You might try Garmin's POI Factory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerArdra

The Garmin POI FACTORY is a list of categories' with hundreds of places that you might want to go to.  For example we always use the one called "16000 campgrounds in the US" because it is so complete and accurate leading to the front door of a campground office.  Other categories' are Lowes and Home Depot which have been handy when we are in a town with which we are unfamiliar.

BTW, I just saw that the 16000 campgrounds in our GPS is now 23,325 campgrounds in the US.  I need to update it.

If you have a Garmin GPS what you do is go to Garmin web site and download the POI FACTORY loader and then go through the list of categories they have such as Home Depot, Red Lobster restaurants, Flying J, and many other categories', choose which ones you want and download them into your Garmin GPS.

For years we used it in our  NUVI 5000 and now it's in our NUVI 2757.

You might start here...
http://www.poi-factory.com/learn/garmin

JerryF

Thanks for posting that Jerry, much appreciated.

If you set up an account at POI-Factory (free), you can specify selected files as Favorites and when you log in, it will show you the updated files since your last download of each of them.  I update our Nuvi at least once a quarter, usually when the Garmin maps are updated.

Interesting Ned, I will have to do that, I have the account but never used it in that fashion :D

If you have a Garmin GPS what you do is go to Garmin web site and download the POI FACTORY loader

Like JerryF, I am a big user of POIs available from the POI Factory: Rest Stops, US State Boarders, FJ Stations and several others I made for myself are all loaded on my Garmin and use the Garmin voice to alert me when one pops up. (A POI I made as a joke is one in which the  GPS plays "Home on the Range" when I arrive at my home addresses....)

A small correction to Jerry's post above: The correct title for Garmin software is POI Loader for Windows and is available here:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927

Another interesting piece of free software for POI users is the Extra POI Editor which allows you to change/correct or set the coordinates, change or edit the information shown on the GPS screen for the POI and view the actual point on a map or on Google World (a real picture!!) TurboCCC also has a number of other pieces of free software relating to POI functions as well.

http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor

I second (or 3rd,4th) POI Factory.  I find the POI files that I use are updated frequently.  I've sent corrections to the person maintaining the file and an updated file is usually posted on the site within a few days.

The U.S. Camprounds file is far superior to any that the gps manufacturers include in their data base.

Hi. Slightly off topic. Seems u guys are quite pleased with Garmin. Does n e one use the RV version? and is it worth the premium price? I have an old 7 yr. old Nuvi that still works great with traffic and whatnot but no free map/poi updates thus I haven't updated it for a while. Now with the new RV I am considering buying new. Any input greatly appreciated.
Regards
Stephen

I just updated our Garmin so we now have 20350 US Campgrounds listed instead of the previous 16000.  Such a hardship with ONLY 16000 US campgrounds listed.

We have had 4 or 5 Garmin's over the years and our newest, the NUVI 6757 with the 7 inch screen, is really great especially with the verbal driving instructions which are much improved from our previous NUVI 5000 with the 5 inch screen. 

We don't use RV version GPS's because we use the GPS more often in the car than in the MH and we don't want to be routed as a large MH when in the car.  BTW in 40 years of MH'ing we have only been stopped 2 or 3 times and we either saw the situation or a sign warned us in plenty of time to stop and turn around WITHOUT unhooking the tow car.  Without is the key word.

...more often in the car than in the MH and we don't want to be routed as a large MH when in the car.

My desl 560 has a truck mode, an RV mode and a car mode, so you don't have to have the car routed as an RV. In fact there are a few places where routing the RV as a car is an advantage, since trucks aren't generally allowed in certain places such as Yellowstone, at least according to my Garmin.

OK, the bride and I are tooling down NY 27 (Sunrise Hgwy) heading East to Cedar Point Suffolk County Campground and following directions from my Nuvi 660 (it worked for Columbus when he crossed the Atlantic) and although I programed it so my 11'3' Tall View would b regarded as a truck found ourselves confronted with a RR tressel Luckily with a sign reading 10' 0". Yes discretion is the blah, blah, blah and so we didn't sweep the roof. But I'm thinking $350 for a RV 7" Garmin now appears cheap. Does n e 1 have one of these and does it work as advertised?
Tx
Stephen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom