something I have never forgotten.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lawrence M

I was cruising through the posts and I came across a post on passengers in truck campers. I wanted to tell a story about a truck and train accident that I went to.
It was either 1965 or 66 I was hanging around a service station on a very stormy night when the call came in from the police there was an accident and a tow truck was needed . The fellow on duty locked up the shop and asked if I wanted to go with him. A 16 year-old hanging around a service station would never say no to a tow truck ride.
We arrived at the accident scene and it was a train and a pickup. It was snowing so bad we had a hard time seeing what was really going on.
The truck was basically in two pieces.
I was advised to remain in the tow truck, they had not found the driver of the truck. The train was down the track as it took a while to stop.
While they were searching for the driver a call came on the police radio that there was another accident down the road. It turned out the fellow they were looking for had been hit trying to flag a car down. He was dead on the scene . It took a while before they figured out what happened . If the fellow had remained at the accident he would have been OK.

The next day I went to help with the cleanup it had stopped snowing and the sun was shining bright.
There was pieces all over the ditch on both sides and across the track.
What I remember most was the biggest piece I recognised was the icebox door it was folded like a slice of bread.
That really hit me back than. To survive a train wreck only to die getting help!
I really would not ride in a camper legal or not. I know it isn't much of a chance of running into train. But everything on the roads today are bigger heavier and faster
Haven't thought about this in years till I started to read about slide in campers.
Safe driving everybody!

That is sad and it also shows that anytime that you are involved in a accident is to Move off to a safe distance  away from the road. Or remain in the car.

Don't wait for help with your disabled vehicle between you and traffic, even off to the side. Wait upstream of your vehicle. Think of all the debris, shrapnel and wrecked hulks flying around. Makes cringe every time I see people doing that.

Bill

The summer after I was in the 4th grade,must have been 1965 or 66, my grandparents took me on a month long trip into Canada. I rode the majority of that trip in the overhang of the Chinook camper.

Nobody though much about it in those days.

Back
Top Bottom