I couldn't help it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denmarc

How cute is this!? This little guy was born about 3 weeks ago about 30 minutes north of my homested. I drive past the place every morning on my way home during work. His name is Dragon. We call them a "Piebald". Momma walked away from him after only a couple of hours after birth. It's a nature thing. His coloring isn't normal and wouldn't last long in the wild. He's in good hands and being well taken care of.

Just thought I would share.

BTW, my DW wants to adopt him!

Attachments

• o-WHITE-FACED-FAWN-570.jpg
    o-WHITE-FACED-FAWN-570.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 162
  • o-WHITE-FACED-FAWN-5703.jpg
    o-WHITE-FACED-FAWN-5703.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 128
He's so beautiful!  I had heard the word "piebald" but didn't know what it meant.  So the poor thing doesn't have the right pigmentation but he's not an albino.  Fascinating.  Thanks for the photos.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
He's so beautiful!  I had heard the word "piebald" but didn't know what it meant.  So the poor thing doesn't have the right pigmentation but he's not an albino.

Yep. Not an Albino. Word is that there is a Piebald on the premises. Apparently, there is another with the same gene. And we all know it takes "two to tango". Only two with the same gene (very rare) resulted in this little bundle of cute! 

He does have a good prospect to grow up, depending on his health. I guess that there are some health issues associated with being a piebald. He probably would have never made it in the wild otherwise.

We have piebalds and a true albino once in a while here on Delmarva, and from what I have seen, they have no more health issues than a normally marked deer. I saw the same albino for about 5 years when growing up until it was shot by an out of town hunter while he was trespassing. All the locals just let it go. The same has been observed with piebalds. It is normal for a doe to leave it's young fairly early, but return later. Often a fawn is seen and assumed to be abandoned, but t usually isn't. You may not see the doe, but most of the time, if there are people around, she will not endanger herself or fawn by exposing herself.

Being a Michigander, and an outdoorsman, well aware of how wild deer act.

Dragon was born in captivity. Mom was at his side until abandonment a few hours later. Studies have shown that there may be some immune deficiencies associated with being piebald. Not to mention that if he were to have been born in the wild, his unique coloring would make him a target even in the dark. He would of been coyote dinner weeks ago. 

Regardless, this fawn is doing well. And the face of this little guy intrigued me to share.

denmarc, please accept my apologies.  My statement wasn't directed to you, it was just a general statement.  I didn't realize Dragon was born in captivity.  Glad to hear it is being taken care of. I also hadn't heard about problems with immune deficiencies.  I'll try to get educated on that. Coyotes aren't a problem around here,  but that is starting to change, as they are getting a decent foothold in this area now.
By the way, great pics. The little fellow sure is eye catching.

kdbgoat said:
denmarc, please accept my apologies.

Not necessary. No offense taken.

We had quite a problem in some areas here in MI with coyotes. They were making a big come back about 20 years back. Over the last 10-15 years, it seems the numbers have been falling. During the same time, those of us out in the woods noticed a large decrease in rabbit, grouse, deer, fox, small animals in general. Even squirrels and chipmonks.
Our local DNR has their opinion as to why. Us locals don't always agree. Another thread.
During the last approx. 5 years, we don't hear the coyote night calls anymore. Rarely see them. We think they ate themselves out of house and home and moved on. A few more "critter" sightings have been told at the local watering holes and restaurants. A good sign.

It's amazing to me to watch Mother Nature at work! Especially when she throws a curve ball every now and then (Dragon). It may take a lifetime to get a good picture.
Not on film or digital camera, but on your soul.

There are four kinds of unique fur and skin variations in the animal, bird, and reptile kingdoms. Albino is the most common we hear about, but not necessarily the most common in the wild.

Albinism: complete lack of pigment in the hair, skin, and eyes.

Melanism: the opposite of albinism; advanced pigment in the hair, skin, and eyes. Black panthers are the most common Melenistics, as they are actually cougars, or panthers that have Melanism.  There are melanistic penguins, snakes, mammals.

Leucism: Lack of pigment in one area...fur or skin or eyes...not an Albino which has a lack of all three.

Piebald: Lack of melanocycle in certain areas of skin and hair; like the example picture above.

All of them are really rare. Recently, a homeowner in Rockton, IL snapped a photo of an Albino Raccoon, the only one ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom