Passenger seat safety screen for cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want my two cats free to wander while I'm driving. But I also like to have the passenger side window open.

Has anyone found a screen or net to keep the cats in?

Thanks,
Russ

Russ,

We have traveled full time for five years with two cats in a large Class A. While we do let the cats find their way in the coach as we travel, typically  they prefer to park after  the initial half hour and sleep.

That said, we have had issues with them roaming and getting into the driver space and they are unpredictable when they do that. It's a huge distraction and dangerous. Are you going to step on your cat or the brake? As you shoo them away, how distracted are you?

Giving them an open window, even with a mesh, does not sound like a great solution, especially if you are the only occupant of the coach.

You may have a different experience with your cats and this advice would not apply to you but this is our experience.

Kim

skyking4ar2 said:
Russ,

We have traveled full time for five years with two cats in a large Class A. While we do let the cats find their way in the coach as we travel, typically  they prefer to park after  the initial half hour and sleep.

That said, we have had issues with them roaming and getting into the driver space and they are unpredictable when they do that. It's a huge distraction and dangerous. Are you going to step on your cat or the brake? As you shoo them away, how distracted are you?

Giving them an open window, even with a mesh, does not sound like a great solution, especially if you are the only occupant of the coach.

You may have a different experience with your cats and this advice would not apply to you but this is our experience.

Kim

Thanks for your thoughtful comment. You may be right about my cats being a dangerous distraction in the cab. I will to see how they behave once i get on the road.

Coming from a shelter, they are still timid. I anticipate it will be a big adjustment for them and will take some time.

I made a window  cover for our motorhome just for this reason.  I went o Home Depot and found some decorative metal such as is used in cabinet fronts etc..  It was kinda pricey but it works well and looks good.  I built a frame from some 1"x1" pine, painted evey thing black and then Velcro it to window frame.  It allows air flow and keeps the cat in.  Also made a couple for the small slide-out windows for use when parked.  That way we can ramble and leave windows open for ventilation for animal and not have to worry about the AC failing.  Instead of the decorative metal, you could use the heavy, small-squares rabbit wire.  But this can allow claws to get to the window screen.  Cat cant get out but can tear holes in the screen.

I have been full timing in a 32 foot class A for ten years, the last five with three cats. When I start driving all three cats go find some place to lay down and go to sleep. Cats are hunters and their eyes are very sensitive to motion of any sort. So staring out the window literally drives them nuts. They much prefer sleeping to watching the road. The only problem I had was having them try and get under the dash both while driving and while parked. It is not a place you want cats to be. I have built a 'dam' to keep them from getting under the dash. All three cats have been living in a motorhome all their lives so it is just normal for them.

I would not leave a window open while driving with cats inside. A few months ago I was on my way to Universal Studios when I saw a cat jump out of a car window on I-4 at 60 mph. The cat bounced once and got hit by a car. Not a pretty sight. They were right next to me when it happened. If you have the window open make sure it has a screen over it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom