Insurance Question from Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55wed55

Hi all, I'm just bought a used 2011 Crossroads Cruiser 5th wheel and a 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 dually diesel. Plan on using on long weekends this year and in a year or two for longer trips. I have a question about insurance.

Since I live in North East Ohio I plan on storing the truck and trailer over the winter. I called my current auto insurer and this is what he told me.

"The premium for the Truck. It is basically $55.47 month while it is on the road. When you put it in storage, it is only $11 Month.

I looked at the storage mode for the Trailer. What typically happens with a Trailer, is that it is being protected outside and inside by the comprehensive coverage.  The liability is extended automatically from the vehicle towing it. However, comprehensive is the most expensive part of a camper policy. What I see right now is: Active use total premium: $41.96 Month. Storage (Comprehensive only) not available. Another other option might be to increase the Deductible for the Camper when in storage."

Can anyone suggest an insurance company that might give me a better price on the trailer because I plan on storing it for at least 6 months? Or is this normal for insurance companies.

Thanks!

Best thing to do is just call around to difference insurance companies for comparable quotes.  Rates and coverages vary state by state, so one person's experience here may differ from someone else.

That said, I would definitely recommend Progressive be one of the companies you check for RV coverage.  They seem to be very competitive with RV coverages.  When I had my Class A gas motorhome, the premium only cost around $275-$300 per year ($25/month on the high end).  That was for an older gas rig, but a trailer should be even cheaper since there is no drivetrain.  I used Progressive for a few claims (awning replacement, windshield replacement, and a couple roadside assistance tire changes) and had pretty good experiences there too.

All I can say is two things.

Most storage facilities have a sign, and some a paragraph in the contract, that absolves them of responsibility..

You really need to ask a legal professional what those signs and paragraphs mean.. (I can not give legal advice other than to consult with a professional,  Plus it may vary depending on precise wording and where you sign (What state/county/city).

Second is a song title,  When it comes to Insurance the theme song is SHOP AROUND

Insurance agents are a dime a dozen so if you want one that'll give you some loving do the SHOP AROUND.

scottydl said:
I would definitely recommend Progressive

I concur... ;D I have Progressive for our RV insurance, We lost our awning in a wind storm in April of this year, the policy has a $500.00 deductible :(, after an adjuster looked @ the damage, we received a check for $512.00 (actually $1012.00 -deductible) parts were $357.00. I reinstalled the awning fabric and arms myself and banked $155,00 ;D First time that ever happened 8)
Keith :-*

If a tree crushes it while in storage, with no comprehensive, you may be SOL. Shop around, find coverage 24/7/365 no matter where it is.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom