Windows 10 Reservation made.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I search any document, download or picture stored on my machine that is in a list that requires scrolling through from top to bottom, will cause the list to jump back to the top again and again.

I just tried opening up the download folder, highlighted a folder and then used the down arrow to scroll down the list. A few seconds later the list popped back to the top, no mouse interaction involved. 

SeilerBird said:
Marty - I have been using Auslogics Disc Defragger for years. It has the built in Windows defragger beat by miles in both speed and function and it is free.

http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html

Thanks  Tom, I will check this out as an alternative.

8Muddypaws said:
Go to www.majorgeeks.com and download 'unknown device identifier'.  That will remove the mystery about what the devices are.

HP probably won't have updated drivers.  But the manufacturer of the devices might.  Try loading the W7 drivers.

Or you could download iobit driver booster.  Takes a long time but it works.  Do them one at a time for best results.

The thing with all those suggestions (which may very well eventually work) is that Windows 10 is supposed to be an upgrade, but I'm having all these compatibility/driver issues.  Today's new problems are a repeated Runtime C++ error every time I unplug and change over to battery power (which I read can be solved by disabling features in my video settings), and frequent lagging/crashing of Shockwave and Flash when web browsing (have reinstalled both programs to no avail).  The trackpad scrolling still doesn't work, even after I reinstalled the Synaptics driver straight from their website. 

I am losing functionality here, just to get things to run smoothly with W10.  Again I had no complaints whatsoever with Windows 7.  I only upgraded because W10 was "free" but it's proving to be more trouble than its worth.  HP's official stance punted me to Windows Update, saying Microsoft will provide all updated drivers as they are released.  ::)

SargeW said:
If I search any document, download or picture stored on my machine that is in a list that requires scrolling through from top to bottom, will cause the list to jump back to the top again and again.

I just tried opening up the download folder, highlighted a folder and then used the down arrow to scroll down the list. A few seconds later the list popped back to the top, no mouse interaction involved. 

Wow, that's really a strange bit of behavior.  You've eliminated the mouse as the problem.  When you say search, are you doing a Ctl-F to invoke the search function, then scrolling?  Or are you just scrolling, not really searching?  Again, this is only in Explorer, correct?

I wonder if you have a stuck Home key.  That would cause the exact behavior.

That happen to me a while back. But, Can't remember what version of windows or what corrected it.

I use the start button to pull up, say the download folder.  Then the mouse wheel to scroll down the list looking for a specific file.  Stop scrolling, and the list pops back to the top. I just checked the home button, I hit it and this page jumped to the top.  No evidence of being stuck that I can see.  Never had the issue with W8 or 8.1.

BTW I can scroll in any web page, like this one with no issues. Or any other web site for that matter.  It's  only on files or documents stored on this machine. 

That narrows it to Explorer.  I'll see what I can find.

I found a number of references to this and similar scrolling problems in File Explorer, going back to Windows 7.  Take a look at these two and see if they are any help:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_files/scroll-problems-with-file-explorer/ec781463-f9ac-4ba9-9366-218357c7ca36?auth=1

See page 2 for a possible fix.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/35770-63-please-make-stop-drives-nuts

Thanks Ned. I read through all the documents and found that the problems were similar. I tried applying the suggested fixes that were made for W-7 and Vista, but neither made a difference.  As a last resort I went onto the Microsoft site and posted a question to the community. 

Hopefully someone can cure this issue, or I will be migrating back to W-8.1

SargeW said:
I have found my first irritating glitch with W10.  When I open my downloads folder to look for a file I have saved I will start scrolling down the list looking for the file, if I stop scrolling for about one second, the list automatically returns to the top. 

It does this over and over again, not giving me any time to select and click the desired file.  I am using a microsoft wireless mouse, and I am not moving the scroll wheel when it does this crazy action.  Any guesses to get this to stop doing this guys?

I had the same problem when installing a new WINDWS 10, not an upgrade to one of my laptops!
Without any reason, it installed a MS mouse and keyboard and its drivers and it was getting my Logitec mouse to act like yours; I uninstalled that program for MS mouse and keyboard, and then unpluged and repluged my wireless mouse device and the Logitec mouse's operation came back like it should have been normally.

One other possibility is in the past I have found that some wireless mice are sensed as serial devices and that causes strange behavior.  Open the device manager (right click on the Start button) and see if there are any devices with a yellow exclamation mark or any unusual ones listed under Mice.

Thanks Ned, but nothing unusual in the Device Manager.  And I think I have eliminated any connection to the wireless mouse as I uninstalled it and had the same results when using just the down arrow key in the File Manager.  Microsoft sent me a long involved process trouble shooting that I will try when we get to the next location.  It is recreated below.

Method 1: Perform Clean Boot.
Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. Check this issue in clean boot state.
Press Windows key + X key. And select Run.
Type msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter.
On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.
On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
Close Task Manager.
On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.
Note: After clean boot troubleshooting step, follow the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.
If issue still persists try method 2.
Method 2:
Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.
Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
If the issue still exists, try the next method.
Method 3:
You may check the same issue with the new user account.
Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:
Go to Settings.
Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
Select Add an Account.
Enter a user name and hit Next.
Click on Finish.
Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
Check if issue persists.
Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Let us know the results.  I suspect that a clean boot will work correctly, but then you have to identify which of the startup items is causing the problem.  Most likely it's a third party program.

Before going through all that in msconfig, you might want to try safe mode, it's quicker and easier.  See this article for how to start in safe mode in Windows 10.

It took me a while to get to the testing tonight as it is the DW's birthday, and there were a few things I had to take care of first!  When  I sat down and started going through the fixes, I really thought like Ned that one of the first two would find the problem. 

Nope, neither one fixed the issue. It seemed to slow it down a bit, instead of the jumping back to the top of the list in 2 seconds, it seemed like it took about 4 seconds, but it still was the same. 

The last method of creating a new user account I thought would be a waste of time, but did it anyway. And lo and behold, by signing into the machine with a new user account name, the problem has vanished.  Hopefully it won't return, but I have checked all the file locations that were giving me problems and all seems normal. 

Nothing else has changed, I am just left to change some setting back to the way they were before, because when I re-enabled the start programs, ALL start programs were enabled.  Some I want to shut off as unnecessary.  Go figure. 

Gotta love computers (and Microsoft).

Molaker said:
Yup!  There it is.  The first cumulative Windows 10 update.

Expect to see these frequently as the update process going forward is to release them as they're ready, not just once a month.  This first update fixed a couple of minor problems I was seeing and Windows 10 is quite stable for me.  It even seems faster than 8.1.

Ned said:
Expect to see these frequently as the update process going forward is to release them as they're ready, not just once a month.  This first update fixed a couple of minor problems I was seeing and Windows 10 is quite stable for me.  It even seems faster than 8.1.

I'm finding Windows 10 faster (I think) and easy to get around in.  I still have the "sleep" problem where I have to do a hard start if it goes to sleep, but I'm about to get that problem cornered.  I've found that if I log off, the problem does not occur.  So, next I've got to find the app that is loading and causing the problem when I log in.

W10 fixed the sleep problem I've had with my Dell since I bought it, and gave the problem to you!  So the universe is still in balance.  8)

What I did to keep mine from crashing every time I opened the lid was to change the power options.  When plugged in it would do nothing when the lid closed, on battery it would suspend instead of sleep.  Suspend (if you have that option) writes a file to the disk with all of memory and the current state of all devices.  When you open the lid and press the power button it will resume from suspend right where you were.  Think of it as a deep sleep.  Takes a little more time than waking up but it's still better than a total reboot.  It also uses no battery while in suspend.

I had a serious issue last night and my machine would not boot.  I followed the prompts and a fix was downloaded automatically and everything is good again.  Pretty slick!  At the same time I was working on someone elses W7 system.  No such luck there.  I'm going to end up doing a complete rebuild on that one.  :mad:

8Muddypaws said:
W10 fixed the sleep problem I've had with my Dell since I bought it, and gave the problem to you!  So the universe is still in balance.  8)

What I did to keep mine from crashing every time I opened the lid was to change the power options.  When plugged in it would do nothing when the lid closed, on battery it would suspend instead of sleep.  Suspend (if you have that option) writes a file to the disk with all of memory and the current state of all devices.  When you open the lid and press the power button it will resume from suspend right where you were.  Think of it as a deep sleep.  Takes a little more time than waking up but it's still better than a total reboot.  It also uses no battery while in suspend.

I had a serious issue last night and my machine would not boot.  I followed the prompts and a fix was downloaded automatically and everything is good again.  Pretty slick!  At the same time I was working on someone elses W7 system.  No such luck there.  I'm going to end up doing a complete rebuild on that one.  :mad:
I thought I had this wakeup problem resolved before, but it came back, so I'm almost afraid to mention this.  I created a new account and the problem seemed to be gone.  So, I looked at the differences in Startup apps between the new account and my old account and found the only difference was Google Installer.  I'm using Chrome and Google Installer is used to maintain updates in Chrome (I think).  I disabled Google Installer and so far, so good - no wakeup problem.

Now I'm not totally blaming Google Installer because many folks have it installed.  But, it may be in combination with other things that triggers the wakeup problem - in MY HP Pavilion 14-062US laptop.  Too many variables to say "aha!".  Maybe subsequent updates from Microsoft and/or Google will address this eventually.

8Muddypaws said:

I think that "suspend" is now called "Hybernate".
My preferred daily shutdown option, although Hybernate is now almost as slow as Power up from cold?.

There is sleep, hybrid sleep, and hibernate.  Each is a different way to reduce the power consumption of the computer when not in use, and each has advantages and disadvantages.  I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to research the differences :)  Hint: it's all in the Windows builtin help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom