Yellowstone 2016 or Bust! Forum Rally May 15 through May 21, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With the weather forecast in Yellowstone for rain and a mix of rain & snow all of the rally week, I am a bit concerned...should I be?

Oscar Mike said:
With the weather forecast in Yellowstone for rain and a mix of rain & snow all of the rally week, I am a bit concerned...should I be?

No need to worry.  Even in the summer months afternoon/evening thunderstorms are very common.  This time of year a little snow is expected but it usually doesn't hang around long.

When we were there last September even the morning we were leaving we had about an inch @ Grizzly and by the time we had breakfast and were ready to break camp it was melted.

Mike.

Oscar Mike said:

Nope. The forecasts have been wrong every day we have been here. Yellowstone creates its own weather because of the thermal features.

You will probably seen one of everything before you leave here, but none of it should be a travel concern. While the nights are cool, the days are warming up fine. It was 67 here yesterday and I saw snow spits up in the Gallatin River valley this morning. It's just whatever.  8)

Kim

Thanks Kim, I have been looking forward to Yellowstone for a very long time. You stated what I was hoping.

We purchased our National Park year long pass today when visiting Rocky Mountain NP. Considering all the NP's we will be visiting in the next few months, its a bargain.

The slide out broke yesterday when we pulled into Estes Park. We muscled it open when the motor on one side decided to take a vacation of its own. After watching a few YouTube videos I think I can pull the Lippert motor myself and see if its the motor or the wiring. The wind, morning snow and ice, and the short window for tolerable temperatures is slowing down the repair.

We really hope its not the wiring and a motor swap out will cure the problem.

Attachments

• RMNP snow bank smaller.jpg
    RMNP snow bank smaller.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 19
Kim,

You certainly have the right idea for a visit to Yellowstone. You are also correct in stating "don't mess with the Rangers". The season is already starting to get busy and they are going to be taxed to the limit with the possible 5-6 million visitors this year. Last year we had over 4 million visitors and I know all of us were very tired at the end of the season!! I had a customer about 3 years ago that was given a citation for feeding a Raven. Many folks like to do this to entice them to come closer for a photo op. That error cost him $135!

The animals are most active in the early morning and late afternoon. They may appear almost anywhere so one cannot project a "good" viewing location. Be sure to obey all the rules. Last year there were five Bison gorings in the first three months of the summer season. Two of them were at Old Faithful. The animals have no boundaries and are free to roam wherever they choose. Bison can seem very tame and docile but they are not! They can run much faster than any human and do not like their space encroached by any person or animal. Males can weigh up to 2000 lbs and females up to 1000 lbs.

Check with the Interpretation Rangers at the various visitor centers to find out what might be going on in the park. They are there to provide visitors with information on all aspects of Yellowstone. The Northern Range has a variety of wildlife that show up quite often. The Old Faithful area is loaded with thermal features that are amazing. The Hayden and Lamar valleys are awesome and worth the visit. Also, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is not to be missed!

It has been a long time since I have visited the forum on a regular basis. Life has taken me in other directions but I try to stay in touch. We are looking forward to meeting members we have not seen before. I hope everyone thoroughly enjoys their time in Yellowstone and Bill and I will try to help as much as possible.

Looks like Yellowstone will be greeting us with a wave of cold weather.  For those of you not familiar with snow and ice conditions take your time.  A few inches of snow should not be a problem.  However, ice and especially black ice can be extremely hazardous.  Black ice is just ice that you can't see.  Kinda looks like a shiny blacktop road.  It can appear on bridges when the road is otherwise ice free.  Mind your speed and do not tailgate.  Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir, but I'm a native of Minnesota and have seen some challenging road conditions during my first 20 years behind the wheel of a car.  On a positive note, for those of you into ice fishing...    ;D

skyking4ar2 said:
Where I am from, that's enough snow to stop the world for two days... ;)

Hell, here our kids still play their scheduled soccer games in that much snow. ;D

Merely a dusting.  Not even enough to think about altering plans.

Mike.

That looks like my Phaeton in the background you just posted. But with the chrome handles on the storage doors I can tell that it is newer than mine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom