EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: looking to buy a older RV have questions  (Read 1954 times)

superdad88

• ---
looking to buy a older RV have questions
« on: May 30, 2015, 11:52:04 AM »
So I found a 74 dodge sportsman, guy is asking 1500.  I did drive it and ran solid with 30K.  I didn't get a chance to completely check out the workings of the frig, AC ect... the gentleman says everything works and the reason he is selling is he and his wife are getting older and cant enjoy it like they use to.  He has owned it for the past 15 years.

The interior and exterior is in really great shape.  I was thinking of having a local RV shop run through it but at a cost of 500 for the inspection I was thinking if I could do it myself and save 500 that might be worth it?

I have NEVER owned a RV before so I am not sure when the heck I would be looking at.  LOL  I am very handy and figure I could fix what ever I need to.

Just looking at getting an RV because my 10 year old daughter and I are getting tired of tent camping. :) :)

Any ideas where to point me into the right direction?  Would it be smarter to spend the 500?  And if there is any BIG problems I could use it to lower the cost?

He did show me a receipt from last year when he replaced the tires at 1100 bucks.

Sam!

• ---
Re: looking to buy a older RV have questions
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 12:10:07 PM »
try and get a list of what they inspect and how or what experience and certifications they have. for a thorough inspection that seems reasonable. as old as that rv is biggest thing would be roof condition looking for signs of leaks or past leaks, walls and floor integrity. drive train and brake system. lastly appliances condition and function. any major problem will set you back that 500 easily. and at 1500 i dont know how much cheaper you want it : 8)
1997 Serro Scotty 25' Diesel Cummins 4x4
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel SRW
2000 Tacoma Dezert trux
San Diegan

superdad88

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 12:26:46 PM »
Well I did look for leaks or signs of leaks past and present. Which was easy to do because it rained pretty good last night and it has been raining off and on for the past 3 weeks.  Found nothing wet or damp. I did walk to floor and checked for sags and seemed solid.

I guess my biggest thing is, I know NOTHING about owning an RV, ask me to plug one in and turn on the power and I would be lost LOL  So to say, my knowledge on the operations systems like tanks, LP ect is nill.

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 12:47:55 PM »
If you have not bought it already, why not have the gentleman give you a full demo? Since everything is fine according to him, shouldn't be much of a leap.... He sounds like a nice enough sort...

There are some systems explanations (like black tank and hookup, water, electric, propane use) in the Library section here that might alleviate some of your concerns. The learning curve is pretty manageable, especially with a smaller rig like yours.

And you can always ask us questions after the demo!  8) Be diligent with your research and don't over think it. No offense, but the "older" folks were doing it, you should be able to as well....  ;D

Kim
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Wanderlust RV Park, Eureka Springs, AR

donn

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 12:48:04 PM »
Your two biggest concerns would be AC and refer.  Everything else is pretty cheap to fix or replace.  As the fella to turn the refer on the day before.  They can take 12 to 24 hours to get cold, so day before tou will know if it works or not.  AC, unless he has 30A plug in probably wont be able to test.
A new AC is around a grand.  A new refer is around 1200.  Depending on model, a new cooling unit is around 700 dollars.
You can also open the outside refer vents, look for a yellowish discoloration or smell of ammonia.  Either of those means a bad cooling unit.
1500 dollars is pretty cheap, so if your willing to take the chance, grab it and hope for the best.
BTW what part of the country do you live?  Maybe a forum member would be willing to go with you for a six pack!

superdad88

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 12:58:11 PM »
Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

I live in Omaha, Ne

I have been reading and watching youtube videos lol  and I like the idea of having him turn on the frig the day before.  He said there was a young kid that was looking at it and said he was going to give him till the end of the weekend to come up with the money and told the kid he would hold it for him.

I said I would call him either Sunday night or Monday afternoon to see if he still has it and if so offer him 1K and go from there.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »
If the guy can't or won't demo the stuff for you, look around for a mobile RV tech and pay for an hour or two of his time (around $100/hour). Ask him to do a quick check out of the a/c, fridge, water heater, furnace, and batteries/12v system.

I quickly found John's Mobile RV by Googling 'Omaha mobile rv'.
http://strangetechnologies.net/services
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

superdad88

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 02:07:29 PM »
Mobile RV?  Who would of knew?  WOW you guys ROCK!!!  If I get this thing I guess a lot of road trips are in order and the beer is on me.  :) 

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »
Sounds good to me - I'm a beer lover!!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL