Full timing in a 2015 Jayco Pinnacle, your thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffC1954

Hello All,

We are considering the Jayco Pinnacle for full timing, I would like to get some input, good choice? bad choice? pros and cons?

We have had two slide in campers and two TT's, this will be our first 5th wheel.

Thank you

There is no answer to that. If  it's big enough and laid out in a way that suits your particular needs, fine. If not, the brand doesn't make much difference. Overall, Jayco builds pretty well and will likely to be superior to less expensive brands.

Jeff,

Your question will generate a wide range of conversation because of the variety of the way folks "full time" in an RV.

First crack out of the box is how many folks, how many critters, how much stuff do you have to have to enjoy the world, how much space does that stuff occupy, etc.

Then you have to decide on how much kitchen space do you require, what are the sleeping arrangements, how big a truck to move with, can you use the truck well separated from the trailer, etc.

Just some starter questions.

We have seen people fulltiming in anything from truck campers, to Casitas, to conversion vans, to the longest, tallest Class A's. How you can maximize use of minimum space and still have fun, and also, where you intend to park are also drivers to the final decision.

Do some research in the fulltiming section on how others have seen the challenges and listen to what folks respond here. Ultimately, you get to chose what's best for you, and do NOT be shocked that the view will change as time passes fulltiming.

Best of luck in whatever you choose!

Kim

Thanks Gary, with our Budget we cant go higher ($$$) than the Jayco Pinnacle. We are looking for quality in the 60K to 80K range.
Thanks Kim, here is additional info, 2 adults, 1 small dog, tow vehicle will be either a Dodge 4500 or 5500 crew cab with a hauler bed.
The front living room is our 5th wheel model of choice.
Since we can not afford both truck and trailer to be new, and we are set on a front living model, we plan to go used truck, new 5th wheel.

I truly appreciate the responses and all of the forums are useful, our Full timing is set for early 2017, I will retire in late 2016 and my wife in early 2017. Plan to have Truck and 5th wheel ready by mid 2016.

Since we can not afford both truck and trailer to be new, and we are set on a front living model, we plan to go used truck, new 5th wheel.

Personally, I would opt for a new truck and used trailer, if I could find a used one that met my needs. A new RV depreciates faster than a new truck (I know, both are bad!), and used trucks in that size are harder to find than used trailers. Plenty of good used RVs around if you are willing to shop widely. Of course, if a local RV dealer is your requirement, the choices are likely much more limited.  I'll concede, though, that the front living room is going to be rare on the used market, so that may be the deciding factor.

A trailer is primarily a house rather than a vehicle, so "previously owned" should not be as much concern as it might be with a car or truck.

Good point Gary, yes a used front living seems to be hard to find, perhaps I will go that route when we are ready, still open to ideas.

Here are the "must Haves"

Front Living 5th wheel, so far we really like the Jayco Pinnacle, the Front Living room gives us the best option for our intended use.

I'm a RAM man period, that does not mean Ford and Chevy/GMC are not good vehicles, they are just not my preference. I will get a RAM 4500 or 5500, and you are right Gary, used ones are hard to find, got my eye on one, if my plan works I will get it in a week or two, if not I will keep searching. I have priced new also, the bed is a very big expense and the biggest reason im looking at used.

Thanks for input, that's why im here and I do appreciate it much!

Have you thought about a motorhome? With a budget of 60-80K for a 5th wheel and I priced out a Ram 2500, so I know a 4500 or 5500 is going to run you quite a bit as new they run upwards of $50K. Last Fall while at the Hershey RV show I was able to work a deal on a Georgetown 377XL gasser for around $115K new so you could probably get something a year or 2 old and actually save some money. You attach a toad which I am sure you already have something.
Just a thought if you are full timing

A 4500 is probably overkill. A Ram 3500 diesel dually should handle even the 40 foot Pinnacle. It grosses out at 16,000 lbs and late model 3500's can do that.

Martin2340's suggestion of a motorhome is a worth one as well. you can buy a really nice used motorhome for the price of a Pinnacle & truck. Heck, I'll sell you mine for less than that!  Probably have enough left over to get a cool Ram 1500 to tow behind it too.

We are also preparing to full time in about a year and researching appropriate 5th wheels.  Here are a couple tidbits from what I have learned.  It is important for full timing to pick a rig that is warranted for full time use, otherwise you run the risk of having the warranty voided.  Also consider if the unit is warranted for full time use, it is likely built a bit better and better able to handle the rigors of full time living.  The Jayco Pinnacle does not offer the floor plan we like, so I cannot answer whether it is warranted for full time living.  I suspect the Pinnacle is the best choice of the Jayco line for full time living and Jayco does have a 2-year warranty.  A second consideration for you to consider, with regards to the front living room floor plan is they typically offer less basement storage than units with the typical mid or front master bedroom floor plan.  This may or may not be important to you, but it is for us and as such have ruled out the front living room floor plans, but everyone is different.

The "warranteed for fulltime use" thing is a bit tricky, since legally no RV can be defined as being intended as a full time residence. If described as anything other than "recreational use", it would have to meet residential building codes, in this case the Manufactured Home codes, which are much stricter than the Recreational Vehicle code.  Therefore it's a bit disingenuous for an RV manufacturer to say they won't warranty full time use - they are all part-time by definition.

But I think Gizmo is right in that the manufacturers who disavow "full time" in their warranty probably know there is no way their RV will hold up even a year in daily use. They are what we used to call "weekender" RVs, intended only for light, occasional use. You definitely want the better grade (and therefore higher priced) brand/model if you expect to be using it every day for years. Quality of materials and construction will quickly show.

Great responses!! This is very helpful.
Martin 2340-We have looked at MH, the only ones that fit (floor Plan) were well out of our price range, sadly enough I have a perfect toad, 1999 Jeep Box Cherokee 4X4.
Gary-Yep I know, overkill and you are correct, but I sold Ram trucks and Sprinter vans for many years, I am convinced that the better transmission and braking in the 4500 and 5500 models offer a more stable platform, just my opinion, would never try to convince anyone differently- The price of the 4500/5500 is comparable to a 3500 from the research I have done. The 5th wheel Warranty tho has me rethinking, I will have to look at other front living manufacturers, specifically to see if full timing voids any warranties.
Gizmo-you are 100 percent correct, less basement storage in front living models, unfortunately I will have to live with that and make adjustments.
Front living models are the only ones my wife likes, I want to spend several years on the road, so..... Happy Wife, Happy Life!
We have had 2 TT's and 2 Slide in Campers, this will be our first 5th Wheel, 3 months is the longest we stayed in the TT and we did that twice between duty stations while on active duty.

I truly appreciate all the responses, this is very helpful!!!! I am really enjoying this  forum, I cant wait to get on the road!!!

Jeff I have to admit after looking at the many 5th wheels we went through at the last RV show we visited that I agree with your wife on the front living models. My wife also stated our next will be a front living 5ver. I just didn't have enough truck this time but will definitely bump up to at least a 350/3500 on next go around.
Good luck on your search and Happy Camping

Back
Top Bottom