Campground Wifi - Boosting a Weak Signal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
docj said:
Or you can use something like a WiFiRanger which combines the wifi repeater amplifier function with a router that creates a private network inside your RV.  It has all the advantages listed by Ned in one easy to use device.

The Peplink Surf devices can be set up the same way, offering multiple configurations depending on your needs.

The USB devices are fine for a single computer but if you have multiple computers, tablets, etc. then a WiFi repeater works much better.

Yeap. That's the key difference.

I see the original question was about an Ipad, so my suggestion won't help anyway (no USB ports to use).

http://ipod.about.com/od/ipadhowtos/f/connect-usb-to-ipad.htm

Search Internet for IPAD to USB for adapters, there are several that serve the purpose to connect to the router or repeater.

I just purchased this unit and it's worth the price, for me. It is a wifi repeater and connects to the park's signal. Like others have said, it gives to a great signal inside the coach, but is limited to the quality of the park's system. In any event, it does what I want. I have my laptop, my tablet, and my phone running off my "network". Easy to setup. A bit more than $17, but I'm fine with it.

http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-KIT-REPEATER

mikef said:
I just purchased this unit and it's worth the price, for me. It is a wifi repeater and connects to the park's signal. Like others have said, it gives to a great signal inside the coach, but is limited to the quality of the park's system. In any event, it does what I want. I have my laptop, my tablet, and my phone running off my "network". Easy to setup. A bit more than $17, but I'm fine with it.

http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-KIT-REPEATER

I have a very similar setup as yours, my antenna or "large white stick" is mounted inside my mh, screwed on the windshield's colom, on the passenger's side and it picks up the signals very storngly since it is mounted at ? 10 ft of the ground. It could also be mounted on my TV antenna to capture even more WI-FI signals... ;)  

WiFi is just another radio and like any radio, the better the antenna the better it works.

blw2 said:
I think I'll pick one up and try it.  Can hardly go wrong at $17
I was thinking of one of those external antenna boosters, but we use CG's wifi so infrequently that I can't justify it.
Ditto one of those cell repeater things.... just can't justify it in my case....

Thanks for the tip!
Same here. So I just ordered the Netgear WN2000RPT too. I figure I can always plug it in outside if campground signal is really bad.

And I realize it will not help when there is simply crappy Internet provided at a campground, no matter how good a wifi signal there is. No biggie--I get that.

But I have had many cases where the Internet at a campground, though not great, was acceptable for basics such as email, facebook posting, etc. However, it was too weak at my campsite or inside the RV to work at all. This can be exacerbated when there is marginal cell coverage as well--where I would take slow internet over no internet. This happened to me last weekend though in that case the Internet itself was quite good when I had signal (as in driving out of the campground and stopping right by the wifi antenna mast). I had no signal inside the 5th wheel but could access wifi--barely--while outside. I think the Netgear WN2000RPT would have been perfect for that situation. We shall see...

Mike

I was having the same connection problems. I thought it would be better to get an antenna outside my RV. So, I did just that. It works great! Of course, you are still limited by the campgrounds wifi, but this really boosted the signal. I shot a video of what I did and then one of testing it out. You can see it here:
https://youtu.be/V8Vx4Fi5L5s

Okay, so I have been looking for a while for a WIFI hotspot that does not require a monthly plan and one that your data does not expire every month.  I finally found it, bought the unit and I got it a few days ago.  So far, I am well pleased.  I prepurchased 10 gigs of data and it is just sitting there waiting for me to use it.  It does not go away like my old Verizon plan.  This is perfect for folks like us who only need the data when WE need it, not when THEY want us to use it or lose it.  This thing works on the Sprint network and I live in Alpine, CA and have a great signal for being kind of in the boonies.  Ease of operation, setup and everything else, all are very easy.  Here is a coverage map: https://yourkarma.com/coverage

I have found it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, so, moderators, if this is not allowed, please feel free to nuke the post.

The web site for the KarmaGo hotspot is www.YourKarma.com.  If you decide to purchase using my referral code, then you get ten bucks to apply to the purchase of your KarmaGo and I get ten bucks for more data.  This is the web site if you wish to check it out.  If you decide to buy one, use my code ray82532 or go to https://yourkarma.com/invite/ray82532.

Easiest way is to put a repeater in a can and aim it at the wi-fi.

Ideally a Welches Grape Juice can.. But I used a modern 3-pound (2.5) COffee can, all metal.

I'd use one of the smaller repeaters (TP Link made one that's very small) and basically mount it in foam rubber inside the can.. Feed it five volts from a charger adapter and once it's set up.. Should be good.. aim it at the target.

NOTE: aiming can be a bit fun.

What I use:

Linksys WGA 54G (Antenna sticks up into the can.. Oh, you mount the link... well I'll send you a URL on that)

It feeds a standard home router

Wi-Fi or Lan to this computer. and to another computer (Depending on where they are at) Lan only to another computer and two single function computer devices, WI-FI only to two androids.  All work happily.

It is a bit.. Rube Goldburg. but when I set it up it was all stuff I had in stock and it works fairly well.

How to position the antenna (or Repeater device) in the grape juice/coffee cal

www.amateurlogic.tv  episode 3

I've found Wifi on Steroids gives me full bars at any campground with a weak signal. It can be connected easily to the free wifi hotspot inside the campground. You can use your laptop, ipad or iphone to connect.

I have upgraded my System.. The LInksys died (Turns out it was something very simple) so I got an Umbuquitte (UBNT) Nanostgation M-2 to replace it.. MAJOR upgrade, far more range, lots stronger signals and connects to Wi-Fi hosts the Linksys would not connect to.. Even my Cell phone's hot spot which the Linksys would not connect the router to..  Had a problem there however after I messed up a setting, Reset and that's how I'm Posting this

The nano station is designed to be pole mounted with zip ties, I'll use something other than a Zip Tie to do it when I put it on the flagpole but.. Man does it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom