Yellowstone 2016 or Bust! Forum Rally May 15 through May 21, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    Sorry Max, you'll have to come to come to the Canadian Maritimes like Gary did last summer, or wait for us to take one of our infrequent trips west like we did to Q last year.

Ed

Max, what part of MN are you from?  I grew up in St. Paul.  Still have a daughter and grand daughter in Minnesota and get back every year or two. 

Max, to answer your question, we'd like to be a part of the Yellowstone party, but 2016 is going to be a busy year.    So we will not know for sure for another month or two.  Regardless it's a fun group and you will enjoy the trip.  Yellowstone is beautiful.  Lots to see and if you're with a group that knows the area, you'll see more.  The wife and I were there last August and saw things I've never seen in four prior trips. 

garyb1st said:
Max, what part of MN are you from?  I grew up in St. Paul.  Still have a daughter and grand daughter in Minnesota and get back every year or two.

We live in Champlin which is near Maple Grove.  Be sure to contact us the next time you are in MN. 

MN Blue Skies

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We plan on Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse and were ever we find ourselves

Thanks
Steven

hope the rally is going in to the last week in may we are on the list but can only be there from the 5/26 to 5/31 this will be our first rally  and only our 2nd rv trip also not towing a toad need to rent a car any  have a favorire car rental.

demag88, there are car rentals in West Yellowstone, Mt if you're staying there during your trip. Not sure how many there are, but any should be fine. Jackson, Wy. has some too, I know at the airport if you're coming in that way to Yellowstone. Good Luck!

demag88 said:
hope the rally is going in to the last week in may we are on the list but can only be there from the 5/26 to 5/31 this will be our first rally  and only our 2nd rv trip also not towing a toad need to rent a car any  have a favorire car rental.

Paul & Retta,

We will be staying over in Grizzly, but the actual rally will end Sunday, May 21. There are several car rental places in town, including the Yellowstone airport. It's probably not practical to use anyone outside of town because of the distance, unless you pick one up on the way in.

You are also hitting Memorial Day (May 30) and I would make any arrangements ASAP. It gets pretty nutty starting that weekend and that is one of the reasons I chose to start the rally earlier.

Kim

I'm sure all you veteran travelers to Yellowstone and the area are aware of Live Cams that you can view, but for those that haven't been there, go to Facebook and enter Live Cams. You will see a list come up and you can watch Cams in Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. This way you can see the area and keep up with the weather or other things going on. My husband goes to these cams daily and enjoys doing that! Hope this has given someone some new info that will come in handy.

For those of you, like me who are not on Facebook, here is the website link, note some are live and some are still: http://www.seejh.com/webcams/yellowstone/biscuitbasin

Ed

We love Yellowstone and the stops between here and there. We were there in early June 2013 on our way to Alaska. When we tried the NE exit, we ran into a huge snow storm that closed the pass we were planning to take. Otherwise, the weather was great. Having attended the Palo Duro Canyon rally last year and another one six years ago, we're interested in joining this one. But I have to schedule a driveway paving project for May this week before I can signup. Looks like it would be a lot of fun.

When we stayed at a park just outside the West exit, we couldn't get Verizon for our phones and the park's wi=fi was off. Is it any better now?

Yellowstone LiveCams.  One in the Visitor center that updates every 20 seconds or so, I randomly go outside and wave at it.  The other one is streaming and is counterclockwise around 90 degrees back.  Looks down the geyser basin.  This one can be remotely controlled by a group of geyser watchers.

The Park cell service has been upgraded over the last 2 summers.  Still not great, but Verizon is the best bet.

It's more than 10 years since we entered Yellowstone from the West.  At the time we weren't RVing and I didn't pay attention to the grades.  We will likely have our 99 Aerbus for the trip and I'd like to know if there are any routes to avoid.  If all goes according to plan we'll have our a Jeep which weighs about 1,000 lbs more than our HHR.  When we visited Yellowstone last year and entered via Cody, we never took the Aerbus through the park.  We had enough fun coming through the mountains just getting to Cody.  I'd appreciate any advise on routes from So California.  FWIW, when we drove through in 2006, we hit snow in June.  Nothing major, but for the wife, who was driving the F250, and grew up in So Cal, it was a bit unnerving. 

I added another topic, YNP Trip Planning, for folks who need more specific information on the who, what, where, and why and so it will gather traffic for those who need routing information, stops enroute, etc.

This is a major undertaking for many folks and I would not want anyone to have a "campfire story" because we did not share enough information.  8)

Kim

We are planning to go the Grand Tetons for three days after the rally.  (May 22, 23, and 24.) We will be making reservations at Colter Bay RV Park in the next few days.  If anyone is interested in joining us please PM me.  They have full hookups and they take reservations.  The website says they give a discount to Golden Age pass holders.  http://www.gtlc.com/rv/colter-bay-rv-park

After Yellowstone we are off to Cody, WY for a few days. Staying at Buffalo Bill State Park May 22-24. Then heading to the Grand Tetons for the next 5 nights: May 25-29. Leaving on May 30th. Staying at The Longhorn Ranch RV Resort. If anyone wants to join us, let us know.

Back
Top Bottom