Small Norcold Frig on '79 Bluebird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madgap0920

We just bought a vintage Bluebird.  Never had an RV before so even more of a challenge.  The refrigerator is not turned on the coldest setting, yet it is already frozen up in the back and also in the freezer part.  Also, there is a tray back therein the back of the frig part of water with an ice coating that I guess I need to empty.  What is that??

This is a tiny refrigerator. We had to leave the site yesterday to go to another, and because the generator would not start (another issue), the frig was off for about 2 hours.  Water was on the floor under it when we stopped.  I am assuming I will have to defrost?  How often?  Best way to do so without ruining wood floor underneath, which already has a couple of bubbles under it.  DId not know we would have to do this but we are fulltime and can't have food going bad all the time. 

Please enlighten me!! Help!! Thanks.

More questions than answers.

For starters where are you located? Humidity is a factor in defrosting times. I never have to do it here in Arizona.

Apparently the bus part is 1979 but what year is the fridge and what model, specifically?

Seems odd that in only two hours of being off ice would be melting. Are you sure it was only off for two hours?

I understand about the generator but can't the fridge run on propane, using battery power for its small 12v load?

On a good note I'd rather have to deal with too cold a fridge than one that doesn't cool enough.

Michael

What Norcold model number?

"Frozen up" inside means the seals are leaking around the door, letting warm moist air in, which then freezes on the chiller fins. You need to fix the air leaks.

Defrosting: they are not self-defrosting, if that's what you ask. The drip tray is there to collect condensation that forms on the fins and drain it off - there should be a tube from the tray that goes down and out through the back of the fridge. It is supposed to drain outside, or into an evaporator pan at the back. Sounds like yours just drips onto the floor.  Need to move it to a more suitable place.

We only defrost ours a couple times a year, but as long as you have air leaks it will have to be done more often.

if that is a 79 model fridge- spend 400 bucks and get a 10 cu ft apartment fridge,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom