says it will work.

You guys are probably going to see this question come up many more times. ::)

When you visited the Ford Dealer did they show documentation supporting what they told ypu?  Beware IMHO there are very few dealers or salesman that deserves blind trust.  Bottom line is demand to see these figures in writing BEFORE making a commitment for your own safety and happiness.

I don't quote dealers Ron, only Ford Motor Co.  It's 10,500# tow capacity if properly equipt.

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=24066

Ya know I don't want to complain but I feel kinda beat up on here.  I ran all the numbers before I posted originally (my question was about length not weight) I've been accused of listening to car dealers, TT dealers, and TT advertising puffery.  I have not done any of those and I don't think that I've indicated as such.  My numbers have all been based on published facts - that includes tow ratings and trailer GVWR.  I had found ULTRA-LITE trailers from 26' to 30' with floor plans we liked that fit the GVWR bill with a 20% safety margin.

Jayfeather LGT25Z 27' #6000
Coachmen Captiva 271DS 27' #5800
Dutchmen Aero Lite 27RB-SL 30' #6000
Among others we are considering.

From a numbers stand point you can buy a 30' TT of the correct GVWR and pull it safely with an F150.  That includes people - fuel - stuff and the suggested safety margin for mountains.  Now anecdotal information may say we should get a bigger truck and I'm open to those suggestions, but please all of you guys - I am checking REAL numbers not guesses or vague promises.

mysto,
I don't quote dealers Ron, only Ford Motor Co.  It's 10,500# tow capacity if properly equipt.
Technically, you're correct - but that 10,500 figure is for one configuration only: Regular cab, 4x2, 4.5liter V-8, 4.10 diff., and heavy-duty package (late availability; whatever that means). Also, if you're planning on a 5th wheel trailer, the following very important notes apply:

(1) Reduce GCWR and Maximum Trailer Weight by 500 lbs. on models with optional 18" or 20" wheels (On SuperCab, applies only to 5.4L engine).
(2) While F-150 SuperCrew (138.5" Wb) and SuperCab (132.5" Wb) 5?' box will accept a fifth-wheel hitch, current fifth-wheel trailer designs are not compatible with these models. Any questions should be referred to the trailer dealer/manufacturer.
(3) Requires Heavy Duty Payload Package (late availability).
Note: Trailer king pin weight should be 15-25% of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduced by option weight) will accommodate trailer king pin weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer king pin weight and weight of passengers and cargo cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

Karl,

I just purchased a 2006 Dodge Dakota that has an extended cab. There are access doors for the rear. They are supposed to open 170 degrees but were "late availability". Mine don't open that far so I am guessing the truck was built before that hinge arrangement was available. 

Yes Karl

Of course the tow ratings listed are going to be maximum. I recognize that wheel size- rear end - 4 wheel drive- larger cab - cooling - suspension all play a part.   And I'm only looking at/ discussing TT not 5th wheels (I fully concede a larger truck for 5th wheels) However based on my listed trailers I only need 8000#.  500# stuff in truck and 20% safety rating = #6000.  8000# is not a very hard number to reach on an F150 of many current configurations.

BTW it appears that GM Silverado and others have also increased tow capacity ratings as well for '07.

More than just equipped.  If has the proper engine, rear end, and cab and bed configuration then you are cool with that 10,500 rating.  The majority of F150 configurations, however, have tow ratings in the 6000 thru 8000 lb capacities.  So be careful in selecting your truck -- make sure it is exactly configured to tow your trailer range with a tow rating of say 7500 lbs.

Ya know I don't want to complain but I feel kinda beat up on here.  I ran all the numbers before I posted originally (my question was about length not weight) I've been accused of listening to car dealers, TT dealers, and TT advertising puffery.  I have not done any of those and I don't think that I've indicated as such.  My numbers have all been based on published facts - that includes tow ratings and trailer GVWR.  I had found ULTRA-LITE trailers from 26' to 30' with floor plans we liked that fit the GVWR bill with a 20% safety margin.

Sorry about.  You have done good number work.  That puts you in the small minority of newbies here that have actually done that.  Gary and I do tend to mother hen on this stuff for good reason.  There are folks that come in having fallen in love with 16,000 lb 5th wheels and intend to pull them with any old pickup that they might have lying around.

I am checking REAL numbers not guesses or vague promises.

Then you are going to be solid in your decision. 

You think you are getting grief?  You should have seen the grief I got for showing up with short wheel base truck (105" measure) pulling a 23 foot trailer.  I was going to be blown off the road by the first high speed Mini Cooper that scuttled by.    Didn't happen -- folks did not take into account the effect of heavy 4wd suspensions and big gumball LT31x10.50x15R tires. ;D

I don't have any problem believing that some F150 configuration has a 10,500 lb towing capacity when properly equipped.  But few of the F150's we see in these discussion fall into that equipment category.

The 10,500 model is a regular cab 4x2 on the 144" wheelbase chassis with 5.4L V8, automatic transmission and 4.10 rear axle and equipped with the Heavy Duty Payload package. The next highest is 9500 lbs and the rest are  in the 5000-8000 lb range, as we have often said here.  Not many forum viewers want a regular cab to take the family for a camping weekend, so right away they are usually in the under 9500 lb bracket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom