Powerline 2000 Energy Management System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee77

We recently picked our 2004 Winnebago Brave from a window replacement Co. with elect. connection to keep our food and clothing cool. when I returned to a campground the  Powerline 2000 Energy Management System only registers 30 amp service when plugged into 50 amp service. I've tried other connections and had the campground check the 50 amp connection which shows good 50 amp service. Also the indicator only shows a 5 amp draw with both A/Cs on, also the elec. water heater doesn't turn on.

Would appreciate any advice, Lee

Edit by staff: changed message icon to topic solved

It's possible the campground outlet has both 50A legs on the same phase, that will make your EMS think it's on a 30A circuit.  If you have a voltmeter, check between the 2 hot legs on the outlet and if it shows 0V, then that's the problem.  It should show 240V on a properly wired 50A outlet.

Thanks Ned, but the camp electrician checked the receptacle and said it read 238 volts. any other thoughts?
Lee

Download the EMS manual here from my web site and follow their troubleshooting instructions.  Another good test is to run your generator and see if everything is normal.  If so then the problem is most likely between the transfer switch to the power source (the pedestal.)

The 5 amp reading is because the EMS  measures the neutral wire current and that is inaccurate when on 50A service. Try resetting the EMS by removing 12v power from it for 10-15 seconds. In most coaches turning the battery to disconnect to Off ("store" on some coaches)  will do that. Shore power should also be disconnected at the same time.

I reset the EMS as suggested and went through the trouble shooting guide as suggested and the problem is unchanged. I saw a 12 volt 3 amp fuse in the wiring diag. do you know where I can find its location.

Thanks for your help, Lee

On the Generator everything is normal. Also everything seems to be normal on shore power except the elect. water heater doesn't heat the water although the light on the switch is on. I replaced the thermostat and thermo. shut off after our last trip because it seemed to over heat the water and created a burnt wire smell when left on. It is 95 here in Fla. and both A/Cs are working fine.

Thanks Lee

Lee77 said:
We recently picked our 2004 Winnebago Brave from a window replacement Co. with elect. connection to keep our food and clothing cool. when I returned to a campground the  Powerline 2000 Energy Management System only registers 30 amp service when plugged into 50 amp service. I've tried other connections and had the campground check the 50 amp connection which shows good 50 amp service. Also the indicator only shows a 5 amp draw with both A/Cs on, also the elec. water heater doesn't turn on.

Would appreciate any advice, Lee

The problem you are describing sounds very similar to the problems I had with the Powerline EMS system in my 2006 Journey. Perhaps my thread on the subject will help - Click Here

-Russ

Thanks to all who replied to my dilemma, I'm sure the module is my problem. Once again you have saved my bacon.

Lee

Come to find out the module was not the only thing I needed to change, Lisa at Winnebago Outdoors says I need 3 other parts. Two wiring harnesses and a new display. I have ordered it all, Hope I can install them.

The update on the module is a change from a 4 wire connection between the module and the display to a 3 wire connection. The 3 additional parts were a new display panel and two 4 to 3 wire adaptor wires. one for each end of the wires connecting the module to the display. There were no instructions with the upgrade but looking at the parts it was an obvious fix.
Thanks for all the help, Lee

Yes, I replaced both and all is working again. I am going to have to work on my computer skills to be able to send pics..
Thanks again, Lee

Lee - who did you order the replacement parts from and do you have the part numbers. I am looking at trying to fix the same problem on my 2006 Journey. If you any cost information as well, that would be great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom