12V system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napalm204

Please help.  I have the coach plugged in to 110 house current.  The battery disconnect is on and glowing red.  The converter is humming as always.  But I have no interior 12v lights or water pump.  The automatic step works, the florescent lights work, the monitor control panel works (showing how much I have in my tanks, battery charge, etc.) but the 12v system is dead.

Only variable since last time I had all lights on and working is I put a new fuel pump on my generator and after the repair it ran great for 10-minutes, but now I think I have some carburetor problems.  Anyway, while the genset was running and plugged in could it have burned a fuse or tripped something electrical in the 12v system?

My motorhome is a 1995 National Dolphin, Model 432, Ford chassis, with a 460/7.5L gas engine

I think it is simple, but so far no luck.  The manual suggest turning the disconnect on and off several times which resets the breakers, but this did not solve my problem.

As always, any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.

The steps run off the chassis battery, and possibly the other things you mentioned as well.  The battery disconnect switch operates a relay, which actually closes the circuit to supply 12v power to the coach. Maybe that relay has failed?

Gary is on the right track. Just work downstream from the batteries to isolate the problem.

If the disconnect isolator is a manual one, it has a coil of wire inside that becomes a magnet when a bit of 12vdc is passed through it. There should be a metallic click as the metal donut drops into place when the coil becomes magnetized to close the circuit and a metallic click when it is released (coil demagnetized) and the circuit is opened to prevent 12vdc to your loads.

Just take the back of screwdriver and tap the isolation solenoid...if it is stuck it may release as it did with me about two weeks ago on a unit. Then replace it.

If it is electronic...you have more fun research to do.

Easy peasy. Use one of those ice pick like tools you get at an auto center, attaching it to a good ground to work downline from connection to connection.

Have fun on your learning journey!

But I have no interior 12v lights or water pump.  The automatic step works, the florescent lights work,...

This statement seems to be in conflict with itself. What are these "florescent lights" that work, if not "interior lights"?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom