What's in a name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Figuring out a screen name can be a pain sometimes. When I signed on here, someone already had registered here using the screen name I usually use. They have not posted since registering.

A good choice is your real name with perhaps last initial to make it unique.  I really don't like the anonymity of screen names.  I prefer to address people by their real name.

Ned said:
A good choice is your real name with perhaps last initial to make it unique.  I really don't like the anonymity of screen names.  I prefer to address people by their real name.

That's exactly what I use.  ;)

I don't know, my screen name denotes a state of being...On-the-Move (Oscar Mike). Although my real name is on my signature line.

Oscar Mike said:
I don't know, my screen name denotes a state of being...On-the-Move (Oscar Mike). Although my real name is on my signature line.

John, you're OK with your name in your signature but I would never call you Oscar-Mike :(

Ned said:
John, you're OK with your name in your signature but I would never call you Oscar-Mike :(

:) Good, because if you said "Hey Oscar" I probably wouldn't realize that you were talking to me.

Lawrence, my son did the same to me. When he signed me up for gmail years ago, I became cadeenator.  ;D

Cadee is a nickname that my dad gave me when I was a baby. It was the only nickname I ever had (that was appropriate) so when I first got online, its the one I used. 
About half the people I know who I met from various computer forums and chat rooms and groups call me Cadee, most everyone else calls me Caryl. Though there are some who call me names I can't repeat.  :eek:

Tom would probably respond to Thomas but if anyone called me Margaret I would be looking around to see who amswered.  As Bob Buchanan once said "Margi is pronounced Mar - "gee as in geese, not gee as in gee whiz."  ;)

That's good to know because a friend of ours, same spelling, pronounces her name Reenie, short for Irene.

My last name is Buck and there are 2 of us, since the fawn left almost 20 years ago. Years ago most if not all boards would not or could not accept a number as the first character of a screen name, so 2Bucks couldn't be used. So, you've known my name all along, you just didn't realize it.

Ken

Margi, the very first job I had at age 16 was an issue because of my name which is pretty unique.  This was a women's clothing store and there was another employee whose name was Audrey.  The owner decided I would be known by my middle name, Elizabeth, which no one had ever used before.  He would stand at the back of the store and call Elizabeth, finally screaming it.  I'm sure he thought I was being insubordinate because I never answered.  Would you believe I only lasted one week in that job???  My mother didn't like nicknames and made sure we had names that couldn't be shortened!  What's really funny is that many of my ancestors went by their middle names which makes genealogy difficult.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
What's really funny is that many of my ancestors went by their middle names which makes genealogy difficult.

ArdraF,

I have the same problem with my Godwards but my Mother's father's family used the same names in each generation and usually in the same order of birth.  Think about that going through old records!!  Not easy to sort out to say the last, really frustrating.

Oh yes, Jim, I have a few of them too!  My German immigrant Johann's sons were Johann Matthew, Johann Mark, Johann Luke, and Johann Johann!  They were all baptized as Johann but went by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.  How original!  It's enough to make you tear your hair out....

ArdraF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom