4G LTE Cell booster for RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ken & Sheila

Site Team
WeBoost (FKA Wilson Electronics) website finally show that the promised 4G/LTE cell signal boost system for RVs will be available at the end of summer. Quiet a while ago they had said the end of 2014, but obviously it got delayed.

http://store.weboost.com/products/rv-4g

Finally I'll get to upgrade my old 3G system.

ken

I don't see the difference between that and the 4G small house/office system. I'm using the WeBoost DT4G in my coach right now. I have the external antenna on a PVC mast on my ladder and the internal antenna in the lounge area. 4 bands and LTE.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I don't see the difference between that and the 4G small house/office system.

Be careful if you try to use house system in an RV; typically it is very difficult to comply with the necessary antenna separation requirements in an RV.  If the antennas are two close they will interfere with each other and the result will be a significant performance reduction.

Antenna separation is only 20 feet so that is doable. More of a potentail issue is the the exterior antenna should not be pointed at the interior antenna. Probably OK most of the time.
The RV version will use a mobile omni direction antenna.

Wilson recommended that I not try to use the Home version, but Gary is using it successfully.

ken

Ken, will these work with 3G devices.  We've got unlimited data on our Verizon Air Card so are reluctant to upgrade our 3G router.  Still, it's so frustrating waiting for a connection on our Cradle Point, that I'm ready to do what is necessary to have reasonable speed.  When you refer to antenna separation are you talking about a fixed antenna in the RV or the location of the router?  If the latter, it should be doable in our 32 foot Aerbus.  If a fixed antenna, I have no idea where ours is located.  Other than for Cable what other antenna does an RV have?  If the crank up antenna on the roof would cause interference, I'm not sure how I'd get around the 20 foot separation issue. 

Gary RV Roamer, how does your system differ from the 4G LTE?  Also, can you tell me a bit more about your external antenna.  What kind and whether or not it's permanently fastened to your ladder. 

Gary

To put things in perspective, the only way I can post a reply to this thread is to log directly onto the RV Forum.  When I try to open my Yahoo home page or mail, more often than not it times out.  Not sure why but suspect it has to do with the amount of advertising and videos that open automatically. 

garyb1st said:
Ken, will these work with 3G devices.  We've got unlimited data on our Verizon Air Card so are reluctant to upgrade our 3G router.  Still, it's so frustrating waiting for a connection on our Cradle Point, that I'm ready to do what is necessary to have reasonable speed.  When you refer to antenna separation are you talking about a fixed antenna in the RV or the location of the router?  If the latter, it should be doable in our 32 foot Aerbus.  If a fixed antenna, I have no idea where ours is located.  Other than for Cable what other antenna does an RV have?  If the crank up antenna on the roof would cause interference, I'm not sure how I'd get around the 20 foot separation issue. 

Gary RV Roamer, how does your system differ from the 4G LTE?  Also, can you tell me a bit more about your external antenna.  What kind and whether or not it's permanently fastened to your ladder. 

Gary

The distance is between the Outside antenna and the inside antenna. The Outside antenna receives the cell signal and sends it to the amplifier which the sends it to the inside antenna for "re-broadcast".
This system would not change your Air Card (which has its own internal antenna), its just gives it a stronger signal. More important it gives it a signal when the cell signal is too weak for the AirCard to use.

It hopefully will give you a usable signal when otherwise you would not have one, but it will not improve the speed. Exception, it may improve sped when the Aircard has a signal but a Very weak one.

Because this system boosts the strength of the cell signal and rebroadcasts it will also help your cell phone reception.

My current Wilson amplifier is a 3G, direct connect. This version plugs into the antenna port on your phone, Aircard or MIFI -- IF they have an antenna port. Many new phones no longer have an external antenna port.

That's why I want a system that boost the signal and rebroadcasts it so all cell devices can use it - even several at the same time.

This system will work on 3G, but you could probably get a older used Wilson 3G amplifier system on Ebay for a lot less.

These systems are for when your in the "boonies". Won't help at all when you have a decent cell signal.

ken

As Ken says, the DT4G stipulates only 20 ft minimum separation and that the directional antenna not be pointed at the inside antenna. I asked Wilson/WeBoost about using it in motorhome and they merely reiterated those requirements from the installation manual. They did say that the large house/office system would be more difficult to maintain adequate sepration, due to the larger coverage area of the inside antenna.

The DT4G comes with a desktop interior antenna and directional flat panel external antenna, plus 40 ft of coax antenna cable.

The DT4G is now called the Home 4G system. Functionally identical and same things in the kit but the SKU number changed from 460101 to 470101.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom