Yellowstone 2016 or Bust! Forum Rally May 15 through May 21, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Getting really excited for this trip.  Thanks to everyone who is taking part in the planning process!

Hi Patty, have you planned your route to and from Indiana?  Did you decide to go I 90 or I 94?  We are heading from the Minnesota to Yellowstone and haven't finalized our plans yet.

We have 2 routes planned and depending on weather will decide which one. If weather permits we will take Hwy 90 across or if weather is a factor then we will take Hwy 80.  Are you taking 90 across?  I am so new at this not sure if we should make our one night stay reservations or just wing it.  planning on driving 400 miles or 6-8 hours a day.  How about you?

Hi Kim. It turns out that we have about a 50 - 50 chance of being able to make the rally. When is the latest we could reserve and still get in?  Or should we just take a chance on someone dropping out late. I'd hate to keep someone from attending by locking up a reservation and then dropping out (should kjow for sure by the first of May).

Thanks,

Ernie

Ernie,

At the moment, I can put you on the list. Please fill out the data I asked for in the FAQ.

We have about eight slots left, but we will be returning them probably two weeks from today, April 15.

That will give you some slack to decide.

Look forward to seeing you both!

Kim

Kim,

So that we can plan our budget. Do you know when you will be asking us to pay for our Grizzly spots? I think Paypal is a good way but be sure to include Paypal's costs when you get to the final decision on the cost. I know you posted $310 for a pull through but Paypal will take some of that. Ok I'm done rambling.

Thanks

pgray52246 said:
We have 2 routes planned and depending on weather will decide which one. If weather permits we will take Hwy 90 across or if weather is a factor then we will take Hwy 80.  Are you taking 90 across?  I am so new at this not sure if we should make our one night stay reservations or just wing it.  planning on driving 400 miles or 6-8 hours a day.  How about you?

Patty, we haven't decided on a route to Yellowstone.  Most likely it will be 90 but it might be 94.  We've made a few reservations for a slower, more meandering journey home.  On the way home we plan to keep our drive time to 2 to 4 hours per day.  We plan on staying two nights at most of our stops with the exception of the Black Hills/Mt. Rushmore area where we will stay four nights.  You and anyone else who might be interested are welcome to join us for all or part of our trip back to Minnesota.  Our itinerary is still a work in progress but I'd be happy to share it.

I've had some Doctor issues creep into my life as of late. The VA has me scheduled for an appointment during the rally I am trying to change. We may be cancelling our trip to Yellowstone, but won't know for a week or more.

Oscar Mike said:
I've had some Doctor issues creep into my life as of late. The VA has me scheduled for an appointment during the rally I am trying to change. We may be cancelling our trip to Yellowstone, but won't know for a week or more.

Damn, that sucks John.  Hope you are able to change so you can attend and everything is ok.

Mike.

Hello, you all are going to my favorite place on earth.  I am rather late to the rodeo but I would like to offer
my, any or whatever assistance that I could.  The last three years my wife and I worked for Xanterra from May
to Mid Sept.  She worked in HR and I was unbelievably fortunate to drive the HYB's (Historic Yellowstone Bus) on
Wildlife and YID's (Yellowstone-In-A-Day) as an Interpretive Guide.
If any one has any questions I would be glad to help.

Frank
YNP Guide
NAI certified

MN Blue Skies said:
Patty, we haven't decided on a route to Yellowstone.  Most likely it will be 90 but it might be 94. 

Not too much to see on 94, the Fort Lincoln in Mandan with Custer's house museum, Roosevelt National park and maybe the shows will be going on in Medora.  Awfully early for them I believe as I seem to recall they start about Memorial day.

In Glendive MT there is an interesting state park, Makoshika in the badlands there.  There is also a dinosaur museum.

In Miles City there is the range riders museum and the town still has many old buildings from frontier times although many burned down a few years ago - 20 years or so.

Forsyth is another old western town and makes an interesting drive through if interested in that sort of thing.

Billings is one if not the largest city in MT and has numerous museums and other attractions including pro baseball at the bottom level.  It is also home to the KOA chain of RV Parks.

Livingston has a good museum in the old depot which in itself is quite a building.  Main street was used in the movie, "A River Runs Through"  There are other museums in town that are quite interesting too.

Bozeman has the "Museum of the Rockies" with good dinosaur displays.  The current, retiring, director was the technical advisor to the Jurassic Park movies.

I can expand on this route as we have done it many times on our way to MN, old home town etc. and points east.

MN blue skys, while crossing MT, consider a stop in Philipsburg and the take  your toad and spend a day at the Garnet Ghost town side just 10 miles out of Phillipsburg. Well worth the stop. The Rt 1 loop through Philipsburg off of I90 doesn't add hardly any miles to the trip.

OOPS! forgot this is a little west of where you turn south off 90 to Yellowstone.

Jim Godward said:
Not too much to see on 94, the Fort Lincoln in Mandan with Custer's house museum, Roosevelt National park and maybe the shows will be going on in Medora.  Awfully early for them I believe as I seem to recall they start about Memorial day... I can expand on this route as we have done it many times on our way to MN, old home town etc. and points east.

Jim, I will take a look at your suggestions.  Thank you.

Chet18013 said:
MN blue skys, while crossing MT, consider a stop in Philipsburg and the take  your toad and spend a day at the Garnet Ghost town side just 10 miles out of Phillipsburg. Well worth the stop. The Rt 1 loop through Philipsburg off of I90 doesn't add hardly any miles to the trip.

OOPS! forgot this is a little west of where you turn south off 90 to Yellowstone.

Chet, oh oh ghost towns.  What a fabulous suggestion!  Unfortunately it is too far for this trip however you have inspired me to look for some ghost towns along the way.

It looks like we'll make the Yellowstone Rally, after talking about it with Susan it makes better sense for us to go on an adventure instead of visiting a VA Doctor. I will reschedule my primary care and we'll make the rally.

Oscar Mike said:
It looks like we'll make the Yellowstone Rally, after talking about it with Susan it makes better sense for us to go on an adventure instead of visiting a VA Doctor. I will reschedule my primary care and we'll make the rally.

That is great news John.  Glad you and Susan will be able to attend.

Mike.

For those that are Hikers, if you do the Heart lake trail, could you please PM me. I'd like some Pictures from that trail.  I might also have some tips for you :) (I'd like to go myself but unfortunately my schedule just doesn't have that in it this year.)

Thanks,
Brian

Back
Top Bottom