Best campground App

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebrits

There are several Apps available to use instead of dragging a huge paper directory around.  Is there one that stands out?

We use several (RV Parky, AllStays) as well as several web sites as no one app or site has every campground listed.  If I had to chose just one, I think it would be AllStays.

I don't consume data as well with apps on a mobile device as I do on PC websites. I feel limited with most mobile apps, likely because I am typically immobile, i.e. at my desk, when I need that data.

At the risk of polluting the thread and creating some thread drift, my choice for park information is RV Park Reviews backed up with the other usual suspects.

Kim

Allstays would be my first pick. Although if  you are in the middle of nowhere and without a cell signal, that book might come in handy

Those apps are ok for a phone but try to find one for a macbook or notebook.

BruceinFL said:
Those apps are ok for a phone but try to find one for a macbook or notebook.

For notebooks, you use the web sites.  Both RVParky and AllStays have them.

We're about a week or two from the East Coast and struggling to find a place for a few days.  We prefer state and local parks and try to avoid private campgrounds.  Usually I just look for Passport America sites and then see if they're reviewed by RV Park Reviews.  This has produced a few suspects but nothing that looks very inviting.  I remember reading this thread and was going to ask about RV Parky and AllStays but forgot.  I'm not familiar with either of those and would appreciate some input.

Not sure what you want to know about them. They both work, but no app has every single park listed.

"East Coast" covers a LOT of territory! In what part of it are you looking?

We want to see as much of the coast as possible.  Starting from Bridgeport CT to Acadia National Park, Maine.  We also want to spend time in Nova Scotia and PEI, Canada.  We may return via Montreal and re-enter the states via Sault Set Maria MI.  I know this is a lot of territory to cover and would make more sense to do a second trip, but our base is in Los Angeles and it's a 3,000+ mile trek just to get here.  If we could find centrally located areas and take advantage of monthly rates, it might be doable. 

garyb1st said:
We're about a week or two from the East Coast and struggling to find a place for a few days.  We prefer state and local parks and try to avoid private campgrounds.  Usually I just look for Passport America sites and then see if they're reviewed by RV Park Reviews.  This has produced a few suspects but nothing that looks very inviting.  I remember reading this thread and was going to ask about RV Parky and AllStays but forgot.  I'm not familiar with either of those and would appreciate some input.
The best way  to get familiar with either of those programs is to use them.
I like this park, Wild Duck Campground, 39 Dunstan Landing Rd, Scarborough, ME 04074 (207) 883-4432
Worden Pond Family Campground, 416A Wordens Pond Rd, Wakefield, RI 02879 (401) 789-9113
Cherry Hill Park, 9800 Cherry Hill Rd, College Park, MD 20740 (301) 937-7116
This is about as far east as you can go in the US. Seaview Campground & Cottages, 16 Norwood Rd, Eastport, ME 04631 (207) 853-4471
Bill

garyb1st said:
We want to see as much of the coast as possible.  Starting from Bridgeport CT to Acadia National Park, Maine.  We also want to spend time in Nova Scotia and PEI, Canada.  We may return via Montreal and re-enter the states via Sault Set Maria MI.  I know this is a lot of territory to cover and would make more sense to do a second trip, but our base is in Los Angeles and it's a 3,000+ mile trek just to get here.  If we could find centrally located areas and take advantage of monthly rates, it might be doable.

Gary,

Near Acadia we like Narrows Too CG. It's just before the bridge to Bar Harbor and Acadia NP.
We used Woodhaven RV Park in Hammonds Plains near Halifax, NS as a base.
I would also go to Baddeck, NS. Alexander Graham Bell and the Cabot Trail. In Baddeck last trip we stayed at Baddeck Cabot Trail CG. Ity was OK, but I think if I go back I would stay where we did on out first trip: Bras D'Or Lakes CG.
Sault Ste Marie we like Aune Osborn CG. View of the ships headed to and from the locks.
If your travels take you near I89&I91 in Vermont, I suggest a stop in Quechee, VT and go to the Simon Pearce Glass Blowing studio/Store/Restaurant/Hydro Plant. Stay at the Quechee/Pine Valley KOA (although I have not been there since it became a KOA).

Note we lived in Norwich, VT and later Morrisville (north of Stowe).

If you go to Eastport, Seaview is the place to stay. From ther you can visit Roosevelt Campobello International Park.

ken

Ken and Bill, thanks for the suggestions.  We ended up in at the Wolfs Den Family Campground in East Hadden CT. 

Bill, I thought this is the one you suggested.  After we  signed in and plugged in my computer, I realized it wasn't even close.  It sounded familiar since I previously identified it as a possibility.  In any event, it's an OK campground and will work for us for a week.  We need some time to kick back and see a bit of the area.  Reception at the campground is spotty so probably won't be posting much. 

Ken, we were on the New York side of Champlain and never crossed over to Vermont.  Quechee is actually one of the spots I considered when giving some thought to Vermont.  However, after two long days on the road and facing some mountain passes on either side of the lake decided to stay on the New York side.  We will possibly head back to Vermont as we head north. 

Gary

garyb1st said:
Ken and Bill, thanks for the suggestions.  We ended up in at the Wolfs Den Family Campground in East Hadden CT. 

Bill, I thought this is the one you suggested.  After we  signed in and plugged in my computer, I realized it wasn't even close.  It sounded familiar since I previously identified it as a possibility.  In any event, it's an OK campground and will work for us for a week.  We need some time to kick back and see a bit of the area.  Reception at the campground is spotty so probably won't be posting much. 

Ken, we were on the New York side of Champlain and never crossed over to Vermont.  Quechee is actually one of the spots I considered when giving some thought to Vermont.  However, after two long days on the road and facing some mountain passes on either side of the lake decided to stay on the New York side.  We will possibly head back to Vermont as we head north. 

Gary
Wilde Duck might be a good next stop. Every thing is clean and works as advertised including the WIFI. Not a long run just over 200 miles. This location gives good access to the Portland area including Freeport/LL Bean on the north and the shopping in Kettering to the south. Interesting bit of history the road the camp is on, Dunston's landing Road was built in 1650.
We are headed to Ellsworth on Tuesday for 4 days then to Seaview  in East port.
Forest Ridge Campground, 2 Our Way, Ellsworth, ME 04605  (207) 664-7070  http://www.forestridgecampground.com/
Bill

The Allstays app (as of 2017) is still available on Apple but no longer offerred on Android devices. 

Back
Top Bottom