"Here's your sign"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragginourbedaround

Driving through a terrible storm in PA yesterday and decided Mother Nature had won and pulled into a KOA for the night. $47 for the night. I asked the attendant if she could split the charge on to two credit cards and she said yes. When she handed me the receipts one was for $20 and the other was for $27! I asked her why she didn't put $23.50 on each card, she said "because the math was easier for her this way"!

You didn't say split evenly.  She could have done it $1 and 46$  :D

With respect: Neither card had $47.00 of available funds ?

I can see spitting a charge of $2000.00, but $47.00?

I am confused but that doesn't take much these days.  :)

$20 and $27 makes perfect sense to me. We all do math differently, this worked for her.

Dog Folks said:

It may have had nothing to do with that.

I used to take a Class A on the road for business trips, often making it a combination camping/business trip. In some cases, when it was mutually beneficial, a client would agree to pay half the expenses.

That is just one example. Granted, I never split charges but I could have.

Mike

Dog Folks said:

We have someone along for part of our trip and we were splitting our expenses. Her wish not ours and the $27 was on my card.
With respect: Must be nice to have sooo much money you only need to split charges of $2k or more :)

being a former resident of Pennatucky  :(  and a 1964 graduate of RHS (Reading High School, Reading, Pa.) I can definitely attest the problem was attributable to the new math taught in their schools!  :-[

20/47 makes sense to me but had I been the clerk I would have ask you how you wanted it split.

I often split payment between cash and card or between card and card.. Epically when one of the cards is a gift card.

There's always the possibility that the person does have issues with math. Many times I've seen young cashiers at stores get totally lost when it comes to giving change if they don't have a computer to figure it out for them.

When I was a young'un I worked for a guy that had strict cash register rules that had to be followed.
All bills were placed in the drawers head up and facing the same way, count the change backwards to the
customer, say thank you and address the customer by name if you knew it.  A lost art that I miss. 
I still say thank you to the cashier then silently berate myself for doing what should be there job. 

Rene T said:
There's always the possibility that the person does have issues with math. Many times I've seen young cashiers at stores get totally lost when it comes to giving change if they don't have a computer to figure it out for them.

It's all too common these days. They even get confused if, for example, the bill is $6.15 and you give them a $10 bill then, after they've entered it into the register, you give them the $.15 from your pocket. Sad...

mypursuit said:
When I was a young'un I worked for a guy that had strict cash register rules that had to be followed.
All bills were placed in the drawers head up and facing the same way, count the change backwards to the
customer, say thank you and address the customer by name if you knew it.  A lost art that I miss. 
I still say thank you to the cashier then silently berate myself for doing what should be there job.
I must have worked for the same guy. I still keep the bills in my wallet the same way.

I also think it is faster to count change backwards than to wait for the register, err, "POS" to tell you how much to give. I often see a delay as the clerk, presumably, is thinking what is the best order to retrieve the change. Going backwards it was just pennies-to-quarters, singles-to-twenties and done (well, rarely twenties as change back then).

Mike

I once had to teach a barista at a coffee shop how to count change backwards. Their cash register/computer was not working and they were only doing cash sales. She did not know how to count from $4.26 from a $10.

As a side note, my pet peeve is that almost all cashiers nowadays put the dollars in your hands first, then lay the coins on top, then you have to balance it until you can get your other hand out to take the coins before they slide off.  :mad:

Murphy's law  "things will go wrong in any given situation, if you give them a chance,"

my pet peeve is that almost all cashiers nowadays put the dollars in your hands first, then lay the coins on top, then you have to balance it until you can get your other hand out to take the coins before they slide off.

YYYYEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!

So I'm not the only one .

When I explain why NOT to do it that way I often get, "gee why didn't anyone tell me?"

i used to be something of a math wiz but now that i'm over 50 and barely ever use it i'm finding myself getting brain-locked over the simplest equations. i'm certain it's not an age thing.... :eek:

cadee2c said:
As a side note, my pet peeve is that almost all cashiers nowadays put the dollars in your hands first, then lay the coins on top, then you have to balance it until you can get your other hand out to take the coins before they slide off.  :mad:

x3

Back
Top Bottom