"LITE" 5ER & TRAILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

I notice that most manufacturers offer both  "Lite"  and "normal?" versions of their RV's.  Obviously, one weighs less than the other, but it seems most "comforts" are still included.

What is the real difference between a "Lite" and normal trailer??

What do they leave out to reduce the weight?

grashley said:
I notice that most manufacturers offer both  "Lite"  and "normal?" versions of their RV's.  Obviously, one weighs less than the other, but it seems most "comforts" are still included.

What is the real difference between a "Lite" and normal trailer??

What do they leave out to reduce the weight?

Could be lighter materials for cabinets, aluminum framing instead of wood, all the way up to thinner trailer frames.  I have a 30' "Ultra Lite" Palomino travel trailer....and it still grosses at 7800 lbs.  I've had no issues with it's structural rigidity.  It's aluminum framed and seems well built.

There is things that they cut back on like tank sizes (less water, lass black and grey). Luan cabinets or MDF wood. Lighten the frame. Basically less of everything.

Like my Jayco Eagle is the reverse. Double square tube steel frame, real wood cabinets, larger holding tanks, Dining area is plywood benches 1/2 inch or better.

Thickness of wood used for flooring. Some of the "lites/lights" don't have much more that a sheet of luan paneling under the carpet/vinyl.

The "plywood" under the bench seats in our TT is thin lauan. I pause when a larger guest sits down. So far so good.

The plywood under the mattress is 3/8" CDX. I added bracing underneath to remove the sagging (we're small people)

The side wall is 1/8" fiberglass (maybe a smidge less) + a foam core that laminates the fiberglass to + 1/8" lauan paneling. Structurally it seems to work just fine. No complaints until we want to run a wire in the wall.

The TT floor is a good quality 3/4" plywood.

I doubt the TT can take a punch. On the good side if anything serious happens to the TT we're getting a shiny new one.

Smaller tank capacities is also common.  I have seen some "lite" versions have a 20 gallon fresh water tank in stead of 40 or larger.

To me "light" means you'll be far more restricted in your weight carrying capacity in favor of a lesser tow vehicle.

So if all you are going to be doing is the occasional 2 week summer camping trip the lighter trailer will
mean you don't have to go out and buy a monster truck to pull it.

But if you are a full timer you're going to want at least 700-1000 pounds of extra capacity to play with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom