Pulled out the 42" Panasonic Plasma today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I changed out the TV in the living room today in favor of a 48" Smart Vizio. I need to rework the mounting bracket from the Panasonic but it should work.

The question is, does anyone think that there is a use for the Panasonic? I mean it is worth putting on Craigs list or some such place, or is a 2 year old non Smart Plasma Flat Screen TV not worth messing with?

I would think there would be a market for a 42" plasma TV, both for home and RV.

Almost three years ago the party that bought my old Class C called about a problem they thought they had. During the conversation I offered a 19" Dynex flatscreen LCD that I had mounted in the bedroom (put back the CRT before the sale) and they accepted for $100. He didn't show which ticked me off so when he left a voicemail later to reschedule I just ignored it.

I still have the LCD but wish I had the $100 bill.

Definitely has value. I see some ridiculous asking prices for used Panasonic plasmas on Ebay, e.g. $400, but I think you could reasonable ask $150 and consider offers. Many buyers will just be looking for a 42" flat screen and compare to low end LCD tvs at Walmart, but video aficionados might want a plasma for its technical advantages.

Would it matter that it has no stand since it was wall mounted? I think that I will have to include the wall mount with it. This sucker is heavy, and it is custom made to fit this TV/monitor.  Thanks Gary, I will try craigs list and see what happens.

A few pics for explanation.

Attachments

• 20150601_101507 (2).jpg
    20150601_101507 (2).jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20150601_101525 (2).jpg
    20150601_101525 (2).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 20150601_101549 (2).jpg
    20150601_101549 (2).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 49
If you were in central Illinois, I might buy it from you for a slight size upgrade.  ;)  Although when we bought our 37" Vizio some years back (6?) I chose an LCD or Plasma because we have a lot of ambient window light that I was told would reflect off of a plasma screen.  The opaque LCD screen kinda "sucks up" the white light in the room rather than reflecting it.

in an RV there are some things to think about regarding plasma TV.

Weight.  They are quite a bit heavier than a comparably sized LCD.
Power.  They eat watts.  Lots of them compared to LCD sets.
Heat.  Most of the watts they eat become heat.

My good neighbor Bob was given one for his garage.  I helped him install it and it took two of us to move it.  It's almost as heavy as the 36" CRT we took out.

It does have a great picture and pretty good sound.

Well thanks to you guys and the good info, I put it on Craigslist this morning in Chico about 9 AM. By 10 I had an interested buyer. By 7 PM it was gone and I had cash in pocket. A young guy showed up that didn't have too much money to throw around, so he was delighted to get it. 

He even liked that it was a wall mount. It appears that his dog knocked over his current one and it shattered.  It worked out well for both of us!

I've got a stand for it :D we have the 42 and a 50 in the house love them, but as stated hot hot hot, great pic, horribly in bright rooms.

Interesting topic. It just so happens I just got an opportunity to buy a used Panasonic 50XBR800 . A back-lit TV.
Hope this question doesn't contribute to thread drift, but after the research I have done and due to the age, it's on the edge of wheather it's worth $225 with a glass stand. Seller says the stand alone cost close to $3K at the time. I'm thinking that if the optic block goes south, big bucks to replace and not worth it. Trying to find out if lamps are still available. Then I might be stuck with an expensive glass stand to put nothing but plants on the stupid thing!

The bigger flat screens are new to me. No good reason why. Other than the CRT's we have been using have been doing a great job for years. The reason I mention here is I have also been interested in buying a much smaller flat screen on a stand for the TT. Been looking for a few months for something along the 12v/120v line.
It reads as if many here are much more experienced in the purchasing of flat screens. New or used.

If you were in my shoes, wadda ya think?

The biggest 12 volt flat screens I've seen have 32 " displays. Since you're looking for something smaller to put on a stand, you should be able to find something in the size you're looking for. 12 volt TVs tend to cost more than 120 volt TVs though. If you enjoy watching movies, you might want to look for models that come with built-in DVD players - saves having to run more cables. Some of the smaller flat screens are Standard Definition so be careful if you're looking for Hi-Def. There's a website called, 12volttravel.com that has  pretty decent selection of 12 volt flat screens but shop around, you can probably beat their prices.

Kev

Denmarc:  I have a similar TV at home.  A 50" Samsung DLP that we've had for a very long time.  I've changed the bulb once. 

Bulbs are available but you have to be careful to buy a name brand bulb.  The Internet is flooded with cheap knock off's that won't last long and will give you bad colors.  Changing bulbs is easy, just follow directions.

The TV isn't worth anything near $225, but the stand may be.  ;)

Kevin Means said:
Some of the smaller flat screens are Standard Definition so be careful if you're looking for Hi-Def. There's a website called, 12volttravel.com that has  pretty decent selection of 12 volt flat screens but shop around, you can probably beat their prices.
Kev

Thanks for the info, Kev. Only terrestrial TV through a HD converter at the TT. Not too concerned about HD. Will check out 12volttravel to see what they got. If nothing else, the site may give me more options.

8Muddypaws said:
Denmarc:  I have a similar TV at home.  A 50" Samsung DLP that we've had for a very long time.  I've changed the bulb once. 

Bulbs are available but you have to be careful to buy a name brand bulb.  The Internet is flooded with cheap knock off's that won't last long and will give you bad colors.  Changing bulbs is easy, just follow directions.

The TV isn't worth anything near $225, but the stand may be.  ;)

I miss spoke in my previous post. The TV I was thinking of buying is a Sony. Not a Panasonic. Not that it matters. And I wondered if the seller was maybe just trying to get rid of a vintage TV for the price of a nice, used glass stand at todays price. I haul it away and my responsibility to dispose of when the TV dies. I don't need another table to put plants on! The DW has all the windows at the homested fogged up now with all her plants and aquariums! Any more, I'm going to need to grow gills or sleep in the garage!

Did I just type that out loud?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom