Windows 10 Reservation made.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
Well I received an offer from Microsoft to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 that is to be released on July 29th. At the same time my favorite magazine, Popular Mechanics, came out with an article about the new features of Windows 10. 

Microsoft claims that it will be the last version of  Windows released, and that further released will just be modifications.  I have never been a huge fan of 8 or 8.1 so I signed up.  Microsoft is aiming to make it a  standard platform across PC, tablets,  and phones. 

Anyone else heard anything?

I got the same offer a few days ago, as did many others who have posted on other RV forums.  It sounds good.  The only problem I have, as well as others, is that you dont get to pick the time when the 3 gig download starts.  You only get to pick when you install it.  For many who use cell phone hotspots and similar devices, 3 gig can put a serious hurt on their data usage for the month.

Paul

You can cancel the reservation by opening up the "Get Windows 10" window, click on the menu button (upper left corner), "View Confirmation", and then "Cancel reservation".  You can then wait until it's convenient for you to get Windows 10 through Windows Update after July 29.

Microsoft really wants to get everyone on Windows 10 so it's being offered as a free update to all legitimate Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 home users.

You can also check if your computer is compatible with Windows 10 by clicking on the 3 lines in the upper left hand corner.  It opens a drop down box and under Getting the Upgrade you can click on the link to check for compatibility. 

Paul

I am not  so  much worried about when it downloads as I have a unlimited data plan on my air card.  I just want simple functionality back to the OS (now I am sounding old).....

I've searched, but haven't found...does anyone know if one can reformat the drive and install the free Windows 10 update?  My drive needs some attention.  Actually, I'd like to replace it because it's throwing bad sectors.  Reformatting might resolve that, but that usually means it's on the way out.  I guess I could replace the drive and reinstall the OS, but will I still be able to update to Win 10?  It's a laptop, so I don't have the option to just add another drive.  Heck, this could get messy.

You could image the whole drive and then replace it with a new one and re-install the image.  You will have exactly what you have now but... you may have re-validate your copy of Windows though, easily enough done.

Ordinarily, I would not "update" an operating system with a new one without a format, but I will bet that Windows will make it transparent. It would not help their image at all to wipe out all your existing stuff by using the format procedure.

If your drive is going bad you need to do more than reformat.  Chkdsk with find and flag bad sectors will remove the bad sectors from the drive map.

BUT: I've never seen a drive going bad be permanently fixed.  Odds are it will totally fail soon.  My advice is to replace it.  There will be a way of doing a clean install but from what I've read you have to do the update install first.

About 10.  I was a beta tester for both 8 and 10.  All of the things people (me especially) hated about 8 are fixed in 10.  It's different, but not so different you'll spend a long time learning how to get around in it.  My one word comment about Windows 10 was 'Slick'.

I have 6 computers running W7/8.1 in my house to update.  4 of them have other operating systems on them as well, I.e. dual boot.  I may end up doing some clean installs too.

Alfa38User said:
You could image the whole drive and then replace it with a new one and re-install the image.  You will have exactly what you have now but... you may have re-validate your copy of Windows though, easily enough done.

Ordinarily, I would not "update" an operating system with a new one without a format, but I will bet that Windows will make it transparent. It would not help their image at all to wipe out all your existing stuff by using the format procedure.
Imaging is not an option because of the bad sectors.  I can't even run a full backup which is what raised a flag in the first place.

8Muddypaws said:
If your drive is going bad you need to do more than reformat.  Chkdsk with find and flag bad sectors will remove the bad sectors from the drive map.

BUT: I've never seen a drive going bad be permanently fixed.  Odds are it will totally fail soon.  My advice is to replace it.  There will be a way of doing a clean install but from what I've read you have to do the update install first.

About 10.  I was a beta tester for both 8 and 10.  All of the things people (me especially) hated about 8 are fixed in 10.  It's different, but not so different you'll spend a long time learning how to get around in it.  My one word comment about Windows 10 was 'Slick'.

I have 6 computers running W7/8.1 in my house to update.  4 of them have other operating systems on them as well, I.e. dual boot.  I may end up doing some clean installs too.
I agree that the drive is on its way out.  I'm running CHKDSK /f/r right now.  When it's finished maybe I can get a good image or at least backup.  Then get the system reinstalled and, hopefully, still qualify for the free Win 10 update.

I'm gonna wait on mine until I'm is someplace with solid and speedy internet connection. I'm not comfortable trying massive downloads on my cell modem (Verizon Mifi). Too often they don't complete or they soak up so much bandwidth that nothing else can happen while it is ongoing. Maybe if I could start it at midnight and hope it was finished by the a.m.?

Molaker said:
Imaging is not an option because of the bad sectors.  I can't even run a full backup which is what raised a flag in the first place.

I agree that the drive is on its way out.  I'm running CHKDSK /f/r right now.  When it's finished maybe I can get a good image or at least backup.  Then get the system reinstalled and, hopefully, still qualify for the free Win 10 update.

I recommend getting Spinrite and running it on the drive.  Once it's done, and it could take many hours, you should be able to image the drive and restore to a new one.  CHKDSK isn't going to do it, I don't believe.

Molaker:
This article today on PCWorld Tech, should answer most of those questions you have with Windows 10.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2931492/windows-10-upgrade-will-allow-clean-installs-on-the-same-device-for-free.html#tk.nl_today

Ned is probably right depending on how bad your bad sector problem is, but try Chkdsk first, doing it this way:

Right Click on your boot drive (C), Select Properties, the click on Tools and use the first option "Check Disk Now".  When it opens be sure to choose both the check boxes and it will schedule a Disk check with attempts to repair bad sectors, the next time you boot. (I presume you would want to do that right away.)
Try imaging after that and you 'may' get a clean image which doesn't quit before it is finished.

Agree, replace the harddrive ASAP, and certainly before upgrading to Windows 10.

Good Luck
Gord

Right Click on your boot drive (C), Select Properties, the click on Tools and use the first option "Check Disk Now".  When it opens be sure to choose both the check boxes and it will schedule a Disk check with attempts to repair bad sectors, the next time you boot.

Since Tom has already done a chkdsk /f/r that would have only been done at boot time.  It's exactly the same result.

Spinrite will recover sector data that chkdsk can't.  chkdsk is good for file system problems, but not for physical sector errors.

We have three machines and have requested three reservations.
The 3 GB download won't be a big problem for us since we have 45 Mbps download speed and unlimited data but it may be a PITA if it occurs while I am watching Neflix. If the network or my router (not sure which is a problem) I may get pauses while Neflix downloads more data.

I checked online to see if an ISO can be downloaded but it appears that Microsoft has not addressed that issue yet. There is a discussion HERE on the Microsoft Community forum but no answer as of today. You will have to scroll down to see the ISO question.
There are ISOs for the beta versions though.

The Windows 10 download will come through Windows Update which is in the early morning hours.  Unless you watch Netflix until dawn, you won't notice it :)

Ned said:
Since Tom has already done a chkdsk /f/r that would have only been done at boot time.  It's exactly the same result.

Spinrite will recover sector data that chkdsk can't.  chkdsk is good for file system problems, but not for physical sector errors.
Well, the chkdsk finished (while I was away) and it found 38 bad sectors.  It may or may not have corrected the problems.  I'm running a backup now and will soon see if it can complete the backup (it could not before).

The next step is to get a new drive and get it up and running.  Then I'll see if the Windows 10 upgrade shows as already reserved or if it will accept another reserve request.

I haven't had the success with Spinrite that others have. OTOH they did refund my money.

There are some physical damages that even Spinrite can't recover from, but they do have that money back guarantee, as you said.  Compared to the thousands of dollars that a lab would charge to recover valuable data on a bad drive, $89 is a real bargain.  And free upgrades for life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom