2006 Cougar 278RKS Fifth Wheel - Newbie questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strider97116

Anyone have experience, good or bad with this coach? We are buying one. Our previous experience RVing was with a Class A, and it didn't go well.

Also, how prevalant are campgrounds with 15 or 20 amp service?  Our coach has 30 amp.

Any ideas on how best to secure an LCD TV for travel?

How much trouble have people had with driving in high winds (think Wyoming) with a 5th wheel?

Thanks for any info.

Hi strider and welcome to The RV Forum.

Most or all campgrounds we've had hookups have had 30A, although we carry a 30A/15A just in case.

We've used different solutions for securing a wall-mounted flat-panel TV while in transit, including TV straps, bungy cords, and Velcro straps. Go to walmart.com and search on 'TV straps', and you'll find an array of solutions.

Sorry, I can't answer the "5th wheel in winds" question, but I'm sure some of our 5th wheel owners will jump in.

You also might note that the term coach generally refers to a motorhome, usually class A, rather than to a trailer (see the Glossary link above, too), although they are both RVs.

Like Tom, I don't know much about 5th wheels, but many folks have commented that they are less of a problem than a travel trailer (straight hitch type). As for the TV I'd add to Tom's comments that some folks lay them on the bed for travel (though not the old CRT units).

The only time I had an issue with wind was a 30mph crosswinds. Headwinds will reduce your gas mileage but not really a problem to drive in. I would rather set still when we have high winds.

I really can't say exact how a 5th wheel is for towing in the wind but I know my travel trailer with a flat roof tows rather well in the wind. As for a 5th wheel they tend to step up over the truck or tow vehicle so they have a taller profile in the wind and not very straight for wind to travel over.

[quote author=Larry N]... some folks lay them on the bed for travel.[/quote]

We've done that numerous times with TVs that were not anchored to the wall. Hadn't thought of removing TVs that were anchored and placing them on the bed. It's definitely a "safe" solution.

Back
Top Bottom