Windows 10 download-put it on a thumb drive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

don10autos

I have 4 computers running windows 7 or 8. Two are home, and two travel with us in the coach.  Any knowledgeable folks out there know if I can download it to a thumb drive and then upgrade my other computers at a later time?  Also my 10 inch Asus has a solid state HD and I don't know if it will hold the upgrade (2 to 3 GB) while it still has 8.1.  unless I use a thumb drive.  With thumb drive I would not have to download multiple times and use up all my Verizon Mi-Fi plan which is 30 GB per month. 

You can get the preview version in an ISO and install it from a flash drive.  It's not known yet if the final version will be available in ISO format, but I suspect it will.

Ned, you, (and most others) are so far ahead of me-trying to learn about computers!!  What is an ISO?  Is a flash drive the same as a thumb drive?  Is the main drive in my little ASUS considered a flash drive?  ((All I know is it doesn't spin-no moving parts-thought that was a big plus when I bought it 2 years ago.)  Guess I should look for RV rallies that have computer classes-  Don Weaver 

An ISO is a file format that can be either burned to a CD/DVD or to a flash (sometimes called thumb) drive.  You can then boot from the CD/DVD or flash drive to, in this case, install Windows.  You would need a minimum of a 4GB flash drive to hold a the contents of a DVD sized ISO file.  If/when Microsoft offers Windows 10 in an ISO format, it will also include instructions on how to burn it to a DVD or flash drive for use.

You have an SSD drive in your Asus computer.  Very similar to a flash drive, but designed to replace a hard disk so uses a different interface to the computer.  You're correct, it has no moving parts and is faster than a hard disk.

Check your local library for computer classes.

I just came across this article that describes how to make an ISO file out of the update files once their downloaded.  It's a bit complicated but not difficult for someone with some computer savvy.

Back
Top Bottom