Converting U-shaped dinette to face-to-face seating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmmom

We are looking at a Lance 850 and like it except for the U-shaped seating.  We would like to convert it to face to face booth seating.  Has anyone ever done this.  Do not want camper with slideouts.

It does not look like anyone is responding.
Not exactly what ypu are asking but many including my wife and I hated
the uncomfortable booth seats. Most are not well padded and the backs
are too straight. That is just a personal opinion.

Couple of questions...

How many folks in your camping party?

Do you plan to use the dinette area for sleeping?

Looking at the floorplan of that unit, it appears the floor only extends to the front of the long bench at the back of the U.  It's seat is actually the edge of the camper that extends over the top of the pickup bed.

There's only 4 ft. of width to work with at the floor level - the distance between the wheel wells on a standard pickup.

That's probably why the manufacturer chose to make the dinette U-shaped.  If you make it into a booth you'll only have legroom on the two short sections that extend ahead of the existing bench seat.

The only way to fit a booth dinette would be to raise the dinette floor to the level of the existing seats, then build the new dinette on top of it.  That's what they do with slideout campers, but the rise is partially disguised because the camper floor is already raised over an underfloor storage area.

I think I understand what Lou is getting at and why it wouldn't really work

I'll add comment.
we have often thought the corner in a u-shaped is among the most comfortable.  In that Lance floor plan, there's seating for two, nuzzled up into the corners... one with feet pointing to the toilet and the other's feet pointing to the stove..... if that makes sense.

With a standard straight dinette, your only option is sitting straight backed and uncomfortable.

I just bought a Lance camper with the same floor plan and laid the table down to check out the bed arrangement.  The table extends about 3" beyond the seat which doesn't make sense...why didn't Lance just reduce the width of the table to match the seat instead of creating a "knee knocker" ?  I guess to have more table space  ???  ;)

Back
Top Bottom