09 FlagStaff Super Light -- wheel malfunction - 2nd time - Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvquest9

This is the second time with problems to this wheel. The first time a mechanic replaced the wheel bearings. For this to happen again, there is concern that there is a bigger issue at hand. The neighbor suggested that the axle be replaced. This seems a bit drastic.

Any suggestions to why this keep happens? Attached are the pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/2vytQ

Thanks for the response.  So, I should have the axle replaced? Do you have a round about number to have this done? How do I go about finding a place to do this? The local wheel shop said that they are unable to do. Camping World said the same.

Is the bearings wear out fast, the spindle (metal shaft) is suspect. Or the original mechanics skills. You should be able to replace the wheel hub rather than the entire axle, but sometimes a new axle is cheaper. Doesn't cost much more and the labor may be less.

You have rubber torsion axles.  They are relatively easy to change out.  The only downside to these axles is that they do not equalize loads like leaf springs do on tandem axle trailers.  If the trailer is not towing level then one axle will carry more load than it should. Since most trailers are real close to the axle weight limits you could be pushing the weight for the axle.  If you have a single axle then ignore this part.

Thanks for all the responses. It has two axles. Will I need it serviced by a specialized mechanic or can I take it to any mechanic? Should I request a better axle than the standard?

Any half way competent mechanic can change it out.  There should be a tag or band on the axle that gives the capacity and model.  You can get a whole axle with brakes installed for the prices quoted below.  Make sure your hitch is set up so that your trailer is level. 

boatbuilder said:
Any half way competent mechanic can change it out.  There should be a tag or band on the axle that gives the capacity and model.  You can get a whole axle with brakes installed for the prices quoted below.  Make sure your hitch is set up so that your trailer is level.

agreed it actually more common than you think it can be caused by overheating if you blew a bearing before

I appreciate all the feedback. Especially as a newbie. I was fretting about how expensive this would be.  Ya'll are really great. The trick now is to find the "competent" mechanic and getting it to the repair shop. Any concerns in driving it, or should I look at getting it towed?

Did the same mechanic do the work both times? Might be making the same mistake twice. Could it be as simple as setting the bearing too tight? If you don't notice things going to hell soon enough with a bearing smoking itself, the results will look similar.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom