Windows 10 Reservation made.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you upgrade (Do not know what happens in a clean install) Internet Exploder,er, Explorer is still there.

I found EDGE does not play nice with most of the pages I used MSIE for  so I had to figure out another way.. Firefox helped me do it since I have the OPEN IN IE add on and it did.  IE is still there.

Here is how to get IE back (At least one way)

Right click the start icon (Lower left, looks like a 4 pane window) and choose RUN
Type IEXPLORE.EXE
Hit Enter.

This should open MSIE and put a brighter than Edge colored lower case E icon in the task bar (To the right of the icon you just used)

Right click on that icon and "PIN TO TASK BAR"

you can now access MSIE with the same flaws and features it had before the upgrade.

SO far.. that (EDGE) is my only complaint..

Some  things seem to run faster.. I know programming shows to record using Firefox or MSIE took several seconds from the time I hit the schedule button to the confirmation screen
(The web host for this is another computer here in the RV.. I send the command to it via my house router, that computer (Windows XP) sends the schedule command to the recorder, which sends back an acknowledgment or a NAK depending, and the server (XP) computer sends it back to me) 
With 8.1 that took several (like 10-30) seconds.  With 10 it takes..... Like 1 (or less)  So I'm happy there.

Web browsing the bottle neck is external so that's not affected.   

But once I found MSIE so I could access the web pages that won't even let me log in with EDGE.. I'm much happier.

Edge got better after the first update (NOTE: I upgraded less than 12 hours ago and already I have an update).

SargeW said:
Well today is the last day to cancel my reservation for the Windows 10 upgrade.  My biggest concern is the forced automatic updates.  This has many in the IT world ticked off for a variety of reasons. 

What do the wizards here on the forum say about this?

They backed up on that.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2015/07/27/microsoft-backtracks-on-windows-10-forced-updates/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix

You can also revert to W7/8within 30 days.

One down, about 8 more to go.  Seemed to take longer than I expected but I have lots of apps and data on the first computer I chose to do.

So far everything works flawlessly, including Edge.

spacenorman said:
The IT game puts dinner on my table.  I've spent a huge portion of my life ferreting out problems in my company's IT environment that inevitably pop up in the wake of software upgrades.  Unless I suddenly develop a taste for extreme pain and frustration (..and there's fat chance of that happening!) - you couldn't pay me to be an "early adopter" of a new operating system.  Especially if I was going to have to install it on a machine that I wasn't willing to simply throw away if I encountered real issues.  On a machine that I used for anything truly important to me ... no way in hell !!!!!!

+1

As a lifelong software developer/designer, I totally agree. You have up to 1 year to install the free upgrade. I'll probably go for it about month 11, if there are not major problems. Plus, there are instructions on how to do a "clean" install with the download.

I did the upgrade about 26 hours ago (Finished) and the only thing I do not like so far is the edge browser, it does not play well with several sites I visit.. Thankfully, since I upgraded MSIE is still in there and works just fine for those sites that do not play well with Firefox or Chrome.  I am not sure if a clean install would preserve MSIE. 

A few other thigns I'm still working on relative to EDGE but that will happen in time.

I just read a big article in Popular Mechanics. The MS software engineer that developed 10 said that MSIE is packaged with Edge in the new download. They did it to avoid having to add a bunch of extra stuff to Edge to get it to work with a bunch of pre-existing applications.

So now I guess you will have 2 browsers to choose from if Edge won't work with your current programs.  I think I am sticking with Chrome.

I, too, upgraded a couple of days ago.  Everything went well, so far except for one thing which is turning into a PITA.  When my laptop goes to sleep due to time-out or closing the lid for a lengthy period of time, it will NOT wake up.  I have to do a forced shutdown (hold power button down) and restart.  So far nothing seems to help.  I've updated the display driver and all other drivers I can find that will update.  I tried forcing hibernation off, restarting and forcing back on.  I've tried just setting everything I can find that calls for going to sleep to "do nothing", but have trouble.  My laptop is a relatively new HP i3 Pavilion and I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1. 

I can usually fix such stuff, but this one has me stumped, so far.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, I did not know if MSIE was included or carried over because I upgraded.

It is not in the applications list though (At least not that I"ve found) but you can invoke it from RUN and then pin it to the task bar,, Which I did.  Cause so far Edge SUCKS. for all but one task I use it for,, and for that task it shines.

Oh, got Streets & Trips working too.. Did a repair install from CD and re-entered the authorization key,, Seems some genius type snapped a photo of the key sticker and slapped it on the hard drive just in CUSS, then stuck the DVD the program comes on into a handy side pocket on his computer bag where it could be found if needed.

Don't know why he'd do that..  (Oh yes I do, Just in cuss) sure saved on the cuss words.

W10 has fixed a problem we have had for almost a year.

Sometime last year MS did an update that had to do with networking.
After that update my scanner on the Panasonic Laser printer/scanner would
not work with W7 or W8 wireless laptops. It would only work with the XP machine
that is on the network.

Today I was printing from the W10 laptop and said what the heck, will it now scan?
Yes.
The W10 fixed a problem that neither I nor Panasonic could find an answer for.

I also checked the Privacy setting and cut off sharing I did not want.

Yes I am pleased.

So far, I haven't seen any real problem reports.  Mostly knee-jerk reactions to some of the default settings, but no show-stoppers.  I can't remember any OS release ever that seemed so trouble free.  Well, maybe a few Linux distros :)

Overall I'm pleased with it.  I've customized the desktop and fount it quite easy to manage.  I'm thinking I may set up multiple desktops based upon the task at hand.  Audio/video editing, database management, web surfing, etc. 

Unfortunately I'm having trouble with my Comcast Norton suite.  It won't update.  If you use Norton you may want to hold off for a while.

For the time being I'll use Windows Defender.

On the plus side my Dell laptop now goes to sleep properly when I close the lid.  It never worked right in W7.  Or any other OS I've tried on that box.

I'm hoping it will recognize the ODB2 interface to my cars.  Another thing that has been a problem in W7.

Norton fixed.  Used the Norton removal tool and re-installed the latest version.  Works fine now.

Apparently if I had stopped Norton before upgrading it would have worked from the get go.  How many times have I told someone to read the instructions?  8)

I haven't even tried the wireless Canon printer/scanner yet.  Thanks for warning me.

On edit:
Printer works.  Prolific USB to serial gets driver error.  Probably because the chip is counterfeit and Prolific found a way to check for that.  Never worked in W7 or 8 either.

Edge is fast, IE is slower than a snail on a cold morning.  Chrome & Firefox work OK.

I upgraded all four of my machines to Windows 10 this week, and it was a smooth, painless experience.
Machine 1 is an older AMD Athlon A2 desktop that had been running the Windows 10 Insider preview
Machine 2 is a Surface Pro 2 that had been running Windows 8.1
Machine 3 is an Intel 4th generation I5 that had been running Windows 7 Home
Machine 4 is a fairly new Dell Intel 4th generation I3 laptop with touch screen that had been running Windows 8.1
All of my old apps and installations, Windows-based or not, work normally right out of the gate. Even the Python and Django installations.
The sole issue so far is that Location Services (required for Cortana) are a huge battery drain, cutting reported battery life on the Surface down to 3 hours from the normal 7+ hours. So, no Location Services or Cortana on the portables for now, unless plugged in.
I like the look and speed of the new Edge browser. The only glitch there (already reported to Microsoft) is that it reversed the order of all of the bookmarks when it imported them from my Chrome browser.

I bit the bullet and did the update this morning.  A bit over an hour to do the update, and so far, everything is working but my 8Gadget pack.

There is one setting you should change.  Settings | Update and Security | Windows Update | Advanced Options | Choose how updates are delivered | Updates from more than one place.  Either turn it off completely or, if you have other Windows 10 computers on your LAN, check PCs on my local network.

For those of you  who have used this new Windows 10 for a while now, if one is a bit leery of using "the cloud" for storage, what does the effect of disabling that option (if possible) have on the ease of use of this new O/S?? Is giving this much power to Microsoft a worry for you??

Background: First computer (1977) Apple II+ clone, first "IBM" a 286 with DOS 3, first Windows version: Windows 3... presently Windows 7, most other versions in between). First computer exposure started 1970 with a special purpose electronic switching system as a tech, used timeshare etc.

I think storing in the cloud is the only way to go. I have been doing it for years. It is much easier to find my stuff on any computer and I don't have to back it up. I don't care if anyone steals any of it, it is just photos, mp3s and videos. My collection used to take about 40 CDs and an entire weekend to back up.

Alfa38User said:
For those of you  who have used this new Windows 10 for a while now, if one is a bit leery of using "the cloud" for storage, what does the effect of disabling that option (if possible) have on the ease of use of this new O/S?? Is giving this much power to Microsoft a worry for you??

If you're referring to the Sync Settings feature, I would use it if I was using the same Microsoft account on multiple devices.  If you have just the one computer, it's not needed.

If you're asking about cloud storage in general, I do backup all my important files to Amazon Cloud Services.  Don't use any service that doesn't allow you to encrypt your data before uploading.  You don't want the encryption keys stored on the cloud service server, so that eliminates quite a few unless you want to do special processing each time you backup.  But that defeats the simplicity of a could backup.  This is a topic all by itself and isn't related to Windows 10 specifically.

I recently switched the Red Cross chapter where I volunteer over to cloud backup for their LAN.  Previously a backup was run to DAT tape every night.  The nightly backup took about 13 hours.

The first cloud backup took 3 weeks to complete but since then the nightly incremental backup takes less than an hour.  Restoring single files or directories is easier and faster than from tape.

I also set it up to to a full tape backup at the end of every month.  Because I don't trust the cloud 100%. 

I have stacks of disk drives at home so I back everything up to external disks.  Disks are cheap and fairly reliable.  I use ToDo backup and Clonezilla from www.majorgeeks.com.  Both are free.  Clonezilla is faster but not easy for non-techies to use.

Back
Top Bottom