Tornados are awsome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chet18013

Full time in RV. Home is where we are parked
Well, we have had quite a bit of excitement since Thursday evening. About 18:00, we had a tornado come through and touch down near us. It went right across the end of our driveway. Thank goodness, our driveway, a private lane, is 3/4 mile long, so we had no damage, but some dead branches  knocked down and 5 trees across our power line, which parallels the driveway. We have been without power since the event and I have a 6.5KW generator that is keeping things going. The twister also crossed right  over the main sub station that feeds the power to the whole area and lines are down everywhere. The power co. engineer says our line should be back up sometime today. It took some 24-30" diameter oaks and just twisted the trunks off about 10' above the ground. One of the neighbors had a corrugated steel roof on his garage. It's gone now. One of the sheets is wrapped around a tree about 30' above the ground near his place. Half way up our driveway, in a neighbors field, it picked up a large grain wagon, moved it about 100 yds and set it on one corner of the body up against a tree. The neighbors corn crib, with about 250 bushels of corn in it was picked up and set in a heap right in the center of our driveway--corn and all.

Mother nature is all powerful!.

We were lucky no damage was done to the pole barn where our motorhome was stored.

Chet18013

Wow Chet Sam & I are glad you didn't suffer any damage.  Hope your kids are ok too.  I was thinking about you when we heard about the Twister in Penn.  Thanks for the report.

Absolutely you were very fortunate.  We've been in Tornado hit areas most of our lives and They a absolutely devistating. Once years ago I was hurled from our rooftop into a neighbors tree with a laddr rapped around me and was pinned there with a branch  in my side for over 2 hrs, while being pelted by hail stones half the size of golf balls.  Still have some of the scars.  Was no picnic,  thought I was dead and just dreaming.  Tornado area is always dangerous, no if's and or buts.  Gald you survived.

Tornadoes are one of the most powerful forces of nature, you're fortunate you didn't have it pass any closer.

Better get Bud back there to get that substation online.

Wow Chet ! Glad it was trees and not the house or you guys that were damaged. Hope you were in the storm cellar while it was happening. Time to come west out of harm's way.

p.s. Shayne, what were you doing on the roof during a tornado?????

Who Knows? (Installing new roof,  This was in early 70's.  One thing about it, as far as I know, no living human has ever accused my of being to intelligent, that I am aware, but a lot of people have called me a Smart Arse.  My thing is I just hope there is a little simularity  LOL

Tornadoes may be awesome but remember this:

The best place to be during a Tornado is  ELSEWHERE

(That is somewhere the tornado is not)

Trust me, I've had lots of training and more than I care to have of experience (I have been within a mile or two of at least half a dozen tornadoes, and that is, in my opinion, at least half a dozen too many)

Chet,

I'm having trouble believing this.  First my sister told me she heard there was a tornado in Greensburg PA and now this one in Bangor.  My sister and I (both native Pennsylvanians) agree we have never heard of tornados in Pennsylvania.  What is going on back there? ???

Glad you weren't hit and it sounds like no one was hurt.

ArdraF

Wow, Chet!!!

Glad all is o.k. with you and Laurie and hopefully with your daughter and family as well.  Certainly happy to hear no great damage.  I'm sure that is a great reason for building "the bra in the woods".  Hard for a tornado to get ahold of that one.  Tornados are Mother Nature's way of pruning the trees, so she saved you some work there.  She only left you the clean up to manage.....

As the others have said, time to get out of Dodge (Bangor) and head for the West!!!!

Daisy & Fred,

Holy Mackeral, Chet.

So glad that y'all are OK and damage was done to your place. WOW.

Jack and Liz

Back
Top Bottom